Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

6 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It could also hurt us and other countries because if you have investments or any money in Russia you can basically say goodbye to that.

I mean, given *waves arms around madly* all this, if you decided that Russia is where you still wanted your investments to be this evening, I'd be struggling to sympathise with your* potential losses.

*your in the impersonal sense, obviously. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I mean, given *waves arms around madly* all this, if you decided that Russia is where you still wanted your investments to be this evening, I'd be struggling to sympathise with your* potential losses.

*your in the impersonal sense, obviously. 

Totally. If you invested there you knew the risks and you’re probably part of the problem anyway…

I’d bet there’s more than a few MPs and high net wealth uk individuals involved though. I bet they also donate heavily to our political parties.

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

I’d bet there’s more than a few MPs and high net wealth uk individuals involved though. I bet they also donate heavily to our political parties.

Nah it's ok Jacob Rees-Mogg pulled all his investments out of Russia a while back after reading the security bulletins

12 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It’s what the banks use to transfer money between themselves. It effectively cuts them off from international capital markets.

It could in theory collapse their banking system, currency. Basically wreck them as an economy very quickly.

It could also hurt us and other countries because if you have investments or any money in Russia you can basically say goodbye to that.

This. It would cripple Russian economy and require their state to bail out everything. Problem is it would do lots of damage to us. It would make buying any Russian oil or gas next to impossible and would damage our economies. It won't happen as it'll disproportionately hit different economies. Germany would be most impacted for example

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah it's ok Jacob Rees-Mogg pulled all his investments out of Russia a while back after reading the security bulletins

I just assume that most Tory MPs are on the Kremlin payroll anyway, got the necessary intel weeks ago and moved their assets.

Any non-Tory MP gets to learn a valuable life-lesson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This. It would cripple Russian economy and require their state to bail out everything. Problem is it would do lots of damage to us. It would make buying any Russian oil or gas next to impossible and would damage our economies. It won't happen as it'll disproportionately hit different economies. Germany would be most impacted for example

Yes, I read it as they won't ban them from SWIFT until we stop buying their oil and gas as it would be almost impossible to buy oil and gas. 

They can't afford to stop buying their oil and gas. 

I had an email from eon today telling me that their price rises in April will see my gas and electricity bill go up by £1,000 per annum.  That's £1k I need to find next year with non war problems hitting.   How expensive will it get after that if we turn off the Russian tap? 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's at times like this I wonder if all the he/him, them/they pronoun stuff is what we should have been focussing on as a society.

Surely, surely I am missing some clever satirical point? I am aren’t I? 

5 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Is it just me but Biden seems super happy is his live press right now for what must be a really shit day for most people?

He sounds like an old man struggling to read an autocue. 

• Like 1

Is it just me but Biden seems super happy is his live press right now for what must be a really shit day for most people?

I think he was laughing at the pathetic attempts by some of the journalists trying to stoke the flames and put words in his mouth tbh. 

If you're going to go into politics with an aim to go to the top this is the kind of thing you're going to relish. It's the big events that punctuate your career. A history book moment.

I assume Putin will now be considered a War Criminal? Will there be a trial (in his absence) at The Hague?

He's started an illegal war resulting in probably thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of people. 

Watching Biden struggle to read autocue was a hard watch , interesting when he’s in free form answering  questions he looks much more assured …. Until it descended into journalists shouting over the top of each other 

pretty much confirmed that most world leaders have been acting in sync in their responses , but Ukraine aren’t getting article 4 treatment anytime soon 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

But wouldn't that upset a whole different applecart. ? - Move away from oil a lot of countries loose a revenue supply. 

Fair enough, let’s stay beholden to murderous Arab regimes and Russia.

Oh, hang on, what would be the plan for global warming? What would be the plan for when the oil does finally run out?

• Like 1

Â