Truck terror attack in Sweden

TrentVilla

Not the first not the last most likely. It's such a crying shame innocent people always get pulled into the political schemes of people chasing agendas. My thoughts go out to all my compatriots in my hometown. I just hope this doesn't divide us more, because I know of a certain party that will try and capitilize from this, SD (our far-right party).

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

24-hour news is a massive problem with things like this. It will be rolling news for at least three days - and of course, people will get angry and blame immigrants and so on. 

My main issue with 24-hour news is that it's 24-hour. Anything that has to fill an unending span of time will eventually talk too much about something.

We see it each and every time. An attack happens and the news is nothing but informative and investigative they are after the facts and nothing more, but as the hours and days roll on the conversation moves to places I feel it doesn't need to.

In a couple days all the news will talk about is the name of the attacker, where he was from, his life history, his motive, his total death toll and while it makes him a villain to most it makes him a hero to others. The news by talking about him as a person, by making him famous makes him an inspiration to other potential jihadists out there that need that push to carry out their own attack.

News is great and so is social media, but while we think we are vilifying the attacker we're making him into a hero for other radical Muslims.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think the morality call is fairly straight forward on someone who drives a truck into innocent people personally.

I'm not saying they're good people, or proposing a "hug a jihadi" campaign. I just think that labelling them 'evil' reduces them to a 2D disney villain caricature of an enemy, removing the subtleties of the causes of the rise of islamism. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daweii said:

My main issue with 24-hour news is that it's 24-hour. Anything that has to fill an unending span of time will eventually talk too much about something.

We see it each and every time. An attack happens and the news is nothing but informative and investigative they are after the facts and nothing more, but as the hours and days roll on the conversation moves to places I feel it doesn't need to.

In a couple days all the news will talk about is the name of the attacker, where he was from, his life history, his motive, his total death toll and while it makes him a villain to most it makes him a hero to others. The news by talking about him as a person, by making him famous makes him an inspiration to other potential jihadists out there that need that push to carry out their own attack.

News is great and so is social media, but while we think we are vilifying the attacker we're making him into a hero for other radical Muslims.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I gave up on the news, twitter, facebook etc a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'm not sure I agree with that, I gave up on the news, twitter, facebook etc a long time ago.

Agreed. I think a lot of social media (not all of it) just turns some people into narcissistic arseholes.

A few sources are now saying a man has been arrested, fitting the description of the fugitive, slightly injured, and confessing.

Pinch of salt and all that

Assuming this attacker was an immigrant or refugee, the guy basically won the lottery with a free ride in Sweden of all places. This is his gratitude...so sick of these bastards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

This shit is never going away and it's only going to escalate. What a horrible world we are leaving future generations. 

People have probably been saying this for centuries and will do for centuries to come. Can you imagine the whole world in utter peace though, what a lovely thought.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Assuming this attacker was an immigrant or refugee, the guy basically won the lottery with a free ride in Sweden of all places. This is his gratitude...so sick of these bastards.

being Sweden its probably more likely he was born and bred in Sweden. probably of foreign heritage though

Was just reading about Stockholm and noticed the article underneath. Seems the young woman who jumped into the Thames to avoid the Westminster attacker's car has sadly died in hospital. 

These idiots are doing this horrible shit everywhere and it's just so bloody futile. 

RIP to them all, until the next time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Was just reading about Stockholm and noticed the article underneath. Seems the young woman who jumped into the Thames to avoid the Westminster attacker's car has sadly died in hospital. 

These idiots are doing this horrible shit everywhere and it's just so bloody futile. 

RIP to them all, until the next time. 

Yeah, 31. Visiting London with her boyfriend (also injured) who was going to propose later that day.

An complete and utter tragic waste (not more or less than those murdered in Syriaor anywhere else for that matter before we go there again) of life that achieves nothing.

As you say, until the next time...

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Not sure that you can assume that to be honest.

• Like 1

Best picture of the day is this heavily armed police officer in full gear helping an old disabled woman over a crossing just moments after the attack.

Ivar Arpis foto.

• Like 1

39 Y.O Uzbeki citizen, father of 4 working in construction arrested suspected of being the driver.

Supposedly he had a balaclava and pieces of glass on his clothes and he's confessed when arrested. Has Daesh links on his Facebook.

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah, 31. Visiting London with her boyfriend (also injured) who was going to propose later that day.

Jesus, that is awful. So sad.

There is a pretty disturbing video from within a clothes store, it shows people walking around then suddenly running for their lives as the truck flies past. It's not graphic in any way but it's pretty frightening.

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not sure that you can assume that to be honest.

their pm said it was a terrorist attack, the swedish muslim population is still new compared with most other west europe countries. and now the reports are saying he is an immigrant, so correct assumption ftw :D

Â