Truck terror attack in Sweden

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Like? This is their first terror attack in 7 years.

Donald Trump-tier soundbite.

Rape? Grenade attacks? The fact there are some pretty big issues over there is undeniable.

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not sure about the grenade attacks, but the supposed Swedish rape epidemic is a pretty nasty misconception from what I understand. I'm sure @sne or @osmark86 can illuminate further.This is from the Swedish government:

Clicky

From The Local, emphasis mine. One of the problems of the internet age I guess, misconceptions spread fast.

I'd read a few explanations; on both sides of the political sprectrum so to speak and assumed the explanation lay someway in the middle but that's a  pretty comprehensive debunking and a reassuring read.

• Like 2

Since I've no interest in delving deep into Swedish politics as it would take a small essay to do so, I'll dumb it down.

Something you really should not do as it leads to sweeping generalizations and Trump characters winning the election, but anyhow...

Sweden doesn't have "huge problems" or organized muslim rape gangs roaming the streets.

We do however (IMO) have a problem in that the established parties don't really wan't to handle the issues and problems people actually have and see in their everyday life and that causes ignorant people to find solutions in populist parties, religion or in just becoming apathetic and watching the Eurovision Song Contest like morons.

Sweden have received a lot of refugees in the last few years and that puts stress on everything from schools to hospitals, housing and every other part of society.

This will take a lot of effort to solve, and there is no easy quick fix. 

Edit: One of the things that really disgusts me was how quickly people on either side of the political spectrum wanted to make politics out of this tragedy.

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, blandy said:

The UK arms deal with Saudi was set up in the 80s and AFAIK comes under contract review every 5 years. I don't believe it's as simple as the Saudis deciding they want some woosh-bangs to set off on Yemen and shopping round for some. I might be wrong, but I think that's the way the contract, which is between the UK govt and the Saudi govt is done.

No doubt the UK govt could cancel it. The implications would be huge, but what it wouldn't do is save a single life.

There's a real difference between maintaining a long standing contract with someone and looking for a new market to sell some bombs to Assad.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's likely to involve either diplomacy or a world wide agreement on restricting arms sales.  Unilaterally cancelling the UK Saudi deal will change nothing. 

We're having our cake and eating it. Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has accused Putin and Russia of being complicit in gas attacks on civilians 'by proxy', as they are protecting and aiding the Syrian regime.

Politics Home

The Defence Secretary said: “Russia must show the resolve necessary to bring this regime to heel. The Russians have influence in the region. They helped broker the original deal to put chemical weapons out of commission. This latest war crime happened on their watch…

“By proxy Russia is responsible for every civilian death last week.

Meanwhile the Saudi regime turns the dust of Yemen in to smaller finer dust mixed with a little blood and brain.

'Maintaining a long standing contract', what a sanitized turn of phrase for continuing to sell weapons to known murderers.

• Like 1

There has been a horrific picture circulating of one of the victims, turns out it was an 11 year old school girl on her way home.

Just horrendous.

What an earth was the person thinking who took the picture and put it on the net.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

There has been a horrific picture circulating of one of the victims, turns out it was an 11 year old school girl on her way home.

Just horrendous.

What an earth was the person thinking who took the picture and put it on the net.

If its the one I'm thinking of then I just hope her family and friends never see it. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Just horrendous.

Haven't seen it and would rather not tbh. I think people don't even think about the potential hurt or consequences of such actions. It's so easy to anonymously share something like that and requires no afterthought. 

8 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Haven't seen it and would rather not tbh. I think people don't even think about the potential hurt or consequences of such actions. It's so easy to anonymously share something like that and requires no afterthought. 

I suggest you don't, I had no desire to and wish I hadn't. Sharing it is one thing but taking it.... there are some sick people around.

47 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't even know how you come across these pictures. I hope to avoid them at all costs. 

Twitter. I'm relatively new to it and it's easily done with intention, I know how to avoid it now though for the next time and sadly we all know there will be a next time sooner or later.

14 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We're having our cake and eating it. Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has accused Putin and Russia of being complicit in gas attacks on civilians 'by proxy', as they are protecting and aiding the Syrian regime.

Politics Home

Meanwhile the Saudi regime turns the dust of Yemen in to smaller finer dust mixed with a little blood and brain.

Agreed. Politician in massive hypocrisy It's never happened before. Michael Fallon is a bell.

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't even know how you come across these pictures. I hope to avoid them at all costs. 

I typed #stockholm into Twitter on Friday and it was one of the first things that came up :(

So its easily done and its not aa though you need to search for it 

Edited by Xela

Â