Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'm genuinely surprised so many thought Dr Tony was just going to keep pumping 60m into the club each summer until we went up. How long did people think he'd do it for 5-10 years?!

I thought the breaks would come on next season if we didn't go up but didn't realise FFP restrictions have been tightened so fair enough imo.

Shows how much of a mess we've made of the championship so far that people also think you have to spend stupid amounts to go up. Apart from Newcastle no one else does it. Look at 3 of the teams in the play offs, Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham. Did those three combined even spend 10m this summer?

You need more than that, unity within the club which we haven't had for years and also a never say die attitude on the pitch. We gave up pretty much every time we conceded the first goal this season which is nowhere near good enough for a promotion challenge.

I still think we'll be in the mix next season although more likely atm it will be more in the top 6 than a serious challenge for top 2 which will still be a disappointment to me as we've had a year to adapt to this level now and should know what to do to go up.

I agree, we will just have to be clever in the transfer market in the short term, and it may help to focus the attention of the staff not to be so scatter gun with the transfer policy. Tony has pumped in a good amount of money so far for phase one of the rebuild, bearing in mind we had another splurge in the market in January. We now need to move on a lot of deadwood, otherwise we will end up in a similar boat to the Lerner years where we have a bunch of highly paid players sitting around doing nothing for their money and eating into our annual budget. I think the money will be there if/when we are promoted for strengthening, as the financial handcuffs will be loosened then.

I am hoping that the players bought in January will be fully settled now or during the summer, and ready to hit the ground running next season. I think we probably only need 3-4 signings maximum anyway, as too many signings will only disrupt the squad again. The one major concern for me is the Kodjia injury, and how quickly he will get up to speed after missing the pre-season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I'm genuinely surprised so many thought Dr Tony was just going to keep pumping 60m into the club each summer until we went up. How long did people think he'd do it for 5-10 years?!

I thought the breaks would come on next season if we didn't go up but didn't realise FFP restrictions have been tightened so fair enough imo.

Shows how much of a mess we've made of the championship so far that people also think you have to spend stupid amounts to go up. Apart from Newcastle no one else does it. Look at 3 of the teams in the play offs, Huddersfield, Reading and Fulham. Did those three combined even spend 10m this summer?

You need more than that, unity within the club which we haven't had for years and also a never say die attitude on the pitch. We gave up pretty much every time we conceded the first goal this season which is nowhere near good enough for a promotion challenge.

I still think we'll be in the mix next season although more likely atm it will be more in the top 6 than a serious challenge for top 2 which will still be a disappointment to me as we've had a year to adapt to this level now and should know what to do to go up.

Like you, I'm surprised that people would think that, but also that people would think we need to be doing that at all.  You make the initial investment.  You spend the big bucks getting them in.  We've done that now.  The next stage is to integrate, remove deadwood and supplement where needed.  It's not like "oh that 60m didn't work, let's try this 60m instead".  By and large we've got the squad on paper, save for a few investments here and there which should easily come from selling some unneeded or saleable assets.

People who were worried about the irresponisble spending in relation to FFP can now relax on that front.

The one thing I think this new development will have done is all but seal the fate of some of the players we were wondering about.

For a start I think Amavi is now an absolute gonner, because we will need the money from his sale to help towards bringing in whatever is needed.  Similarly, I am hoping against hope that someone comes in for Leandro Bacuna.  Although I suspect he's worth nothing on the market and is probably unfortunately more valuable to Bruce in the squad than he is in the bank account.  Anyone on the fringes who now has a value will probably be for sale.  McCormack is another one although again I think the season he just experienced has absolutely slashed his market value.

All in all, I think given what we've brought in, what we can sell and what we need, it's more than do-able and I still expect this squad to be in the mix and to go up in the end.

The goal hasn't changed.  It's promotion or failure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomsub said:

I agree with thIs and very well reasoned.

The only point I disagree on is Bacuna. I think his versatility and willingness are very much under valued.

You are Bacuna and I claim my £5

• Like 1

“To let 12 or 13 go in the summer and bring in three or four is my ideal scenario," said Bruce.

Click

That is a hell of lot to be getting rid, and obviously shows Bruce isn't happy with some at the club.

I'm thinking:

1. Gil

2. Veretout

3. Sanchez

4. Kozak 

5. Tsihbola

6. Amavi

7. Bunn (as in a free)

8. Richards

9. Bacuna (I hope)

10. Gardner

11. Grealish (not that I would but think Bruce will see a good way of getting funds in)

12. McCormack 

13. Cissokho (completely forgot him)

Edited by mikeyp102

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

10. Gardner

12. McCormack 

Didn't Bruce just give Gardner a new bumper 5 year deal? you don't do that then sell the player a few months later.

Also he's come out and said McCormack will be given another chance, and he's be daft not to.

Agree with the rest (not Grealish though)

17 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Linked with Marley Watkins on a bosman, he left Barnsley last week

10 goals and 11 assists this season.

could get best out of Hourihane if they linked up well

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

“To let 12 or 13 go in the summer and bring in three or four is my ideal scenario," said Bruce.

Click

That is a hell of lot to be getting rid, and obviously shows Bruce isn't happy with some at the club.

I'm thinking:

1. Gil

2. Veretout

3. Sanchez

4. Kozak 

5. Tsihbola

6. Amavi

7. Bunn (as in a free)

8. Richards

9. Bacuna (I hope)

10. Gardner

11. Grealish (not that I would but think Bruce will see a good way of getting funds in)

12. McCormack 

13. Cissokho (completely forgot him)

Gollini and a Elphick will be on the list. Grealish and McCormack won't be. I'd like Tishbola to have preseason to see if he can step up. It'll be a busy summer I just hope we can get rid of the ones we want to.  From a personal point Id like Hutton gone aswelll we don't need 3 right backs and it's only being mid table in Championship that he's looked ok. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Linked with Marley Watkins on a bosman, he left Barnsley last week

10 goals and 11 assists this season.

A versatile winger and on a free. 

Just what we need! 

• Like 3

Just now, theboyangel said:

A versatile winger and on a free. 

Just what we need! 

he's a good player as well can play both wings and also in centre!! gives it his all which is a lot more than most of our squad.

Cardiff, Leeds, Brentford and about 10 other teams want him on a free so best be quick.

• Like 1

Wasn't this kind of a transfer window hinted at after Jan? Can't remember exact details but I'm sure the Doc said something along the lines of we thought we were too far away for a real promotion push this season, so decided to buy a few players in Jan and do a mini rebuild then instead to effectively give them an extra few months settling in before the push next year? So I'd imagine half of our "Summer" business was already done and we'll see a lot more of the Jan signings next season, coupled with a few in and out from a "sell to buy" policy should see us ok

Edited by weedman
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Junxs said:

Didn't Bruce just give Gardner a new bumper 5 year deal? you don't do that then sell the player a few months later.

Also he's come out and said McCormack will be given another chance, and he's be daft not to.

Agree with the rest (not Grealish though)

Re Gards, Stops him leaving on a free though.

Mccormack may be given a shot, but if an offer comes in for him we may accept

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Gollini and a Elphick will be on the list. Grealish and McCormack won't be. I'd like Tishbola to have preseason to see if he can step up. It'll be a busy summer I just hope we can get rid of the ones we want to.  From a personal point Id like Hutton gone aswelll we don't need 3 right backs and it's only being mid table in Championship that he's looked ok. 

Isn't Gollini on a 2 yr loan?

Not sure on elphick, may be kept as a back up for Chester (not baker as Chester needs a dominant cb next to him, as does elphick)

It's obviously all guess work, but interesting to see

Going through the squad and ticking off the players which I don't think Bruce would consider selling has left me with:

1 Gollini

4 Richards

6 Elphick

7 Bacuna

8 Tshibola

11 Agbonlahor

13 Steer

18 Kozak

22 Gardner

23 Amavi

29 Cissokho

31 Bunn

44 McCormack

## Gil

## Veretout

## Sanchez

I could add a few academy players to that like Toner, Mason and Cowans but I don't think he was talking about them. It seems to me to be a more figurative suggestion of outs and ins than an exact number. I'd imagine he's suggesting that the squad is too big and we need to have roughly 8-10 less players than we currently do on the books by September. 

With Kozak, Sanchez and Mason gone, Bunn out of contract and the loaned out Gollini, Cissokho, Gil and Veretout likely to have already played their last games for us that's already 8 players. So effectively 4 - 6 of the current deadwood in the squad shipped out and replaced with players on smaller contracts and a better attitude. 

I think only one of Elphick or Richards will go and be replaced with another centre back who will push or replace Baker.

I think Amavi will go and we'll look to bring in another left back to provide competition to Neil Taylor. I would like someone like Charlie Taylor from Leeds but think that's unlikely. But a player of that potential who could push for the starting spot would be great if Amavi attracts a good fee.

I think one of Tshibola or Gardner  will go. I think Gardner was given a contract so that he doesn't leave for nothing. I imagine a Forest or lower championship team will pick him up and we'll then replace him with a player of a similar mould to Hourihane who could then slot in when needed without disrupting the teams style of play. 

I think Johnstone will sign permanently but if not, we'll bring in a keeper for certain. I don't think Steer will leave but I also don't see him having any future here so if he wants regular football we may either have to bring in a second keeper, or promote an academy keeper. A third option would be to recall Gollini as competition. 

Finally I see us signing one or two wingers on a free, the fact we've been linked to Watkins and Boyd suggests to me we're looking at more wide options who won't require a big fee to sign. Even though that would bring us up to 5 or 6 players, I can see that happening with Bruce maybe even bringing in a loan or 2. The wide options need addressing and I think once we've signed 4 players with a transfer fee, the rest will be loans and frees. There's also the chance that Bruce will just let De Laet or an academy player fill in at left back and that's not on the shopping list 

Edited by skarroki

I assume '12 or 13' is code for 'some large number I can't be arsed to be specific about', because it seems very large if actually true - presumably we would be starting the season without a 25-man squad.