17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nope, it's not. They were not motivated at all, as shown by the most midtable outfit of the league winning as they did. 

Why would a bunch of professionals, whose entire aim this season is promotion (some of them only joining to try and achieve this goal) give up the day after Cardiff losing opened it up again?

If your theory had any credit to it, they would have given up against reading, not the day after cardiff lost. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why would a bunch of professionals, whose entire aim this season is promotion (some of them only joining to try and achieve this goal) give up the day after Cardiff losing opened it up again?

If your theory had any credit to it, they would have given up against reading, not the day after cardiff lost. 

I'm not saying they threw the game, but they looked like a team 'on the beach' - therefore I am saying there is hope that they will be better in a bigger single (or two) matches at the crux of the season. You are saying that they tried their best and lost to a midtable team, therefore there is no hope. Somewhere in between the truth shall be found!

48 minutes ago, Jareth said:

there is hope that they will be better in a bigger single (or two) matches at the crux of the season. 

Despite recent games I fully expect us to be well up for the play offs. Certainly the game in front of a full house at VP and then in hopefully a full house Wembley final.

I just commented in the Bruce thread that the games this season with the biggest crowds/the biggest atmospheres/hype/expectation in the derby's against Sha and Wolves we produced arguably our best performances of the season and really stepped up to the plate. Those games didn't in anyway phase us.

Just focusing on what we need to do now in the next 5 games it would be nice if we could secure 4th and do it in the next 3 games. Derby have a tough run and I can't see them getting anymore than 78 points and Boro and Millwall play each other and also have tough runs so won't be getting anymore than 76/77 points.

If we can secure our position with a couple of games to go it would allow us to rest a few a players and go into the play off games fresh. It could be an advantage we have over the others as Fulham/Cardiff are likely to go to the last game fighting over automatic and Derby/Boro/Millwall/Bristol are likely to go to the wire in terms of securing a play off place.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Would need a good 7-8 first teamers to be signed.

we've known that all along anyway to be fair irrespective of our recent form

• Like 2

Well, automatic promotion is well and truly over. The only hope now is through the play offs.........

Word of advise, don't get putting a deposit down on that Limo for the Wembley trip just yet !!!!!!!

On 07/04/2018 at 15:11, Zatman said:

Is this an official club line or Bruce line. Because I am appalled if that is the case

I'm saying that we aren't good enough for automatic as I have been saying all season and as such, play offs were our only realistic chance of going up. So in my view, we are on track.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

This team will struggle massively in top flight if we go up

There.....maybe  lies a very poignant point.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

More like 11.

This. Our best 11.. there's not many I would want to be in the premier league. Alot will be in the squad like kodjia snoddy grealish Elmo hourihane. With the exception of Chester who could keep his spot. The rest need upgrading. Plus a new manager. 

Edited by KSV

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Already looking for the positives of missing out on promotion? ;) 

We might keep JT.

Teasing......The club need the money.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On a serious note maybe a few years in this league might mean we one day go up as a team with a future together rather than a bunch of players put together just to get us up. 

I think you make a good point and one more significant than we may think.

......it has crossed my mind more than once.

ps you could have hit the bullseye.:mellow:

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jareth said:

Nope, it's not. They were not motivated at all, as shown by the most midtable outfit of the league winning as they did. 

In my view the key difference from the players was Norwich had no fear, our lot were a bag of nerves. I think it’s unfair to say they had no motivation, as I also think those who have said they had no passion or desire were unfair.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Boll**ks.  Yesterday's result will also annoy Keith Wyness as had we won I reckon there would have been about another 3-4,000 on Tuesday gate. 

Whilst I think you are right I admit to being baffled by it. Winning against Cardiff is as important now as it was at any other stage - every game matters from a confidence point of view, it matters if we can dent Cardiff’s belief further, it matters where we finish, and anyway it should be a good game....it’s a sad state of affairs if 3-4 thousand people need the added motivation of us going up automatically..