17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Cardiff have the hardest run on and Fulham the easiest - with Fulham now only a point behind us I fear they will continue to win games while we will stutter again at least twice - Cardiff have a cushion they will need as Fulham will chase them to the end . 

‘Whilst I think we could possibly finish above Cardiff I just don’t see us finishing above Fulham . 

I honestly don't think it matters a jot of who we all face.....QPR were not deemed a concern.

its a basic fact of being prepared.....ironic in the face of our motto.

Its all down to the top teams performing or not on the day.

• Like 3

Interesting on how Eberechi Eze (19)seen the scenario that lead to our downfall on Tuesday.

He said "Their intention was to attack us in area's where we would most likely make a mistake.....Matt Smith was causing problems with his presence and Mile Jedinak was having to come deep to help out, this created space for me to move in to, unhindered.....this was creating openings for us.

simple I guess but effective.

It brings me back to my own thoughts that players have to deal with situations on their own.....if others have to come to their aid, gaps are being left to be exploited.

I have always been of the mind you have to win your own battle.

Interesting coming from him, none the less.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

Interesting on how Eberechi Eze (19)seen the scenario that lead to our downfall on Tuesday.

He said "Their intention was to attack us in area's where we would most likely make a mistake.....Matt Smith was causing problems with his presence and Mile Jedinak was having to come deep to help out, this created space for me to move in to, unhindered.....this was creating openings for us.

It brings me back to my own thoughts that players have to deal with situations on their own.....if others have to come to their aid, gaps are being left to be exploited.

He was very impressive on the night. As were a few of the players that were trying to run with the ball. 

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Cardiff are not in better form than Fulham - fulham are 15 unbeaten , Cardiff have lost 4 times in that period .

both have taken 26 from the last 30 - unless you are looking short term over the last 6 games?

I meant in 6 games. Cardiff have won them all fulham have drawn one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Cardiff have had plenty of injuries too. Updated my run-in prediction. Not nice to look at!

Wolves Result Points   Cardiff Result Points   Villa Result Points   Fulham Result Points
    79       76       69       68
Burton (H) W 82   Derby (A) D 77   Bolton (A) W 72   QPR (H) W 71
Boro (A) D 83   Burton (H) W 80   Hull (A) D 73   Norwich (A) D 72
Hull (H) W 86   Sheff Utd (A) D 81   Reading (H) W 76   Leeds (H) W 75
Cardiff (A) D 87   Wolves (H) D 82   Norwich (A) L 76   Sheff Wed (A) W 78
Derby (H) W 90   Villa (A) L 82   Cardiff (H) W 79   Reading (H) W 81
Blues (H) W 93   Norwich (A) D 83   Leeds (H) W 82   Brentford (H) D 82
Bolton (A) D 94   Forest (H) W 86   Ipswich (A) D 83   Millwall (A) D 83
Sheff Wed (H) W 97   Hull (A) W 89   Derby (H) W 86   Sunderland (H) W 86
Sunderland (A) D 98   Reading (H) W 92   Millwall (A) D 87   Birmingham City (A) W 89

Total Points   98       92       87       89

I would say that is not far off, Omar. I definitely think Fulham will overhaul us. Perhaps even Cardiff. They have such a good run in.

6 hours ago, floody555 said:

Good to see all the doom and gloomers are out again (face palm) At the end of the day we have got more than enough quality to go on another run, yes granted the result and performance wasn't great again QPR but it's the championship, it's what happens. In that 7 game run we didn't exactly play great football but we got the job done, and having some of the characters around we have in the changing room I doubt they will let any players get down about that QPR game. What will be will be and no matter what I'm sure most of you will be backing the team and not moaning.

UTV

So we are not allowed to post justifiable criticism on this site anymore?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its is a really uneven load of fixtures. After Saturday its 2 weeks off, and then 6 games in April, including 2  in 3 days over Easter and 2 games midweek V Cardiff and dirty Leeds. I think we need to be a bit more clever in keeping the players fresh.

Hopefully Kodjia will be at least fit enough for some minutes by the Cardiff match. He can be the spark we need.

Also we have good depth in this team. 

Strikers: Hogan, Grabban, Davis, and maybe Kodjia

Midfield: Hourihane, Lansbury, Whelan, Jedinak, Thor, Adomah, Grealish, Snodgrass, Green if fit, and Onomah. 

Defense: Not so much here. If Axel is still hurt, we only have Terry and Chester. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

You don't think Bruce should have seen that, and done something from the sidelines rather than leaving it to the players to try to work out during the game while they trying to play football and are under pressure?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

You don't think Bruce should have seen that, and done something from the sidelines rather than leaving it to the players to try to work out during the game while they trying to play football and are under pressure?

Multi likes 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Couldn’t agree more, clearly the responsibility of the coach in my view. I don’t how it can possibly be down to the players.... firstly they will be playing to whatever instructions they’ve been given, secondly if one player unilaterally decided to “ do something about it” he’d muck up the whole shape, thirdly how on Earth are players in the middle of the battle expected to work out what to change ?

He got selection wrong, ( clear with hindsight, arguable beforehand ) and tactics, and reacted too slowly - the key issue for me in the defeat.

These elements continue - on occasion -  to be something of an Achilles heel....but then again they are for most Managers.

• Like 2

We should have concentrated on winning the second ball against QPR. They were first to everything. I am convinced if we had played Thor we would have won that game. Not because he is a world beater but because he is more mobile and quicker to the second ball. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, omariqy said:

We should have concentrated on winning the second ball against QPR. They were first to everything. I am convinced if we had played Thor we would have won that game. Not because he is a world beater but because he is more mobile and quicker to the second ball. 

Their young midfielder Eze gave a rationale as why we lost and they won.....explained in one of my earlier posts.

Whether anyone agrees is one thing, but he gave his reasoning, how he saw it.

I guess like most things a combination of factors

Edited by TRO

Grasshopper - I notice you are liking many posts - come back and join in the debate , you are most welcome and missed by many ,especially tro ;) 

‘you are one of us  mate so please join the debate again .

Edited by Eastie
  • Sad 1

I’m just working on the basis now that it’s nice being one of the top four teams in a division for the first time in a long time and let’s see what the end of the season brings. Seems likely to be the playoffs, in which case it’ll be a rollercoaster ride I am sure. If we scrape top two, great, but I think it might be a few points out of reach come May. Bring on the playoffs and JT lifting that trophy at Wembley...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, omariqy said:

yeah the rotation point before it and this about Thor are both right IMO. With the benefit of hindsight then Bruce would have seen on Monday that some of them were knackered and changed a few where he could. 

Ideal world we'd have a couple of players in the key positions we can trust regardless, the way this season has panned out though, we have an eleven, plus a couple who bring our A game. The rest either haven't played or have been poor/components of poor performing team. Which leaves us at the business end of the season relying on 1. zero injuries 2. the same set of players not getting knackered. Playing Sat -> Tues -> Sat needing to win 7 from 9. Not impossible, but playoffs are the more likely than automatic promotion as I see it.

Had we played Thor, Davis or Hogan up top, Lansbury for Hourihane. Then we'd have had at least 3 through the middle who hadn't run themselves into the ground against Wolves. Biggest issue we have is wide though, we cannot replace Albert or Snoddy with the same quality. Well, maybe the biggest issue is Grealish is irreplaceable, but regardless of which is worse, they are both bad ;)

We won 10 out of 12 recently though so who knows.  

• Like 2