17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

I still think Cardiff are more likely to win the league than lose 2nd now. 

So do I

They are the team that are showing the way to win.......they know how to win.

Cardiff have had plenty of injuries too. Updated my run-in prediction. Not nice to look at!

Wolves Result Points   Cardiff Result Points   Villa Result Points   Fulham Result Points
    79       76       69       68
Burton (H) W 82   Derby (A) D 77   Bolton (A) W 72   QPR (H) W 71
Boro (A) D 83   Burton (H) W 80   Hull (A) D 73   Norwich (A) D 72
Hull (H) W 86   Sheff Utd (A) D 81   Reading (H) W 76   Leeds (H) W 75
Cardiff (A) D 87   Wolves (H) D 82   Norwich (A) L 76   Sheff Wed (A) W 78
Derby (H) W 90   Villa (A) L 82   Cardiff (H) W 79   Reading (H) W 81
Blues (H) W 93   Norwich (A) D 83   Leeds (H) W 82   Brentford (H) D 82
Bolton (A) D 94   Forest (H) W 86   Ipswich (A) D 83   Millwall (A) D 83
Sheff Wed (H) W 97   Hull (A) W 89   Derby (H) W 86   Sunderland (H) W 86
Sunderland (A) D 98   Reading (H) W 92   Millwall (A) D 87   Birmingham City (A) W 89

Total Points   98       92       87       89
Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

No way we will win more than 5/6 of our last 9 games IMO.  We have to rely on others slipping up and beating Cardiff. If we don't beat Cardiff then we can forget about anything else. That is crucial. 

We'll drop too many points away to properly challenge for second now I fear.

Wouldn't shock me if we draw at Bolton, Hull are playing better now, Norwich away is always tricky and Millwall on the final day is not a game I'd be confident of winning if we had to.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We'll drop too many points away to properly challenge for second now I fear.

Wouldn't shock me if we draw at Bolton, Hull are playing better now, Norwich away is always tricky and Millwall on the final day is not a game I'd be confident of winning if we had to.

If we play like we did against Wolves.

We can win every game until the season ends.

If we play like we did against QPR we won't take another point.

Simple.

Its all governed by the way we play.

• Like 3

Good to see all the doom and gloomers are out again (face palm) At the end of the day we have got more than enough quality to go on another run, yes granted the result and performance wasn't great again QPR but it's the championship, it's what happens. In that 7 game run we didn't exactly play great football but we got the job done, and having some of the characters around we have in the changing room I doubt they will let any players get down about that QPR game. What will be will be and no matter what I'm sure most of you will be backing the team and not moaning.

UTV

• Like 3

I agree here. We know we have a team to beat anyone in the League after destroying Wolves. Bruce just needs to get that form out of them till the end of the season. Weather the game against Wolves took it out of them for the QPR game, I don't know, (although Wolves looked ok) but we need to be at the top of our game for the rest of the season to have any chance of promotion.

• Like 3

The international break comes at a good time for us as we are badly in need of a break. Lets just hope for a win at Bolton and that Derby do one against Cardiff this weekend, and then the run in will be interesting. Cardiff still have to play us and Wolves, which is a potential 6-point swing right there. QPR was a disaster but we might look back at that results as the catalyst for an unbeaten run-in.  

When the worst-case I can imagine is that we still make the play-offs, we can't be doing that badly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, floody555 said:

Good to see all the doom and gloomers are out again (face palm) At the end of the day we have got more than enough quality to go on another run, yes granted the result and performance wasn't great again QPR but it's the championship, it's what happens. In that 7 game run we didn't exactly play great football but we got the job done, and having some of the characters around we have in the changing room I doubt they will let any players get down about that QPR game. What will be will be and no matter what I'm sure most of you will be backing the team and not moaning.

UTV

more like are (and rightly) stating their concern and criticism for sure a terrible performance.  if Cardiff and fulham were showing the same level of defeats it wouldn't be so bad but this was winnable very winnable and somehow we managed to completely implode. a team that is fighting for promotion at this stage should not be losing in that fashion after destroying the league leaders 4-1. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, floody555 said:

UTV

I'm still quite postitive on our expectations now, but I was proper pissed, an mildly upset with the loss at QPR, especially after killing off Wolves, the so called best team in the league, an they didn't play shite either. If that makes me a doom an gloomer so be it.

• Like 2

I still feel pretty positive. QPR was clearly terrible, and a real waste after Wolves, but we are not the finished article and wont win every game. No one does. if you want to feel better, just look at how far we have come since Hull on the first game. Gabby on the wing, Bacuna in the middle; with now Adomah, Jack or Snodgrass at all. I am confident with this current settled 11 we have enough for play off 100% and an outside bet for 2nd. Everyone can beat everyone in this league. 

1 hour ago, floody555 said:

UTV

If you think the best way to be is to pretend everything is rosey until it’s too late, I suggest you look at the Randy Lerner period to see how that ends. Nothing wrong with legitimate criticism.

• Like 2

Bolton game should show us the character of the team. Plenty of times this season they have bounced back. Fail to win on Saturday and I would feel maybe they are not as strong as we think.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Bolton game should show us the character of the team. Plenty of times this season they have bounced back. Fail to win on Saturday and I would feel maybe they are not as strong as we think.

A big game for us.... i’m not sure what to think. We cannot afford to lose and don’t think we will, but QPR was so awful it makes me question us a bit.

13 minutes ago, Dick said:

A big game for us.... i’m not sure what to think. We cannot afford to lose and don’t think we will, but QPR was so awful it makes me question us a bit.

i am going to go with the expectation at wolves and hope for same result! 

1 hour ago, jimcohen said:

I still feel pretty positive. QPR was clearly terrible, and a real waste after Wolves, but we are not the finished article and wont win every game. No one does. if you want to feel better, just look at how far we have come since Hull on the first game. Gabby on the wing, Bacuna in the middle; with now Adomah, Jack or Snodgrass at all. I am confident with this current settled 11 we have enough for play off 100% and an outside bet for 2nd. Everyone can beat everyone in this league. 

Good post.....no we are not the finished article.....but like you say, come a long way.

We are in a pretty bad spot now. We are relying on Cardiff to heavily mess up to have a chance. Only positive I can take from this is Cardiff still has to play Derby, Wolves, and us. If we and wolves beat Cardiff, that puts them only 1 point ahead of us assuming we win everything else. Derby need some type of result for us to have a chance. 

Us on the other hand still have a few tough matches too. Cardiff and Derby being the hardest ones, and Leeds and Ipswich also being tough. 

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Cardiff are in better form than Wolves and Fulham, they may have  peaked too early. their game shave been fairly easy recently but they will get a lot tougher 

Lets hope QPR is our final blip, but i think its over for 2nd personally. we blew it (yet again) 

Cardiff are not in better form than Fulham - fulham are 15 unbeaten , Cardiff have lost 4 times in that period .

both have taken 26 from the last 30 - unless you are looking short term over the last 6 games?

7 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

Why heavily mess up? Lose to wolves and us isn't a big ask and then its only 1 point in it?

Providing we win our games which Is from from certain after tuesdays debacle .

31 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We are in a pretty bad spot now. We are relying on Cardiff to heavily mess up to have a chance. Only positive I can take from this is Cardiff still has to play Derby, Wolves, and us. If we and wolves beat Cardiff, that puts them only 1 point ahead of us assuming we win everything else. Derby need some type of result for us to have a chance. 

Us on the other hand still have a few tough matches too. Cardiff and Derby being the hardest ones, and Leeds and Ipswich also being tough. 

Cardiff have the hardest run on and Fulham the easiest - with Fulham now only a point behind us I fear they will continue to win games while we will stutter again at least twice - Cardiff have a cushion they will need as Fulham will chase them to the end . 

‘Whilst I think we could possibly finish above Cardiff I just don’t see us finishing above Fulham .