17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Having slept on it, I guess that automatic promotion while unlikely, still can happen. We’d have to win nearly all our remaining games, and hope Cardiff struggle against Wolves, Sheff Utd, Derby and obviously us. Or alternatively they have a couple of nightmare QPR game like us.

Not impossible, but we’re relying on Cardiff slipping up in more games than is perhaps likely.

Not just cardiff but fulham too

And fulham look unstoppable. Why can fulham destroy wolves then go on to win their next games? We destroy wolves and then implode the next game.

It's not good enough if you want to finish second in this league. A complete bottle job.

9 hours ago, deeps said:

I watched them tonight. Were second best for most of the game. They took their chances and defended well once they got their noses in front. Brentford play olè football and try to walk it in the net. Against better teams they are beatable. They have Derby, Wolves, Sheff UTD and us to play (3 of them away) still. 

If Cardiff manage to carry on winning like they are, fair play to them they will deserve to go up.

Our form has been just as good as mosts, long way to go, mate. Cardiff and Fulham will drop points and drop points against some sides you don’t expect, like us tonight. 

Cardiff will drop points but to catch them from here I think we need to win 7 games of the last 9 , not sure fulham will drop points as there run on paper if far easier than both , however fair play to Cardiff , I thought they would slip up last night but they are doing the business on their best run of wins in 30 years and Fulham are on the best run in their entire history,

in hindsight maybe Bruce should have freshened things up but I don’t blame him - what’s done is done and we must move on from here.

If we are in the play offs as looks likely we need to enter them on a high with a positive mindset.

if Cardiff are caught I think it’s more likely to be by fulham than us . 

‘Last night was a game we couldn’t afford to lose and on the back of such a high it is a huge kick in the teeth .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Having watched our first half against Fulham away, and knowing that we didn't have Albert or Jack in the team, I think I would now rather take our chances against them in the play-offs than Cardiff. I think Cardiff will out-muscle us like QPR did last night. I think we can beat footballing sides but not the battlers. Fulham are more the former. 

Indeed .

Cardiff are a big ugly bunch but very effective at what they do - they are the sort of team we struggle to beat .

I just hope Cardiff gain a false sense of security from this round of results, and begin to think its job nearly done and maybe a bit of complacency creeps in. Clutching at straws, I know.

If it is to be playoffs I hope we can regain some momentum going into them and that Fulham and Boro are against one another in one of the semis. Id fancy us much more in a one-off at wembley.

Second is still possible but it would need teams to start doing us a favour against Cardiff and Fulham and that just has not been happening. We can win the tough games so I fancy we will be tough to beat if we end up in the play off lottery. i am hoping that if we don't end up second Fulham do because for me they would be the toughest nut to crack at Wembley.     

• Like 1

Cardiff and Fulham should slip up at some point otherwise both teams would have had 20+ games unbeaten which would be crazy. The question is how many more times are we going to slip up? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Cardiff and Fulham should slip up at some point otherwise both teams would have had 20+ games unbeaten which would be crazy. The question is how many more times are we going to slip up? 

More than them

• Like 1

Play offs is the only way we have anychance of going up this year, last night was a massive kick in the balls to every villa fan who dared to dream of automatic promotion. Would wolves, cardiff or fulham have lost in the manner we did to that qpr side? I think not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Albert said:

Play offs is the only way we have anychance of going up this year, last night was a massive kick in the balls to every villa fan who dared to dream of automatic promotion. Would wolves, cardiff or fulham have lost in the manner we did to that qpr side? I think not. 

So true, and for me this has been the worst result of the season. No excuses for that garbage performance. 

20 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Ideal scenario is we get autos. Plan B is to get Derby in the playoffs and then bring our A game at Wembley. 

At wembly no side has a more experienced team in this league than us. 

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think if we can get Fulham at Wembley in the playoffs, I fancy our chances there more so than over 2 legs.

Automatics is long gone now. 

its not gone....but unlikely.

We get taken out or negated too easily to be considered for Auto spot.

19 minutes ago, Raymond said:

I struggled to see a path to automatic promotion even before QPR, so it feels done and dusted to me. On the bright side, the playoffs should be exciting. 

Nerve wracking more than exciting .

Disappointing as 6 games ago we were above Cardiff - they’ve taken 18 points to our 10 in the last 6 games so fair play to them .

Edited by Eastie

7 hours ago, villarocker said:

From what I saw of the game it looked like they were physically bigger and stronger than us as a team. That was a worry for me as Cardiff appear to be exactly the same and unless we buck our ideas up we will get out-fought in that game too. 

I totally agree.

We are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We can beat anyone, but can be beaten by anyone too.

In my humble opinion the squad has too many samey players.....with the exception of Samba we have no one who can mix the ugly stuff....Jedinak to me looks slow and lumbering now, injuries caught up with him I suspect....most of these teams that unsettle us have one or two 6' 3/4 physically adapted players that get under our skin and disrupt us.

If a team gets in our faces , we struggle.......to have a plan B you need players who can dramatically change things, I don't think we have......what we do is change the bowler, but we don't change the bowling.