17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

As I said in the R & R thread, I think we lost the chance of second tonight, but it makes no difference to the rest of the regular season. Finishing third is a big advantage in the playoffs so we have to aim to finish as high as possible regardless. 

Really deflated.

You just have to keep getting results, especially at home.

7 points in 9 games is too much of a gap unless Cardiff fall in a hole, and they just keep getting results.

Hopefully the experience of our squad makes the difference in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

If fatigue is the reason for tonight’s no show (which may well be true), that six day period when we play Norwich, Cardiff and Leeds will be fun :(

Pretty sure the two play off semi games are usually 72 hours apart aswell. In previous seasons they've done a quick turnaround for them and then 10 day gap to the final.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the players really react to the atmosphere.  It was flat all round today.  We struggle at home in these midweek games. 

Yep. Bristol City and of course Wolves the crowd were on it from the start and the players soaked it in and rose to the occasion.

Reading has the feeling of another dead atmosphere. Derby, Leeds, Cardiff and the probable semi final game shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Agree with all that @KSV, but to nitpick, he has finished in second place twice. Once with blues (06/07) and once with hull (12/13).

That's not nitpicking that's correcting false information sir!

1 hour ago, Nabby said:

The Wolves game we gave everything , our work rate in that game is what got us the win as we battled for everything but its going to take its toll with another game so soon and a team that is lacking some young legs .So you need to change it up , Bruce comments show he throught about changing it but didn't and that has proved costly ..whats worse is its not the first time he has left the team with no changes and its not worked.

No point having a squad if you don't use it 

I am not saying he is blameless....He should know his squad.....He stuck with tradition, don't change a winning team, but it doesn't account for stamina and energy.....they were knackered.

but if he had changed it tonight after beating Wolves 4-1.....and we lost like we did, he would have been hung.

We had no legs and came out second best in just about everything with QPR......Its like Holloway said ....they have had a hard game Saturday, put everything in to it.....get after them and you will win.

JT lost his man for the first and the tone was set......everything after that was down hill.

Eberechi Eze and Massimo Luongo controlled the midfield....the rest is history.

• Like 1

We caught Wolves yet?

Anyway fair play to Steve for saying he got it wrong.

I actually blame the players for this more than the manager tonight.

They came out and literally took the piss.

However, on Steves behalf, he allowed them to keep doing the same shite which obviously wasn't working.

ZERO plan B.

We just kept drilling crosses into their defenders.

This is when someone like Landsbury, or even Birkir should have been in as it was evident we needed to drive through the middle, or something.

Looking like playoffs, and I don't have much faith, because as we all know, we can do Wolves, then do a this.

I saw some statistics somewhere once that the team finishing third in this league rarely get through the play offs and get promoted - it usually is the team finsihing 4th, 5th or 6th ....

A strange night, a couple of minutes after kick off Cardiff were losing and I was hoping we were gonna make some points back on them but come half time we were 2 down and they were winning. Hard to see us getting 2nd now unless Cardiff fall apart and we win every game. :(

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I saw some statistics somewhere once that the team finishing third in this league rarely get through the play offs and get promoted - it usually is the team finsihing 4th, 5th or 6th ....

I wony say its rarely as Norwich and QPR done it in the last 4-5 seasons.

But yeah, its a hard burden.

Although for us thats always going to be even if we were 6th. Expectations will be high.

We still could do it, we need to win this weekend and hope Cardiff and Fulham fail to.

Derby has to go back and win, dont they? :D

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I wony say its rarely as Norwich and QPR done it in the last 4-5 seasons.

But yeah, its a hard burden.

Although for us thats always going to be even if we were 6th. Expectations will be high.

We still could do it, we need to win this weekend and hope Cardiff and Fulham fail to.

Derby has to go back and win, dont they? :D

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

No, 3rd wins it ca 34%, avg. is 25%. 

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

I wonder, if we had lost to Wolves and smashed QPR if we would be as sure it's over. 

As others have said. 7 points, and 3 of them are ours to take leaving 4.. They've got some tough fixtures. 

Over? No. Tough? It's the Championship. 

Lost to Wolves would be bad, but better than were we are now. 

If we lost to wolves we would be seven points behind Cardiff, but with the hope of winning vs qpr and Cardiff dropping points vs Brentford.

Agree its not over, but it takes 8 wins out of 9 for us, or 7 as a minimum if we are lucky. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not saying he is blameless....He should know his squad.....He stuck with tradition, don't change a winning team, but it doesn't account for stamina and energy.....they were knackered.

but if he had changed it tonight after beating Wolves 4-1.....and we lost like we did, he would have been hung.

We had no legs and came out second best in just about everything with QPR......Its like Holloway said ....they have had a hard game Saturday, put everything in to it.....get after them and you will win.

JT lost his man for the first and the tone was set......everything after that was down hill.

Eberechi Eze and Massimo Luongo controlled the midfield....the rest is history.

From what I saw of the game it looked like they were physically bigger and stronger than us as a team. That was a worry for me as Cardiff appear to be exactly the same and unless we buck our ideas up we will get out-fought in that game too. 

Hmm sorry im not accepting this we put everything into wolves hence the performance. There is no excuse to go three down at home to bloody QPR who not only struggle to win away but struggle scoring away goals.

Cardiff and wolves both had mid week games and completely won their games convincingly. They dug did and wanted it more. Our players put in quite frankly a pathetic display and just waved the white flag with no fight whatsoever.

If there was fatigue then again this comes down on bruce, just like when he played jedinak who made mistakes and bruce said wasnt fit. I like bruce but his decision making at times has cost us badly.

Also to the point we won't win every game. Fulham and cardiff seem to be they want it more than us. I cant accept we want it as much as them when put in pathetic performances like that.

I dont fancy us at all in play offs in we are capable of imploding like this. Witb boro and fulham likely opponents its going to be so difficult. I think even fulham will finish above us now.

The hardest part you finally start believing after wolves then the next game they let you down like the last few years.

• Like 2

Having watched our first half against Fulham away, and knowing that we didn't have Albert or Jack in the team, I think I would now rather take our chances against them in the play-offs than Cardiff. I think Cardiff will out-muscle us like QPR did last night. I think we can beat footballing sides but not the battlers. Fulham are more the former. 

9 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Having watched our first half against Fulham away, and knowing that we didn't have Albert or Jack in the team, I think I would now rather take our chances against them in the play-offs than Cardiff. I think Cardiff will out-muscle us like QPR did last night. I think we can beat footballing sides but not the battlers. Fulham are more the former. 

I dont even think we will get that far. I think we will end up playing boro and we will lose to them over two legs.

My hope is we get derby in play offs and then i think over one game we could beat boro or fulham in final. 

Edited by Demitri_C

Having slept on it, I guess that automatic promotion while unlikely, still can happen. We’d have to win nearly all our remaining games, and hope Cardiff struggle against Wolves, Sheff Utd, Derby and obviously us. Or alternatively they have a couple of nightmare QPR game like us.

Not impossible, but we’re relying on Cardiff slipping up in more games than is perhaps likely.