17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Derby have Millwall next, we have Sheffield United and Cardiff have Leeds.

If (huge if) we can beat Sheff U, then Cardiff and Derby could easily slip up in their fixtures, Surely we won't win 5 on the bounce though.

Will we?

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If (huge if) we can beat Sheff U, then Cardiff and Derby could easily slip up in their fixtures, Surely we won't win 5 on the bounce though.

Will we?

Anything is possible and our form is sky high. The players seem very confident. I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.

34 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Will we?

Lets say all result go our way 2-0 - we'd be second!

We should be able to get second now that we seem to have found a method of playing. We just need to cut out this `get a goal or two, then sit back and invite the opposition onto us' crap.

With possibly one exception, we can beat any team in this tinpot division.

If we play with confidence.

• Like 1

For all the problems we've had with injuries this season, in particular Kodija. I do think we've had an element of good fortune with certain players that maybe we didn't expect to do so well stepping up while other players that we did expect to do better starting to excel at the same time. 

Key examples. Superb form by Davis to change our season around after such a poor start. Samba and then Elphick stepping in for Terry. Adomah scoring so many goals in his new role. Grealish returning from injury at a key time and really excelling. Hogan going from looking one of our worst signings ever to now banging in goals just when it looked like we had a striker crisis.

The football gods are on our side. I think we'll get promoted.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hogan going from looking one of our worst signings ever

I never thought he was a poor signing,itwasjust we couldn't play in a way that suited his style.  Through all of that he never stopped making intellegent runs,

we just didn't play him in. I'm really pleased for him now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

I never thought he was a poor signing,itwasjust we couldn't play in a way that suited his style.  Through all of that he never stopped making intellegent runs,

we just didn't play him in. I'm really pleased for him now

I completely disagree. There were a number of games where his movement off the ball was very poor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For all the problems we've had with injuries this season, in particular Kodija. I do think we've had an element of good fortune with certain players that maybe we didn't expect to do so well stepping up while other players that we did expect to do better starting to excel at the same time. 

Key examples. Superb form by Davis to change our season around after such a poor start. Samba and then Elphick stepping in for Terry. Adomah scoring so many goals in his new role. Grealish returning from injury at a key time and really excelling. Hogan going from looking one of our worst signings ever to now banging in goals just when it looked like we had a striker crisis.

nintchdbpict000327373302_e1495923278521.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

I must have missed those games then mate,for me he was always a trier

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree he was always trying. I don't think he was being lazy, just that his movement wasn't very good for a while. 

He's got a lot better in recent games, it isn't just about our tactics. I think he's a real confidence striker. 

It's funny. To be clear I don't actually think this will happen BUT.

Let's say we win next week and Wolves lose again. 

Assuming we beat them at home there is only 6 other points to make up with plenty more to play for. 

It seems like they are miles ahead but it's still not beyond the realm of possibility. 

Some of our ludicrous dropped points at the start of the season and over Christmas really put this into perspective. 

With the Sheff Utd game moved to Tuesday there's obviously only 4 days before the Burton game. Then a week until the derby against Small Heath.

The Fulham game starts a run of 3 games in 8 days. Fulham [a] - Preston - Sheff Weds [a]. Then 7 days later another 3 games in 8 days - QPR - Sunderland [a] - Wolves. Then a week until we go to Bolton [a].

After that it's Easter and 5 games in 16 days - Hull [a] on Good Friday - Reading at home on Easter Monday. Norwich [a] the following Saturday sparks another 3 in 8 days with Cardiff midweek visitors and Leeds at the end of that run. Before the last 3 games of the season currently planned on the last 3 weekends - Ipswich [a] - Derby - Millwall [a].

It will be interesting.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wonder if that is luck, or alternatively a well-structured squad designed to be resilient to the gruelling slog that the Championship represents.

I think the last few weeks show you how a putting winning run together of 4 or 5 games can change everything. Even if we lose the odd game we need to make sure we follow up with a run of wins to get back in the frame. I still have us finishing on around 86 points which I think will be enough for 2nd. I hope anyway.