17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

5 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Probably futile/meaningless musings alert.

Looking at Cardiff’s remaining games, they picked up 32 points from the corresponding fixtures earlier in the season. This included wins against Wolves, Sheff Utd and of course us.

In comparison we picked up 21 points against the remaining teams we have left to play. This included dropping points to Sheff Wed, Hull and Reading.

As I say, probably meaningless as we’re a different team than we were when we were losing to the likes of Reading. On a positive note, I guess we have more scope for improvement on a points return.

But of course they are all flipped Home > Away.  We had tough away games, which we're now at home for.  They've still got some hard away games, including us which is probably the key game.

• Like 1

Just done the evening mail predictor for the rest of the season and had villa in 2nd on 87 points , derby 84, Fulham 82, Cardiff 78 and boro 76 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-promotion-predictor-championship-14287665#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Edited by Eastie

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Like Bruce said a little while ago,  we must get out of the habit where every time we lose a match, it's a crisis.

WE must stop thinking about matches as "season-defining". We had a terrible run in December and that didn't "define" our season, so why should one match tomorrow?

In fairness I think @DCJonah is really saying another slump would kill us, rather than a single poor result from tomorrow night’s match.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying the Preston game will define the season, a point would be alright if we then followed it up with a few wins going into the Wolves match.

How we subsequently handle a defeat after such a good run could “define” the season, but I don’t think the Preston game will be the sole factor in that.

I do think it’s fair to say another 3 or 4 game winless run would probably end our automatic promotion chances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Like Bruce said a little while ago,  we must get out of the habit where every time we lose a match, it's a crisis.

WE must stop thinking about matches as "season-defining". We had a terrible run in December and that didn't "define" our season, so why should one match tomorrow?

Because we're running out of games. 

Edit: For what it's worth I don't think a draw tomorrow will be the end of the world. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

It's still incredibly open. Fans of Derby, Cardiff, Bristol and Fulham wouldn't look foolish thinking 2nd place is theirs for the taking. Will be very tough up until the last day unless the Gods of Football throw banana skids all over the place giving us a clear passage. We need to brave it til the end, game by game. They say this league is like a marathon and for the first time, hopes being high, I am truly starting to see that.

If we can suffer less injuries to key players (seriously...) I am confident we can edge it against those other teams. Preston will be incredibly tough, but equally they will see us as a massive threat. We're a good team on our day, so we should focus on consistently having good days like our recent run. Consistency will be key.

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Because it's a season-defining match!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not sure i'm saying its a crisis. Just that we have seen this team can go on mini slumps. Another one at this point, would probably take automatic promotion off the table. Not saying we will lose tomorrow or that we will go on a mini slump, just that it could happen. I'm hopeful we bounce back tomorrow night and continue the fight. I do think its an important game. 

• Like 1

It is indeed important and if I may be so bold we shoukd all try to keep in mind, as it gets nervier and nervier, that the reason it’s so nerve racking is that we are actually engaged in meaningful matches - it’s a treat !

Other than miserable relegation battles and the one season we had a stab at pipping Arsenal for 4th when was the last time we had a decent prize waiting...( worth quidzillions too !)....I keep trying to remind myself this is the good bit !

And make the most of it, with the best will in the world it’s not likely to be repeated if we go up !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We won’t meet a team as good as Fulham again this season - that said every game will have its different challenge - no pushovers in this league .

Wolves at home wont be easy, i cant see us winning that one. 

I do think though we should not fear fulham if we end up playing them in play off. we lost without two of our best players and one of them was a blunder by johnstone. i think if we get to play offs as long as second leg is at villa park i think we have no one to fear 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

We won’t meet a team as good as Fulham again this season - that said every game will have its different challenge - no pushovers in this league .

Having watched both sides, in my opinion, Wolves are a much better side, and we still have to meet them.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually think fulham have two brilliant players in sessagnon and cairney. if you take them out i think they are average 

Not sure that's allowed :D

And anyway our snipers has been misfiring this season.

32 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Having watched both sides, in my opinion, Wolves are a much better side, and we still have to meet them.

They are nowhere near as good away from home in terms of their general play. Definitely beatable. I also don't think Fulham were that great. We were just really poor and missing 2 massive players for us. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I actually think fulham have two brilliant players in sessagnon and cairney. if you take them out i think they are average 

Could say the same about Villa with Adomah and Grealish out.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, omariqy said:

They are nowhere near as good away from home in terms of their general play. Definitely beatable. I also don't think Fulham were that great. We were just really poor and missing 2 massive players for us. 

I agree with both points. And Fulham were very lucky to meet us on a bad day.

Tonight's match is important, in that it will indicate how we come back from Saturday's defeat. Not necessarily season-defining, but a mini losing run at this stage could end our chances of automatic promotion and push us into the play offs.

• Like 1