17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

All depends if we can find some consistancy. 

Until today we've played very poor for a while, QPR game aside.

Even at 3-0 against Sunderland we hadn't got out of second gear, they were abysmal, but 2 own goals cost us a game we should have coasted through.

Have played well but not outstanding against Leeds, they have cost themselves with bad defending.

Can you at least not bottle the Birmingham game this year?

I remember you barely lifting a leg on the last day of the season even though Tammy Abraham was still on the pitch. You also lost there earlier this season when they couldn't win a game at the start.

Bristol City have lost 7 of their last 9 league games against SHA. How is that even possible?! Surprised we haven't banned you James. :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KSV said:

I am shocked that Cardiff havent gone away. They have some good players but geez.. top 3? almost 3/4 of a season is ridiculous. Still plenty of games to go.. but surely there due a slip? we have had one or two already. 

They lost 4 over xmas. Trouble was we were 10 points off them at that stage so problem is catching them up and then they start winning again so one slip and they're infront of us again.

It will be close but they have a very tough bunch of games from mid March-April when I expect them to draw and lose a few.

7 hours ago, KSV said:

I am shocked that Cardiff havent gone away. They have some good players but geez.. top 3? almost 3/4 of a season is ridiculous. Still plenty of games to go.. but surely there due a slip? we have had one or two already. 

No being funny....but I'm not......big powerful, full of energy team.

any team that can beat Wolves at Home have something going on.

Robust and Durable outfit....with a nag bag of a manager always on their case, driving them.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've always maintained (I think) that Cardiff are a danger to our 2nd place hopes. They just know how to win games.

So do we and derby . I think Fulham have a horrendous run of games if they are like within touching distance of 2nd by then they I think they could be a massive threat to 2nd 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Didn’t realise Preston have lost 1 in their last 16 league games - will be tough test .

I have no worries, when we play to our potential.....its when we don't that worries me.

I still think Saturdays Game was below par for us.....We can beat any team in this division, if we apply ourselves.

Its Aston Villa that worry me at times......not the opposition.

If we turn up.......I am confident.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Didn’t realise Preston have lost 1 in their last 16 league games - will be tough test .

We were lucky to meet them when we did in November. They had an injury crisis at that point and its been their only poor run. They have one of the best midfields in the division for me. Although it was defenders they were missing last time out so maybe we still did well to get the result in the way we did.

While we are capable of a good run of form under bruce, we are also capable of a run of terrible form. 

I think tomorrow night could really define the season now. Don't win and i predict another slump that will kill automatic promotion chances. 

6 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We won 7 on the bounce but still lost Saturday and by all accounts, never really got started.

Stats win nothing.....Its application that does( presuming ability is there in the first place)

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no worries, when we play to our potential.....its when we don't that worries me.

I still think Saturdays Game was below par for us.....We can beat any team in this division, if we apply ourselves.

Its Aston Villa that worry me at times......not the opposition.

If we turn up.......I am confident.

Shows you how good we can be that even considering how poor we were Fulham really didn't do much and in fact you could argue we had the better of the game until they scored. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've always maintained (I think) that Cardiff are a danger to our 2nd place hopes. They just know how to win games.

Incredible to me how everyone thought we were going to win the League before last game. lol

"Cardiff will fall away" "Derby will fall away" etc.

People need to stop all that nonsense.

The problem is we go on brilliant winning runs, and shite losing runs.

It's a bit annoying that we need to go on Championship winning form runs to stay up there.

The other teams in around us have in general been more "consistent", they have not gone on runs as impressive as us, but the majority haven't had runs as dire as ours either.

Folks need to stop conning themselves into thinking these teams are lucking themselves into positions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Shows you how good we can be that even considering how poor we were Fulham really didn't do much and in fact you could argue we had the better of the game until they scored. 

I think we have a better squad than Fulham.....hence the disappointment.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Incredible to me how everyone thought we were going to win the League before last game. lol

"Cardiff will fall away" "Derby will fall away" etc.

People need to stop all that nonsense.

The problem is we go on brilliant winning runs, and shite losing runs.

It's a bit annoying that we need to go on Championship winning form runs to stay up there.

The other teams in around us have in general been more "consistent", they have not gone on runs as impressive as us, but the majority haven't had runs as dire as ours either.

Folks need to stop conning themselves into thinking these teams are lucking themselves into positions.

Excellent point FWIW......I think you are bang on.

some say, you are only as good as your worst performance.......as a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

• Like 1

Late December we were well off the pace , but our good run coincided with others recent slips has put us up there - Fulham and derby and have made up considerable ground in the last 10 games which has seen -

Cardiff 4 wins in last 10 league games.

sheff utd 3 wins in last 10 league games .

bristol city 2 wins in last 10 league games . 

‘Yes cardiff have picked up form but we’ve closed a big gap on them in those last 10 games .

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

While we are capable of a good run of form under bruce, we are also capable of a run of terrible form. 

I think tomorrow night could really define the season now. Don't win and i predict another slump that will kill automatic promotion chances. 

I hear your fear and you could be right, but I'm not sure a draw say, would produce the absolute irreconcilable death of our automatic promotion chances in the way you predict. I think retaining an open mind is probably still the sensible option for the time being.

• Like 1

Probably futile/meaningless musings alert.

Looking at Cardiff’s remaining games, they picked up 32 points from the corresponding fixtures earlier in the season. This included wins against Wolves, Sheff Utd and of course us.

In comparison we picked up 21 points against the remaining teams we have left to play. This included dropping points to Sheff Wed, Hull and Reading.

As I say, probably meaningless as we’re a different team than we were when we were losing to the likes of Reading. On a positive note, I guess we have more scope for improvement on a points return.