17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Oh, and, er....

Don’t rate that Jokanovic - fancy letting in a goal like that as late as that just when they needed the Win....shocking.

stop it.................................I like it:D

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Derby certainly have more to play for now they lost against Burton, makes their game against Cardiff a must win really to ge them a playoffs place. We need to win three more games and hope for hte best, if we do win them all we'll be there or there abouts and take great momentum into the playoffs. Trouble is we played horribly second half against Leeds, so again we can't be certain which Villa is going to be turning up.

That's really the story of our season. The shit start, the very forseeable dip in form after our results were not in keeping with the turd performances, then we did actually sort it out, play good football (largely - at least not look like total strangers all the time) and win 7 on the spin, then the inexplicable crash after beating the top of the table team... Without either 1. the shit start, 2. the crash in form before xmas or 3. the crash in form after doing Wolves handsomely we'd be sitting in second.

If we could be sure the Villa from the first half against Leeds or even better the Wolves game would be playing the next 3 then I'd be more confident. Thing is we can't. Still, it's still all to play for and it's pretty exciting even though we're most likely out of the running...

That Derby game has got drama written all over it!

49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is an oversimplification of the highest order, and i'm sure you know it.

I'm sure there is ZERO need for me to get into budgets vs. position, expectation and so on.

Sure it's an oversimplification, but so is Brentford = sexy football, Villa = ugly, and I've read plenty of that over the last few pages. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Congratulations to the dingles on their promotion. Brentford toying with us :Pslim hopes but slim is better than nothing. Although mentally I am prepared for the playoff lottery. 

Its not a lottery.............you play the best and get more goals, you win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its not a lottery.............you play the best and get more goals, you win.

It is quite a lottery what Villa side show up. The one that got dominated by QPR and Bolton or the one that won convincingly against Wolves or Bristol. 

Pure fluke which one we get. 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TRO said:

I can see both points of view.

for me I just accept that a manager has the task of getting his team promoted or win the Prem.......How he does it, is up to him.

I think in one of your earlier posts you pointed out that success has come our way in the past and not playing TOO dissimilar to what we are now....except better individual quality.

I don't think we have ever been an eye catching team.....nearly always relied on special individuals for our edge and entertainment.

Oh come on TRO, you’ve surely not forgotten us under Sir Ron? A true team effort from all over the pitch.

Forgive me TRO, I know you haven’t forgotten and I also know we didn’t play like Barcelona, but boy was it exciting and every now and then I need to reminisce and be romantically nourished :D

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

It is quite a lottery what Villa side show up. The one that lost to QPR and Bolton or the one that won against Wolves.

thats football.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Oh come on TRO, you’ve surely not forgotten us under Sir Ron? A true team effort from all over the pitch.

Forgive me TRO, I know you haven’t forgotten and I also know we didn’t play like Barcelona, but boy was it exciting and every now and then I need to reminisce and be romantically nourished :D

Come on Dave

Of course it was exciting it's my point.

but,Don't tell me The Wolves and Bristol Games were not exciting......The Cardiff gave was not one for the purists, but that strike was fit for a king ( or a prince) and the anxiety added to the thrill of a win against tough opposition.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Come on Dave

Of course it was exciting it's my point.

but,Don't tell me The Wolves and Bristol Games were not exciting......The Cardiff gave was not one for the purists, but that strike was fit for a king ( or a prince) and the anxiety added to the thrill of a win against tough opposition.

I wasn’t thinking of this season, my point was purely a ramble down memory lane to very happy times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you are being a bit harsh there mate. We still had some very good chances in the second half, the Adomah one from the clever Grealish pass, the one where Hogan was through and the double save from Grabban and Kodjia I think it was. I think you also have to take into account that was both teams 5th game in 13 days and we put a lot into the game three days earlier which I think caught up with us in the second half especially.

I agree to a certain extent that we don't know which side is going to turn up but I think since Christmas we have turned up pretty much in every game when playing teams around us and when playing the games with the most hype. Boro, Bristol City, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Cardiff were all either ahead of us or around us when we played them and we beat them all. Sha, Wolves and Cardiff were big games played in big atmospheres and we won them all. The only game against a team competing at the top end of the league we haven't won since Christmas was Fulham. It has in the main been against the sides you'd expect us to beat where we have not turned up, QPR, Bolton, Hull, Norwich immediately spring to mind.

I just don't see us not being up for or not turning up for the play off games and when we do turn up, as we have shown since Christmas, we usually win.

Maybe, we did wake up towards the end of the second half at Leeds, and yes the second half of the season when we've needed to against the teams around us we've done the business. That great run this year was what swung me from being firmly Bruce out to accepting he had sorted out the major issues most of us that were criticising him were pointing out. Which would be great if it wasn't for the completely baffling defeats and no-shows we've also managed in the second half of the season. Had we won 2 from QPR, Bolton, Hull or Norwich we'd be right in the hunt for second. My original post wasn't just about that though, as we had an awful start to the season too, 6 more points there and you could say the same. Or even lets say one more win in the slow start, one win in the falling to pieces around christmas and then one win from thos four games you mention and we'd be on 88 points right now.

It's fair to say we've improved massively second half of the season, but we haven't been consistently consistent, we've had a great run, then patchy from with up and down performances. There's room for hope int he play offs, but we are hardly nailed on regardless of the draw.

I don’t buy into the angle that Brentford play lovely football.

The 0-0 at VP was one of the worst games I’ve ever been to. They didn’t play particularly well to beat us on Boxing Day either. I think people have got confused between us not having beaten them in 4 attempts and them being Brazil.

20 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Maybe, we did wake up towards the end of the second half at Leeds, and yes the second half of the season when we've needed to against the teams around us we've done the business. That great run this year was what swung me from being firmly Bruce out to accepting he had sorted out the major issues most of us that were criticising him were pointing out. Which would be great if it wasn't for the completely baffling defeats and no-shows we've also managed in the second half of the season. Had we won 2 from QPR, Bolton, Hull or Norwich we'd be right in the hunt for second. My original post wasn't just about that though, as we had an awful start to the season too, 6 more points there and you could say the same. Or even lets say one more win in the slow start, one win in the falling to pieces around christmas and then one win from thos four games you mention and we'd be on 88 points right now.

It's fair to say we've improved massively second half of the season, but we haven't been consistently consistent, we've had a great run, then patchy from with up and down performances. There's room for hope int he play offs, but we are hardly nailed on regardless of the draw.

Even a couple of ugly draws would have kept us in the fight.  Those 3 defeats really cost us. 

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

Congratulations to the dingles on their promotion. Brentford toying with us :Pslim hopes but slim is better than nothing. Although mentally I am prepared for the playoff lottery. 

I like that we can say well done to Wolves, and not care, it just demonstrates how our only rival is SHA, and that it is not about jealousy or anything but purely about geography. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I like that we can say well done to Wolves, and not care, it just demonstrates how our only rival is SHA, and that it is not about jealousy or anything but purely about geography. 

Couldn’t give 2 shits about the wolves. 

Fair play, good to have a midlands club back up there.

Well played wolves. Best team all year. Just don't know whether we have enough to join them. Fulham looking likely to be third now. Cardiff well in the box seat. I don't know if we have the manager to beat Fulham in the play offs. If we are going to let them play.. they will smoke us. We need to do what Brentford did and take it to them. Their defense is their weakness. You can't beat Fulham sitting back.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see both Fulham and Cardiff getting 7 points from there remaining games. So we could end up in a playoff final against Fulham. 

I do think Fulham are a better team than us but anything can happen in a one off game. 

Booked flights tonight for Shannon to Stansted, we are going up !!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrytini said:

Oh, and, er....

Don’t rate that Jokanovic - fancy letting in a goal like that as late as that just when they needed the Win....shocking.

You can’t please them all  ;)

Edited by Eastie

10 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Hopefully they batter small heaths goal difference to a pulp today :D