New Manager : 2017

darrenm

A change is definitely needed imo, things have only gotten worse since the start of his reign. I feel previous managers would've done a better job than him so far with the different owner, less restrictions (Lerner & co) and off the field improvements.

Maybe a short term appointment until the end of the season, at least, and then take stock after then or attempt to attract a big name. 

There hasn't been a single sign of improvement or encouragement in our "football" during Bruce's time and it's just getting worse. He and his staff have just come across as inept and clueless, maybe the club is too big for them. It just seems as though they have no philosophy or ideas and we are just lost as a club and lacking any form of (respectable) identity.

Someone with a plan and preferred style of play (that he would tend to stick to rather than continually messing about) would be much more preferable and more worthy of being given time. 

Being realistic, for now maybe it would be worth giving a shot to someone like Smith, Rowett or Warburton...

Discarding Bruce wouldn't be so costly as he was appointed on a rolling contract and it seems as though a few out of contract managers or those managing smaller clubs could do a better job, especially with the collection of players we now have available. Some of these guys have worked wonders with a lot less and would relish such an opportunity...

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Having blind faith and sticking with Bruce guarantees you nothing either.

There is nothing blind about supporting a manager that has had four promotions.

EVERY manager needs time with a new squad to get a team spirit and plan going. We have bought a whole new midfield, a new defence, a new striker. As of last month most of this side has never played together before.

It takes time no matter who the manager is. We should use the rest of the season to bed the side in and take stock over the summer.

• Like 2

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I don't want a new manager in 2017.

Likewise, and as someone that's been present at every game this season, seen us bring in a good manager (imo), the best players in the league (with some balance too now) I think we need to click/gel very quickly, I'm on the optimistic end as a Villa fan but we are sleepwalking our way into doing exactly the same as Wolves did in 12/13.....before anyone asks I really don't know what the answer is!

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

There is nothing blind about supporting a manager that has had four promotions.

EVERY manager needs time with a new squad to get a team spirit and plan going. We have bought a whole new midfield, a new defence, a new striker. As of last month most of this side has never played together before.

It takes time no matter who the manager is. We should use the rest of the season to bed the side in and take stock over the summer.

In a sense id agree but performance's have to improve between now and the end of the season for him to earn the right to be manager next season. Can't keep harping back to how he did with hull, we are bigger than hull, maybe he isn't able for it. The football has been turgid and tactics bizarre.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

In a sense id agree but performance's have to improve between now and the end of the season for him to earn the right to be manager next season. Can't keep harping back to how he did with hull, we are bigger than hull, maybe he isn't able for it. The football has been turgid and tactics bizarre.

I agree. This is what I mean by taking stock at the end of the season. If he gels the side and we have a strong finish he will start next season as manager and we will hit the ground running for a promotion push.

If he limps over the line and we look like there is no plan on the pitch or off then the summer will be a time to try our luck with a new manager and give the new guy a preseason.

1 hour ago, jimbojustice said:

Literally if we sacked Bruce we start the same cycle that keeps putting us in this place. He needs way more time, we can't keep sacking managers, we need to give them real time to reshape the squad.

Can we just sack this one though and then do the give em loads of time thing?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Jut keep sacking the manager every three-six months. That's a sure fire strategy that has worked well in the past...

I do kinda agree with this principle- the difficulty for me however is that I never had faith in Bruce from day 1 so if he were to go I would not lose sleep over this, equally I recognise that if you continually change managers you lose credibility and the job gets viewed as a poison chalice 

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

That's not a terrible shout. Were they at Man U at the same time?

They were at hull together last season as well .

Bruce admitted he hadn't worked with calderwood before and things have deteriorated since he started taking training .

phelan was his number 2 and they won promotion so maybe it's worth thinking about as somethings clearly not working 

Edited by Eastie

Let's be honest, Bruce is here until the end of the season.

Please, Please, Please, after the final game go and get the person who we should have got the last time. Dean Smith. Brentford beat us to death by playing great attacking football, and with only three players over 24. Get him in as soon as possible and let's get some imagination and attacking style back in the team.