New Manager : 2017

darrenm

I really don't want to part company with another manager but Bruce gives me so little cause for optimism. On paper he is the right man for the job but all the empirical evidence so far suggests a man bereft of ideas and tactics.

He exhibits the classic attributes of a failing manager. Retreating into negative tactics to avoid losing. We have been there before too many times.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I would throw a punt on Dean Smith, plays decent football and his Brentford team is overperforming at this moment

cant be worse than clown we have now

Could he handle a job as big as villa though ? It's a gamble for me as many managers and indeed players lol good at smaller clubs but come to villa and can't handle the expectation levels and size of the club .

wagner and hughton  would both be decent shouts but doubt either would come here .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimbojustice said:

Literally if we sacked Bruce we start the same cycle that keeps putting us in this place. He needs way more time, we can't keep sacking managers, we need to give them real time to reshape the squad.

A million times this. It hasn't worked the past 6 times, why would it work now. He needs time. He took over a totally bollocksed team. Give him a year at LEAST. He has been promoted 4 times. He knows what he is doing.

Support the team and the manager rather than this cyclical sack and hire nonsense. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

Frankly we already have one - Steve Bruce. He hasn't even had half a season. He is new.

New and already plenty of time to fail.... which he has done.   We gave him a window.  He bought some quality (and Johnstone) and the results remain dire.  He is not the man to take us to the future.  Better to let him go quickly.

56 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Jokanović

If we sack Bruce then we need to liven it up with someone who can give us some swash buckling, gung ho and attractive football. 

Isn't that what RDM gave us? Loads of forwards and battering teams only to concede stupid goals.  Huddersfield and Forest at VP spring to mind.

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I would throw a punt on Dean Smith, plays decent football and his Brentford team is overperforming at this moment

cant be worse than clown we have now

Understands the importance of a successful Aston Villa  . A manager we could actually call one of our own. 

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

New and already plenty of time to fail.... which he has done.   We gave him a window.  He bought some quality (and Johnstone) and the results remain dire.  He is not the man to take us to the future.  Better to let him go quickly.

And 3 games after it is obviously enough to get a settled team?

Have you seen the team formations and selections he had made in those three matches?

the players he brought are much better than what he inherited (credit).  But he is not using them well or effectively.   Or do three loses not count?  (On top of no wins this year?)

Dont pretend these three loses to horrible teams don't matter   

5 minutes ago, picicata said:

it really doesn't matter who the next guy would be, by the end of april people would be asking for him to be replaced.

I don't believe they would if progress was obvious. 

I don't even think fans would want Bruce out if his turgid tactics and formations were successful, after all a win is a win. 

However, we're playing an appalling brand of football and losing to teams we really should be beating. 

Somehow, Bruce has managed to bring in some genuinely attacking players only to deploy negative 532 tactics, stifling their attacking capacity. 

This is where I believe the fans discontent stems from.

Edited by theboyangel

If we are going for someone totally from left field (we won't) then Graham Potter would be a very exiting option.

He's currently manager at Östersunds FK in the Swedish top tier Allsvenskan and has since he was appointed before the 2011 taken the team that had just been relegated to the 4th tier of Swedish football to finishing 8th in their first season in the top flight. Would not be surprised if they finish top 5 this season.

They play by far the most attractive football in Sweden (sorry all Malmö FF fans) and Potter and his team are very progressive when it comes to training, analyzing data and are amazing at finding hungry players and developing them. And even thou their best players have been poached every season they have gotten better as a team.

I have no doubt Potter will go on to bigger and better things if not this summer then the year after.

Potter is actually from Solihull and was once a trainee at Birmingham City so he ticks that box. We do so love to get managers with  a history at City...

Played in the English U21 but never had a great playing career.

I've read loads of interviews with him but they are all in Swedish but I managed to find this one in English

Due to his lack of experience it would be a gamble, but I think he will go on to be a rather successful manager. I can promise there isn't a team in Sweden who would not want him as manager. And he will get poached by one of the biggest teams in Scandinavia very soon. 

He is exactly the type of manager I wan't us to sign.

20 hours ago, Harry said:

I really don't want to part company with another manager but Bruce gives me so little cause for optimism. On paper he is the right man for the job but all the empirical evidence so far suggests a man bereft of ideas and tactics.

He exhibits the classic attributes of a failing manager. Retreating into negative tactics to avoid losing. We have been there before too many times.

Sadly I see it this way too.

IF we were to get rid of Bruce for me we need a manager with a track record of good coaching and organisation of a team.

See Hull with Silva or Clement at Swansea, Dyche at Burnley as examples of vast improvement in short amount of time due to coaching and work on the training ground. Managers that actually coach players and tactics rather than hoping it all comes together as seems to be case with our past few appointments.

Huddersfield in this league maybe as one example too.

One can argue Bruce is that guy but it is fast looking that isn't the case, let's hope he proves us all wrong.

Last real manager we had of that ilk was probably Martin O'Neil? Even if he had some flaws himself it was evident that team was "coached".

• Like 1

Bruce is a dinosaur with out of date ideas tactically and looks like someone who doesn't really have the capacity to motivate his players. We need someone progressive, who understands that with our players at this level we should be attacking, pressing high and keeping the ball better.

• Like 2