Expectation

Jareth

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think if that's the case then we should seriously consider Bruce's position in the summer. Bruce would have had ample time and resources (in Jan) to make a substantial impact, mid table is not anywhere near good enough, if we dont make the playoffs then we should at least put up a challenge for it. 

Next season I expect top 6 minimum - this is a very expensive squad - get then playing as a team with the right tactics and formation and we could gel - for me - 

I would go -

Johnstone

bree     Chester      Baker    Taylor 

Jedinak 

lansbury    Hourihane    Grealish 

Hogan kodija 

• Like 1

There was a real feel good factor last night with the transfer deals and we were all on a high until kick off - I don't think anyone expected such a horrific display as that and it's knocked the stuffing out of many of us

Each year we are down here, the harder and harder it will get due to the reasons stipulated earlier about three more Ex-Prem teams next season, and those who fail this season in the playoffs. If we don't expect promotion this, or next season one way or another, we might as well all pack up and be done with it. The owner we have, his ambitions and the money he has so far invested - EVERY TIME we should be expecting better. The owner has told us that.

If we don't finish strongly this season, there will be a decision to be made. New players may not be match fit - but crikey, they should show some fight, and yet again last night, there was none. Shape up, fit in, or xxxx off.

48 minutes ago, KHV said:

the rest are just bang average championship players we have paid fortunes for. 

I think we will be in deep shit come the 2019/20 season. I think we have taken a massive gamble by spending an awful lot on players that are pretty ordinary to be honest. 

I think things will get very interesting at Villa park moving forwards but not in a good way.

It's the market we are in today.

If we didn't spend I guarantee some fans would complain.

We are in the championship, think some fans need to wake up to this fact. We aren't attractive enough to attract Premier League players and the last batch we signed are hardly pulling up any trees this season. This is the market we are in.

Not sure what some fans expected us to do in the market.

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

It's the market we are in today.

If we didn't spend I guarantee some fans would complain.

We are in the championship, think some fans need to wake up to this fact. We aren't attractive enough to attract Premier League players and the last batch we signed are hardly pulling up any trees this season. This is the market we are in.

Not sure what some fans expected us to do in the market.

Yeah, he's in cuckoo land.

Had we been in this league position but we'd cleared out all of the high earning under-achievers  and replaced them with young promosing players - then I'd be happy. I'd be content that we were planning for next year and the experience would develop them. 

But we haven't. We've spent millions and made some short-term signings in an attempt to get promotion this year. This team isn't much better than the team we ended last season with. 

My expectations are based on what we've spent rather than who we are.

Can somebody more iinformed have a stab at our net spend under Tony? I know it's tens of millions but there was some value in those we have got rid of and I can see Amavi going for £10 mill to Marseille in the summer - that happens then Tony hasn't really overstretched so much other than wages, but then they are covered surely for about 3 years from the parachute payments no?

I think it's a two way thing.

We do expect a lot as supporters, we always want to win in style.  We love the heartbreak of a late equalizer, and the huge buzz of the even later winner (Everton) and the spanking of "lower teams". 

I think fans accept losses, but the least they want to see is an organized team with fight in them.  I don't think anyone ever really minded losing to Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal etc.. because deep down we know they have superior players and set ups.  They are bigger clubs.

It's when we turn up to places, week after week - despite huge personnel changes - and see the same frustrating things happen over and over again.  I think fans are entitled to be frustrated, more often than not they often go overboard in my opinion, and make things personal, but with the (urgh) "money the fans pay to watch", they shouldn't be presented with the same problems every Saturday at 5pm. 

This season has been a strange one.  I was quite up for giving RDM some time to fix things, turn some of those draws into wins.  I felt like we played decent football, keeping it on the floor etc.  But then, I agreed with his sacking because it got to the point where that wasn't happening. 

I agreed with Bruce being appointed, someone with great knowledge of this league.  I knew that the football wouldn't be pretty, but that was based on his Bham, Wigan & Hull jobs.  So he came in and won some games and we showed organization, fight and spirit and all was much better.  I'm unsure why but suddenly the results returned to poor and have been for quite a while now. 

We spent even more money in Jan, in sensible areas I must say at a fairly low net spend (urgh) and even though this was the 1st game against Brentford, I think everyone Is quite right to be frustrated by that performance. 

But now we have to do that boring thing and wait for a few weeks to see if this outlay has been worthwhile.  I hope it is, I believe we will turn the corner, but it seems there is a lot of hard work to be done on the training ground.. More so than I originally believed. 

Very frustrating to know that - barring a miracle- we'll also be playing Championship football next year too.

Back to the original point.. (sorry for straying), we the fans must support the team and they must give us something to support. 

If the team are not playing well, or Steve Bruce has set the team up noticeably poorly, then the fans must show sort of unhappiness (I'm not a big believer that booing helps).

Likewise I don't think that the supporters should turn if we concede a goal (this is inevitable in football), or if we have played well for a period and suddenly find ourselves under pressure (support helps more than audible nervousness) or if we draw, or drop points from a winning position. 

Help the team, don't hinder them.. whenever they're on the pitch.  

• Like 4

From this point on I don't expect promotion this season, but I expect a shape starting to take place, to be able to see a game plan. We should start building confidence so that we come out next season flying, no excuse not to go up next season.

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

From this point on I don't expect promotion this season, but I expect a shape starting to take place, to be able to see a game plan. We should start building confidence so that we come out next season flying, no excuse not to go up next season.

Yep, anymore 'Brentford's' will be completely unacceptable from this point on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Expectations are fine and I love the fact we are an expectant bunch as it separates us from a lot of clubs in that we do believe we can be successful despite not having reached any kind of heights for a number of years.

Cracking post - but this bit made me lol.

It's the exact same thing we mock fans of other clubs (Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds, etc) for yet is apparently a positive when it's to do with Villa?  Hmmmm...

We're quite a quick-to-react bunch these days (someone has said we're patient as fans, but I disagree).  Yesterday has actually been a fantastic example of that - so positive over the signings "best squad in the Championship", get thumped 3-0 and the players are shit, manager is shit etc. etc.

I was wary of Xia coming in and throwing money around for exactly this reason - the fanbase becomes massively expectant and we become another Chelsea/Man City-lite type of team.  If we don't succeed immediately, get the manager out and spend loads more dolla please.

That Richards or Bacuna were back up for Hutton

Hutton, Richards or Bacuna as back up for RDL

3-0 to Brentford on a TDD high

A manager with no Plan B, when Plan A is doomed

I guess I expect too much

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Next season there will be three Premier League sides coming down who will all have expectations of automatic promotion

Sunderland's expectation will be to not go down to Division 1 and nothing else  ... that team is abysmal

Hull probably the same

I'd be worried about Leicester rivalling us for promotion next season but I think they will be in a bit of turmoil as players jump ship  :)

I don't really expect anything - just hope for the best. 

I hate the sense of entitlement that you get from many football fans from all clubs. You don't 'deserve' anything as a fan, you just get what you're given and that's that. I remember seeing a Liverpool video imploring the American owners to do something (sack someone? sell up? I don't remember) and I felt like vomiting my stomach dry when they were patting themselves on the back as fans saying that 'we deserve better'. No. You don't. Piss off. 

• Like 2

Â