Expectation

Jareth

17 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The thing with twitter is it's easy for fans to abuse players and I'm not sure it's always villa fans abusing our players - easy for blues or other clubs fans to do so too .

i noticed some stick given to hourihane and when I dug deeper saw it was actually coming from Sheffield weds fans.

Yeah well all clubs have these fans.. but we seem to have quite a few.. and I guess it comes down to the frustration we have had to endure over the years. I just hope they realise we have a new squad.. not many left from what's happened. Time to support the team on and off the park as I do think it plays a part. Look at Westwood.. he copped it good..  shit player but we pummeled his confidence (me included!). He left saying he felt unappreciated. Alot of the players would be mates eith him and would be annoyed by our fans for the way he would have felt. I dunno.. I just think we have played a part in the negative atmosphere around the club. Hate to say it but I think it's true. We just need a few wins and maybe we can move on from it all.. here's hoping.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Too many players seem to think they've made it once they come here and earn shitloads of cash - would rather our wages be far more incentive based on results and position .

I definitely agree with this.  Unfortunately no top players are going to agree under these terms. I don't think Hourihane from example would have come if we offered something like this.

All comes to again greed and money in the game unfortunately 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think when you pay 75 million on players I do expect a little bit more than a battle for 16th spot in the 2nd tier vs QPR, Brentford and Wolves and certainly not being outplayed by teams with a tenth of the budget

but I suppose thats just me

The £75m assumes successful and proper spend - this is the problem we have when assessing everything against a monetary figure (although I see why that makes the fanbase more expectant, of course).

For example, does a Chinese team with £60m Oscar in there beat Brentford because they've spent £60m on one player?

• Like 1

The expectancy levels on "Turning point Tuesday" soon declined into "Wake up Wednesday" for me, I had to completely detach myself from Aston Villa for a day, just to stop my head from exploding in self entitled rage!

We have had this long running feud with West Brom over who are the pride of the Midlands and do you know what, after that Brentford performance it's certainly not us. Breaks my f*****g heart.

• Like 2

Asked where he sees Villa in five years' time, Xia said: 'The top club in Europe with the highest number of fans all over the world.' 

When another fan quizzed him on what would constitute success this term, Xia said: 'Promotion is the first and only priority'.

You can't really blame the fans for high expectations when the most optimistic rhetoric comes directly from the top down. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Asked where he sees Villa in five years' time, Xia said: 'The top club in Europe with the highest number of fans all over the world.' 

When another fan quizzed him on what would constitute success this term, Xia said: 'Promotion is the first and only priority'.

You can't really blame the fans for high expectations when the most optimistic rhetoric comes directly from the top down. 

Would you prefer he said mid table championship team? Or a team battling relegation?

I'm sorry but one person that cannot be blamed is Xia. He has backed two managers in two windows and delivered his promises. Nothing wrong with having aspirations and goals despite them being unrealistic 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you prefer he said mid table championship team? Or a team battling relegation?

I'm sorry but one person that cannot be Balmedie is Xia. He has backed two managers in two windows and delivered hospital promises. Nothing wrong with having aspirations and goals despite them being unrealistic 

Too Chinese to be a Scottish village or...?  Either way, I think it's harsh to single out Xia in this manner!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KSV said:

I think a big issue is the type of players that this club can bring in. Yes we have money.. but who are the types we bring in? Good players coming to us rather than other clubs because were offering 'premier league wages'. Well.. how about we dont... how about we offer Championship wages and let the ones who WANT to come here.. not the ones that dont give a shit if we lose.. because they got their money for the week. 

We are going back to Beye Nzogbia to the current McCormack Gabby etc. This has been a problem for a long time.. and again it doesnt appear we have fixed it. Hogan Hourihane and Lansbury.. apparently we offered the highest wages to bring them in. I cant comment on their attitude yet as they havent been here that long.. but i hope they give a shit more than the last lot have. First evidence of it was concerning......... although i might just put that to Bruce getting excited with his new toys and forgetting to come up with a proper game plan to fit them in.  

Hourihane on the right of midfield... Hanson hasnt played in 6 weeks..  Playing Kodjia up front on his own was a mistake as he cant hold the ball up. Gardner should have played as he has a combination with Lansbury from last season. I think Hanson should be dropped.. Lansbury i believe is out. 

I think you make a very significant point and one which has concerned me for some time.

The play that is see is reminiscent of what you suggest.....Its like when you play a lower league team when you are in the top flight and they " out work you"

That is what I am seeing at present.

I am sure SB knows this and he has to work it out of our players systems.

I hope I am not tempting fate....but if this present lot turn out to be Primma Donna's, I think we will go back to the format you touched on.

fingers crossed, its not the case.

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

The expectancy levels on "Turning point Tuesday" soon declined into "Wake up Wednesday" for me, I had to completely detach myself from Aston Villa for a day, just to stop my head from exploding in self entitled rage!

We have had this long running feud with West Brom over who are the pride of the Midlands and do you know what, after that Brentford performance it's certainly not us. Breaks my f*****g heart.

It breaks my heart too....but Pulis is gradually transforming what was a fickle, unstable, lilly livered Albion Team and instilled some robust disciplined play, they are durable now and dependable for results.....in some cases against the wishes of the purists who still think they can play like the  three degrees did.

Steve Bruce is well aware of all that.....He just has to set up our team and coach them in to doing similar.

• Like 1

I expect us to compete in every game for 90 min. I expect the manager to change things if it's not happening. I expect to lose games but I expect to win more. Bruce has come in at a time when I believe expectation is at its lowest and I've never heard him use it as an excuse. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

I expect us to compete in every game for 90 min. I expect the manager to change things if it's not happening. I expect to lose games but I expect to win more. Bruce has come in at a time when I believe expectation is at its lowest and I've never heard him use it as an excuse. 

so do I, but they haven't been to date.

When the whole group have delusions of grandeur, its very difficult to change that mentality over night.

He has changed so many players in order to eradicate it.......and in the past, we have taken players off only for the same mental attitude to come on manifested in a different player....so nothing changed.

i hope this new influx can eradicate it and get back to the days of desire and intensity, that Brentford eloquently displayed the other night.

We need that kind of approach allied to our Tech ability.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

That is true bruce hasn't hidden and hasn't come out with bullshit like Sherwood did.

every defeat he has come out and said the players were terrible, disgraceful etc. its worse bullshit for an experienced manager who should be fixing it

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

every defeat he has come out and said the players were terrible, disgraceful etc. its worse bullshit for an experienced manager who should be fixing it

What should he say then in your opinion? They were unlucky? Great?

Personally I like his style he tells it how it is

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What should he say then in your opinion? They were unlucky? Great?

Personally I like his style he tells it how it is

maybe he should stop blaming the players and roll his sleeves up and quit the excuses

we know how crap the players are and dont need the manager telling us that

7 hours ago, TRO said:

When the whole group have delusions of grandeur, its very difficult to change that mentality over night.

He has changed so many players in order to eradicate it.......and in the past, we have taken players off only for the same mental attitude to come on manifested in a different player....so nothing changed.

i hope this new influx can eradicate it and get back to the days of desire and intensity, that Brentford eloquently displayed the other night.

That's why I was so pissed off coming home Tuesday!! I expect a reaction Saturday 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TRO said:

Again do you know how many of last seasons squad started on Tuesday?

Two.

Hutton who's attitude has never been questionable and Amavi, who spent the vast majority of the season away from the squad. 

I know you sort of say that yourself, but it's worth reiterating and the performance was right up there with anything produced last season. 

• Like 1

Â