Expectation

Jareth

On 01/02/2017 at 22:14, TRO said:

I think it is a factor.

but performances like last night.....spooks the fans.

some fans think, money cures all ills, it doesn't.

in our case we've spent money.

A good manager would be enough

Shame we dont have one

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again do you know how many of last seasons squad started on Tuesday?

Two.

Hutton who's attitude has never been questionable and Amavi, who spent the vast majority of the season away from the squad. 

I know you sort of say that yourself, but it's worth reiterating and the performance was right up there with anything produced last season. 

How many was there from last year was not my point and for me I think Hutton and Amavi are suspect.

I think I did say we change the bowler but not the bowling.....what I am saying is its endemic and will not be changed over night.

I think Steve is aware and trying to change it, by routing out the main culprits.....but its a major job.

Dave, I have the opinion for some time now, with many players that there is lacking in fight and desire to secure a win both physical and mental.

we are far too easily beaten and it's not all down to tactics. I have seen teams of the past show far more determination fight and desire and a "one for all, all for one "attitude......not to be confused with "trying"

just my opinion.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think I did say we change the bowler but not the bowling.....what I am saying is its endemic and will not be changed over night.

I think Steve is aware and trying to change it, by routing out the main culprits.

Dave, I have the opinion for some time now, with many players that there is lacking in fight and desire to secure a win both physical and mental.

we are too easily beaten and it's not all down to tactics.

just my opinion.

I kind of agree with you mate, although I don't think the tactics at Brentford were the best as Bruce put players out of position and in a system that none of them understood. That being said there is enough supposed quality in the squad, on paper one of the best in the league, that they should have put up more of a showing than that poor excuse of a game.

I do think that we have the right players in now and I know it's hard to take but I think we need to give the team time to gel and find the system that works best for them and start to build some team chemistry. When the team start to operate as a unit they will put in that extra effort to support each other on the field. It is now up to Bruce to get the team pulling in the same direction and improve on the attitude and effort that has been lacking for some time. When we find that system I am confident that the team will start to really kick on and put is in a good place to challenge for promotion next season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

in our case we've spent money.

A good manager would be enough

Shame we dont have one

I'm pretty sure we have one GH and time will tell.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

maybe he should stop blaming the players and roll his sleeves up and quit the excuses

we know how crap the players are and dont need the manager telling us that

Sorry this don't wash for me. You say the players are crap but they are not. It's different when players are not putting the effort in for me that's saying your poor. I have not seen him slate anyone individually barring that fat oaf McCormack  (who deserves it)

Storm in a teacup nothing in this at all

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Would you prefer he said mid table championship team? Or a team battling relegation?

I'm sorry but one person that cannot be blamed is Xia. He has backed two managers in two windows and delivered his promises. Nothing wrong with having aspirations and goals despite them being unrealistic 

Hi Demitri - I disagree to an extent about that. If Lerner were still here, my expectation/hope would be to stay in the Championship until we could 'go again.' The new owner came in, said this and that and promised the earth. Like a fool, I bought into it. Many other supporters/fans did too. Hell, I still believe it because I've seen him invest money in new players for both managers so far employed under his tenure.

Now imagine if the players believe it... the managers believe it. The culture at any business is set by the leader... the owner/director etc. They are the example by which the rest of the business follows. It's a simple premise but generally true in my experience. If the players and the managers are being told (or sold the dream) that in 5 years we're going to be a top club in Europe (and all the happiness that must follow for us as fans in achieving that) then maybe, just maybe that has become a pressure for them to perform and deliver. They are being told that they're going to be running long before they've even had chance to walk.

So for me, whilst I don't hold it against him, I think Xia is accountable for what he said. It's enhanced the expectations of the fan base, and that must have an impact on the players/staff at the club too.

For the record, I sometimes wish he had said different things about our aims and ambitions. Specifically, not put such a 'short term fix' timescale like 5 years on it (which is totally unbelievable in hindsight) and pin us down to promotion so quickly. I think that's put a weight on the shoulders (!!) of the players and the staff and put a big level of expectation (jam today and even more tomorrow) on us fans too.

Have a good weekend, here's to three points tomorrow :)

22 hours ago, TRO said:

How many was there from last year was not my point and for me I think Hutton and Amavi are suspect.

I think Steve is aware and trying to change it, by routing out the main culprits.....but its a major job.

we are far too easily beaten and it's not all down to tactics. I have seen teams of the past show far more determination fight and desire and a "one for all, all for one "attitude......not to be confused with "trying"

just my opinion.

Routing the culprits - but then brings back you know who !

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You are quite literally obsessed. I find it very amusing. 

I've really no idea what your on about here Doug- I was referring to Yu no- whoo our rebellious Chinese reserve team striker - who did you think I was thinking of :-)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

Routing the culprits - but then brings back you know who !

Decisions are not always as easy or clear cut as we would like them to be.....He wasn't the one who give Gabby a 4 year contract.

He got a reaction from Gabby, That satisfied him......Its his job to manage situations as he see's fit in the best interests of the club....that was his call.

I might not agree with it.....but I might base my opinion on criteria different from him.

He is the manager, I am Loathe to pick him up on every detail.....when he has so many fires to put out and holes to repair.

Dave I want to see my club back in the big time and I believe who ever comes to manage it will need time such is the magnitude of the task.

I am not going to pick a fight with every manager who comes in and find fault at every juncture.

He needs a unified front and support from the terraces. ( difficult ,I know in light of recent performances....but thats when he needs it most)

We as fans need to be defiant in the face of adversity and support the man who is batting on the same wicket as us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I wonder if the problem is that when you play for a small club you absolutely know that to get results you absolutely have to press and harry the opposition. . Get in their faces,  close them down,  tackle hard,  give no quarter,  followed your man,  work hard. 

When they get here the mindset changes,  they are no longer the small team,  it's up to the opposition to do that. 

I am so sick of seeing the opposition just strolling around with the ball,  spreading it around their team with non of our players even thinking about closing them down or getting in their faces. 

Not bothering to work hard to find space to receive the ball when we have a throw in yet allowing an opponent to run into space to receive a throw in. 

It's been happening for years regardless of which players we have and through umpteen managers and coaching staff. 

They definitely seem to think like they don't need to put in the hard work anymore. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if the problem is that when you play for a small club you absolutely know that to get results you absolutely have to press and harry the opposition. . Get in their faces,  close them down,  tackle hard,  give no quarter,  followed your man,  work hard. 

When they get here the mindset changes,  they are no longer the small team,  it's up to the opposition to do that. 

I am so sick of seeing the opposition just strolling around with the ball,  spreading it around their team with non of our players even thinking about closing them down or getting in their faces. 

Not bothering to work hard to find space to receive the ball when we have a throw in yet allowing an opponent to run into space to receive a throw in. 

It's been happening for years regardless of which players we have and through umpteen managers and coaching staff. 

They definitely seem to think like they don't need to put in the hard work anymore. 

I have been banging this drum for yonks way before Steve Bruce arrived.....I'm hoping he will fix it.

I think its our biggest single problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have been banging this drum for yonks way before Steve Bruce arrived.....I'm hoping he will fix it.

I think its our biggest single 

yep but we are not a big club anymore we are just a biggish club in a lower division

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Decisions are not always as easy or clear cut as we would like them to be.....He wasn't the one who give Gabby a 4 year contract.

He got a reaction from Gabby, That satisfied him......Its his job to manage situations as he see's fit in the best interests of the club....that was his call.

I might not agree with it.....but I might base my opinion on criteria different from him.

He is the manager, I am Loathe to pick him up on every detail.....when he has so many fires to put out and holes to repair.

Dave I want to see my club back in the big time and I believe who ever comes to manage it will need time such is the magnitude of the task.

I am not going to pick a fight with every manager who comes in and find fault at every juncture.

He needs a unified front and support from the terraces. ( difficult ,I know in light of recent performances....but thats when he needs it most)

We as fans need to be defiant in the face of adversity and support the man who is batting on the same wicket as us.

TRO- I was only kidding on this particular aspect. You always make lots of reasoned points and I respect pretty much most of what you say.

Dont agree with you on SB - but hey that's footie for you :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

yep but we are not a big club anymore we are just a biggish club in a lower division

But we are a big Club....very much so.....The fanbase, The infrastructure, The training ground, The stadium is all commensurate with a big club.

I think its part of the players mental problem.....He is trying to change that.

However, We are just not a big team.......YET

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â