Expectation

Jareth

I've forgot past glory. Hell I wasn't even alive for a lot of it. 

However, firmly in my mind is a club that's spent close to 80m on assembling a team to compete in the championship. On top of that we pay absolutely stupid money on wages. 

My expectations are absolute reality. We should be walking this league. Anything less is poor. What we are witnessing is absolutely shocking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Sunderland's expectation will be to not go down to Division 1 and nothing else  ... that team is abysmal

Hull probably the same

I'd be worried about Leicester rivalling us for promotion next season but I think they will be in a bit of turmoil as players jump ship  :)

Well we were the Sunderland of last season and I recall we had an expectation to go straight back up. 

23 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well we were the Sunderland of last season and I recall we had an expectation to go straight back up. 

Because we had a new owner , spent money on players and had  a manger that wasn't Remi Garde

Sunderland will be lucky to have one of those 3 :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Sunderland hardly have a pot to piss in .

Edited by Eastie

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Don't forget the parachute payments from the new TV deal. Every team that drops down under the new deal will be able to significantly outspend Championship sides. 

I think Elliott short would want out if they drop and they will be in chaos - hardly spent much last month even and told Moyes there was minimal cash .

Considering we have only spent 1 season in the last 40 odd years outside the top flight and that we finally got the takeover in the summer, I don't think it was unreasonable to expect  a solid challenge for a play off spot this season.  I think we have been amazingly patient and loyal bunch of supporters this decade. Image if this was happening at Spurs and what the reaction would be like. Exactly.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jareth said:

It's been said a few times by Bruce this season and also by past managers that the expectation at Villa is huge. The fans expect success and soon, the owner certainly expects success and soon. It is by no means a negative thing, I would say it is what makes us a big club, and is what helped push Lerner out and what helped to bring Tony in. I'm not a faithful away supporter, so they hardly need telling any of this, but for me, and I think quite a few others, yesterday's awful performance on the back of a wonderful Jan window just highlighted the gap between high expectations and reality, and it has led to a mass lowering of expectation and frankly, sadness. Overall as a fan-base and as a club I say that we need to lower expectations in the short-term - forget promotion, forget past glories and give the manager and new players room to breathe - what alternative is there?

I think it is a factor.

but performances like last night.....spooks the fans.

some fans think, money cures all ills, it doesn't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Sunderland hardly have a pot to piss in .

And we have spent a shit load of money and currently languishing 14th in the Championship.

I think when you pay 75 million on players I do expect a little bit more than a battle for 16th spot in the 2nd tier vs QPR, Brentford and Wolves and certainly not being outplayed by teams with a tenth of the budget

but I suppose thats just me

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think when you pay 75 million on players I do expect a little bit more than a battle for 16th spot in the 2nd tier vs QPR, Brentford and Wolves and certainly not being outplayed by teams with a tenth of the budget

but I suppose thats just me

Ahhh just got out of the depression and then read this. How did we lose to Cardiff Brentford etc I need a lie down

• Like 1

Yup. All football fans are deluded or blinded to their own club to a certain extent but there is a fact about us. We really have spent a LOT of money the past ten years and have not just got below average results , but in fact ended up far worse for it!

Its not paranoia or doomsaying to be more than a little twitchy about that fact. We really have had a rotten time and I think most of us just want that time to end and us starting being a normal club that gets results roughly in line with the investment put in.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

I think a big issue is the type of players that this club can bring in. Yes we have money.. but who are the types we bring in? Good players coming to us rather than other clubs because were offering 'premier league wages'. Well.. how about we dont... how about we offer Championship wages and let the ones who WANT to come here.. not the ones that dont give a shit if we lose.. because they got their money for the week. 

We are going back to Beye Nzogbia to the current McCormack Gabby etc. This has been a problem for a long time.. and again it doesnt appear we have fixed it. Hogan Hourihane and Lansbury.. apparently we offered the highest wages to bring them in. I cant comment on their attitude yet as they havent been here that long.. but i hope they give a shit more than the last lot have. First evidence of it was concerning......... although i might just put that to Bruce getting excited with his new toys and forgetting to come up with a proper game plan to fit them in.  

Hourihane on the right of midfield... Hanson hasnt played in 6 weeks..  Playing Kodjia up front on his own was a mistake as he cant hold the ball up. Gardner should have played as he has a combination with Lansbury from last season. I think Hanson should be dropped.. Lansbury i believe is out. 

Edited by KSV

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is the fans have been great this season, I won't tolerate "pressure of the shirt talk" is it too much to ask to put up a fight against bloody brentford??

I disagree. Mostly the fans have been good.. but we have alot of keyboard warrior fans.. it's ok on a forum.. but just look at our players Twitter's or Instagram. Someone like Gardner had to delete Twitter because of the abuse from his own fans and he's a local boy. No wonder Dr Xia has come out and told us to pull our heads in.. were all in it together. Why would you want to play well for villa fans if they are abusing you. Granted they have been dog shit but right now it's a new squad and we need to support them. Even Hourihane was getting a bit of stick. Been here less than a week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSV said:

I disagree. Mostly the fans have been good.. but we have alot of keyboard warrior fans.. it's ok on a forum.. but just look at our players Twitter's or Instagram. Someone like Gardner had to delete Twitter because of the abuse from his own fans and he's a local boy. No wonder Dr Xia has come out and told us to pull our heads in.. were all in it together. Why would you want to play well for villa fans if they are abusing you. Granted they have been dog shit but right now it's a new squad and we need to support them. Even Hourihane was getting a bit of stick. Been here less than a week!

With respect mate I couldn't care less about twitter trolls I'm referring to the fans going to games. They have been generally supportive and got behind the team this season

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is the fans have been great this season, I won't tolerate "pressure of the shirt talk" is it too much to ask to put up a fight against bloody brentford??

Too many players seem to think they've made it once they come here and earn shitloads of cash - would rather our wages be far more incentive based on results and position .

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

With respect mate I couldn't care less about twitter trolls I'm referring to the fans going to games. They have been generally supportive and got behind the team this season

Yeah Fair enough. But our fans are abusing our players. This is clearly a problem. For the good Dr to mention.. he's obviously heard this could be an issue. The relationship with players and fans is a huge problem at the moment. We have had players leave our club and not even thnk us. Ayew posted a greeting message to Swansea fans got told off by fans that he didn't even thank us and he edited it and added a line. Players we have signed all had nice messages to fans. This may not seem like a big deal but it is. Gardner quitting Twitter because of the abuse is really really sad. Yes they are on big money to play football but they are human too..Clearly he was affected and probably not the only one. 

5 minutes ago, KSV said:

Yeah Fair enough. But our fans are abusing our players. This is clearly a problem. For the good Dr to mention.. he's obviously heard this could be an issue. The relationship with players and fans is a huge problem at the moment. We have had players leave our club and not even thnk us. Ayew posted a greeting message to Swansea fans got told off by fans that he didn't even thank us and he edited it and added a line. Players we have signed all had nice messages to fans. This may not seem like a big deal but it is. Gardner quitting Twitter because of the abuse is really really sad. Yes they are on big money to play football but they are human too..Clearly he was affected and probably not the only one. 

The thing with twitter is it's easy for fans to abuse players and I'm not sure it's always villa fans abusing our players - easy for blues or other clubs fans to do so too .

i noticed some stick given to hourihane and when I dug deeper saw it was actually coming from Sheffield weds fans.

Edited by Eastie

Â