Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

He has a good attitude but that's not enough. We should look to recoup some fees for him in the summer and reinvest them elsewhere. We actually need significant reinforcements up front this summer regardless of what division we're in. 

• Like 1

Christ a hell of a lot of negativity on here. He was excellent against the Blues and had 5 in 5 prior to that. He's played four games since then, and the only game we lost in that run was against Fulham without the two most important players who lay chances for him - peaks and troughs. His role has changed with Grabban arriving.

Just do not get why there is a need to be so negative towards a player - especially when he works extremely hard. His fee isn't his fault. Hutton is no more than a trier and gets a free pass - I guess because his fee wasn't so distorted. Ultimately it doesn't matter and you should just support the player!

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Christ a hell of a lot of negativity on here. He was excellent against the Blues

He wasn't though was he?

He ran around a lot and put a load of effort in.

But he wasn't actually very good.

He is the Alan Hutton of strikers. Puts loads of effort in and has a good attitude which masks his lack of ability.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Risso said:

According to Whoscored, he touched the ball 14 times. He is hugely out of his depth at Villa, and we overpaid for him by a factor of 4 at least.

Isn't that a bit over average for him?

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He wasn't though was he?

He is the Alan Hutton of strikers. Puts loads of effort in and has a good attitude which masks his lack of ability.

I actually think he was very good against Blues and was unlucky not to score. However, he is not worth what we paid for him. I am happy he has at least contributed and scored some important goals. Goals that could make a difference for us getting promoted or not. Now it is Grabban's time as Hogan has not done the business in the last few games. I do think that now Jack and Adomah are back we will see a better Hogan but Grabban deserves his chance and has more to his game. I am sure Hogan will pop up again and score an important goal or two in the last 12 games. 

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He wasn't though was he?

He was actually. His pressing was very intelligent and well-timed, he made a lot of good runs, held the ball up well, and was unlucky not to score. Their centre-backs were so, so nervous because of him.

Football is not always down to what is done with the ball at your feet, even excluding effort. And he's not been great for us no, but he was very good during that spell and I'm sure if people weren't getting their knickers in a twist about his fee and crying about him after a few bad games, he'll bounceback.

I would rather a fit and raring to go Jack and Albert were feeding Grabban than Hogan, to be honest.  Assuming Jack's fit to start, and we play our usual 4-3-3, who are you going to leave out for Hogan?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He was actually. His pressing was very intelligent and well-timed, he made a lot of good runs, held the ball up well, and was unlucky not to score. Their centre-backs were so, so nervous because of him.

Football is not always down to what is done with the ball at your feet, even excluding effort. And he's not been great for us no, but he was very good during that spell and I'm sure if people weren't getting their knickers in a twist about his fee and crying about him after a few bad games, he'll bounceback.

He's been here for 14 months, and people are still saying he needs the right service and saying he does stuff off the ball.

He's a striker. He needs to score. He doesn't.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's been here for 14 months, and people are still saying he needs the right service and saying he does stuff off the ball.

He's a striker. He needs to score. He doesn't.

He hasn't scored in four games. He scored five in five prior. But sure, be as negative as you wish, it's really productive!

Feeling a bit in the middle with this debate. He was good in his little mini run, and I thought he was good against Blues even though he didn't score, but he has been very off the boil since and I wouldn't start him in preference to Grabban at this point, especially against Wolves - we can't be playing with effectively ten men. I guess the only argument against that is if having just Grabban up top allows their defenders to stand five or ten yards further forward. But on balance, he isn't offering enough to start right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

We always need a scapegoat

Its always a scapegoat for some players. Yet for others they are just crap. Very strange. 

How you can watch games like last night and think he is a scapegoat is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

He hasn't scored in four games. He scored five in five prior. But sure, be as negative as you wish, it's really productive!

You seem focused on a very small spell over 14 months being here. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Its always a scapegoat for some players. Yet for others they are just crap. Very strange. 

How you can watch games like last night and think he is a scapegoat is beyond me. 

I don't see the need after a 3-0 win and 9 wins in 11 to have to find someone in the team to slag off. 

He's a decent striker. He's not fantastic and he's not shit. He's had a tough time here but he's shown in spells he can do it.  

If Hogan wasn't playing last night, it would have been someone else slated.

Just enjoy the victory folks :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't see the need after a 3-0 win and 9 wins in 11 to have to find someone in the team to slag off. 

He's a decent striker. He's not fantastic and he's not shit. He's had a tough time here but he's shown in spells he can do it.  

If Hogan wasn't playing last night, it would have been someone else slated.

Just enjoy the victory folks :)

Discussing the limitations of Scott Hogan does nothing to effect my enjoyment of winning. 

Think the bit in bold is completely wrong. Plenty of games where the whole team earned praise. The derby being a prime example. 

3 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Yep he had a good 5 game run. Since then he's scored nothing. Before that he scored one league goal in 12 months.

But sure, be as positive as you wish. It's literally exactly the same amount of productive as me being negative

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â