Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

15 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He scored and we won so it doesn't really matter but he completed 4 passes in 82 minutes today and again barely touched the ball compared to others. 

I know we are back on to this 'excuse' again and people will gloss over it because we won but seriously we spent a good half of that game just lofting the ball forward to absolutely nobody. Not even attempting to use the midfield or put balls into feet.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, honest_bertie said:

Pleased he scored and prefer him in the team to Davies as it forces us to play better football and do things like cross the ball rather than hoof it long for Davies to hold up. Good to have both as options I guess but would rather start Hogan, for me he's a better player and seems to want it more. Not convinced as others seem to be by Davies as yet.

They both have different attributes, However,

• Davis is learning his trade and his decision making and positional play is still a bit suspect.....but his ability as a target man is useful to the team....He is raw.
  • Hogan is an experienced goalscorer who has had to adapt his game (hampered by injuries) and is just rediscovering his touch after an injection of a newly found confidence boost.

They are both valuable to us and The Manager will use them when the team and the play dictates.

• Like 1

Due to the price tag we sometimes we forget just how inexperienced he actually is.

He has only really had 3 years playing at a decent level, and had to deal with a whole season out with injury.

Hes still learning the game himself!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

He worked his socks off in that second half. He was chasing from one defender to another to put pressure on the ball coming out of defence. Davis was nowhere near as effective when he came on. 

As others have said, that was a proper strikers goal. They would look to blame their defenders for ball watching - Hogan did what top finishers do and attacked the ball. 

When he plays with so much effort it makes me like him a lot and if we were not set up to be so defensive he would score lots more. Hence, at Brentford, he scored frequently. 

Ditto,

not so sure of the defensive reference, cautious yes, I think there is a difference ,but then that is a contentious debate done to death, so sorry for mentioning it.

I think, just my take on it. 

• Defensive is parking the bus an sitting deep
  • Cautious is employing a containing game and counter attacking.

Steve Bruce did mention that he was desperate for the second goal....that does not imply to me he had defensive intentions.....Cautious Yes. ...but a team that has just put 4 past Arsenal, hardly surprising in my view.

Back on topic and back to Scott, I think we have a new player.

Edited by TRO

Interesting post match comments from Bruce on Agnew & Hogan

On Scott Hogan's fine form...

It's amazing how quickly you can gain confidence.

He gets a goal against Bristol City and he looks a different player.

I have to say, Steve Agnew has worked with him closely and done a great job.

He's oozing that bit of confidence now and he looked the real deal today.

People talking about Agnew. It seems he is having a very positive influence at Bodymoor. 

• Like 4

Been saying it for ages now.. this kid is a good player. First time at a big club and he struggled. Starting to get a run of games and hes finding his feet. Bruce could have dropped him after he didnt score in the first few but hes stuck with him and hes finally got two in two games. I hope he can continue it. Confidence can do marvelous things for a striker. Benteke was one that would go on a huge run and when he wasnt confident just wouldnt score for ages. 

I like how hard he presses and his hold up play/involvement was a little better too against Forest. 

• Like 2

He's starting to deliver, our attacking players are picking out his intelligent runs and he's benefiting from a more confident and balanced side. I think he'll score a lot more this season and if he does it'll be humble pie for some, he was never as a bad as some were making out. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's starting to deliver, our attacking players are picking out his intelligent runs and he's benefiting from a more confident and balanced side. I think he'll score a lot more this season and if he does it'll be humble pie for some, he was never as a bad as some were making out. 

We are now playing attacking football and actually finding him with decent balls. I for one am glad Bruce finally worked out how to use him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dick said:

We are now playing attacking football and actually finding him with decent balls. I for one am glad Bruce finally worked out how to use him.

I remember some saying that his runs are poor but that was never the case, earlier on I could see that he just wasn't getting the ball quick enough and it wasn't being put in the right areas for him, this has now changed and as a result he's scoring, no surprises here.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I remember some saying that his runs are poor but that was never the case, earlier on I could see that he just wasn't getting the ball quick enough and it wasn't being put in the right areas for him, this has now changed and as a result he's scoring, no surprises here.

Spot on. Something to do with Agnew?

• Like 2

Â