Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

You can see the shift in confidence. He is coming short for the ball. A lot more involved.

Ive said all along his confidence was shot to bits. He just wasn't a player anymore. Was just aimlessly wondering around. 

fair play to him for what's looking like he may have turned a corner. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I’m even allowing myself to dream that he is just about to enter a golden phase where his goals power us to automatic promotion.

Also thinking, much more of a team player than the Kodge.

I guess you could say the same about most players, especially strikers, but his game seems to rely heavily in confidence. 

I think Bruce will try and bring another striker in this month and i think most of us agree with that, i just worry how that effects Hogan. If we are going to see the best of him he needs to be starting games, when he comes off the bench it looks like he's playing with pressure on his shoulders and is ultimately ineffective imo. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I guess you could say the same about most players, especially strikers, but his game seems to rely heavily in confidence. 

I think Bruce will try and bring another striker in this month and i think most of us agree with that, i just worry how that effects Hogan. If we are going to see the best of him he needs to be starting games, when he comes off the bench it looks like he's playing with pressure on his shoulders and is ultimately ineffective imo. 

I would understand if Bruce brought in another striker. The pressure on him to succeed is incredible and we have been woefully short of goals.

Personally, However, I would go with my hunch that Hogan is coming good just at the right time and make him centrepiece of tne forward line.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I would understand if Bruce brought in another striker. The pressure on him to succeed is incredible and we have been woefully short of goals.

Personally, However, I would go with my hunch that Hogan is coming good just at the right time and make him centrepiece of tne forward line.

I'd still look for a replacement. Without the goal it was another pretty poor performance. When he's scoring great but he won't score every game and then he is doing nothing for us. 

Helping us at the moment and hope he continues to do so 

• Like 1

I am glad he followed up his goal last time out with another in this game. Hopefully he can get a run going now and build some confidence, and cement a place as an important player in our squad.

That said, I would still bring another forward in this month. We are still extremely short of numbers and goals up front, and if Hogan picks up a knock we are back to relying on a rookie 19yo to score the goals to get us promoted. Kodjia is looking like a long term absentee, Gabby has virtually retired to concentrate on his fashion design career and McCormack is unlikely to come good here now.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Kind of performance bent used to get slated for. 

Fantastic goal but just never in the game. As long as we win, then its job done but i hope we look to sign a forward this window. 

Nope.

You really don't like Scott Hogan, do you?!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Nope.

You really don't like Scott Hogan, do you?!

I just don't think he's very good and does enough. Games like today don't matter but if he doesn't score we are very limited because of him. He just doesn't get into the game at all. 

Full credit for the goal, the spin, the run and the finish was superb. His rest of the game was pretty poor. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

He has scored the same amount of games as davis with less starts. Delighted for him.

He's a £12 million + signing, Davis was let go from non league football a few years ago. Not sure that's much of a brag.

Shows why we need to sign another. 

I kind of agree with @DCJonah. I'm happy that he's started to score goals and there is no doubt that he is a quality finisher, but I really don't think he can lead the line on his own for us in the long term. He'll go really long spells in a game where he just isn't getting a touch - compare that with Davis when he came on tonight, he was battling for aerial balls, holding up the ball and bringing other players into the game. Personally I think we look much better as a team with Davis up front. Ideally, I think we'd play our best with both of them playing up front together. But, I don't think Bruce is the manager that will be able to get the best out of both of them and ultimately take us to a new level.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's a £12 million + signing, Davis was let go from non league football a few years ago. Not sure that's much of a brag.

Shows why we need to sign another. 

We need another striker for aure. But Hogan is a goal scorer thats a fact. Davis is abit raw needs to really work on his finishing.  Cant play them together though at the mo as midfield is doing so well

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We need another striker for aure. But Hogan is a goal scorer thats a fact. Davis is abit raw needs to really work on his finishing.  Cant play them together though at the mo as midfield is doing so well

If you say so. 

I used to be told that Kozak was one as well

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Kodak was abroad look at hogans previous record before he came. Hourihane was the same at first

Like kozak most of his goals have been in lower leagues. He had a good 35 game spell at Brentford. I'm not sure that makes it a fact he is a goal scorer. His record here is abysmal, maybe that will all now change but i'm not that confident. 

55 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He scored and we won so it doesn't really matter but he completed 4 passes in 82 minutes today and again barely touched the ball compared to others. 

Is it down to him though, his work rate, movement or more to do with the way we play? I just don't think he'll ever be suited for the way Bruce sets his teams up. Hogan seems a decent striker, but he is limited. 

Just now, vreitti said:

Is it down to him though, his work rate, movement or more to do with the way we play? I just don't think he'll ever be suited for the way Bruce sets his teams up. Hogan seems a decent striker, but he is limited. 

Think its a combination of him not being that good and the way we play. 

Â