Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Scott Hogan + service. Through balls and crosses he can run onto = a decent player who can score goals. 

Scott Hogan + no one anyone near him and bombing the ball on top of his head = no goals and effectively 10 men on the pitch cos he goes missing. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Was good to hear him speak so honestly in his post match interview. He knows he hasn't give us the return of goals that we want/expect and you can sense his frustration. He comes across as a really level-headed person with his feet on the ground. Hopefully yesterday was a sign of more to come form Scott. With a run in the team and playing in a manner that suits him (i.e. not hoofing it up to and over his head) I am hopeful he can prove a lot of people wrong and score plenty for us. I really think there's a great player with Hogan.

He interviews really well. His interview when he joined was very impressive as well. 

• Like 3

Loved that interview with him. Spoke a lot of sense about us playing at a fast pace and closing down and also acknowledge that it is down to him to ensure he keeps his place.  Also great to see how confident he was about us catching second and saying that with what we have in the dressing room we'll have no problems.

Seems a very level headed lad and it would be huge for us if that goal is the start of a run from him and he goes from strength to strength off the back of it.

4 hours ago, roonst83 said:

Was good to hear him speak so honestly in his post match interview. He knows he hasn't give us the return of goals that we want/expect and you can sense his frustration. He comes across as a really level-headed person with his feet on the ground. Hopefully yesterday was a sign of more to come form Scott. With a run in the team and playing in a manner that suits him (i.e. not hoofing it up to and over his head) I am hopeful he can prove a lot of people wrong and score plenty for us. I really think there's a great player with Hogan.

To be fair mate, I think most fans would agree that Hogan just needs people around him with an intelligent footballing brain that can read his runs off the shoulders of defenders. He also needs players who can put in decent crosses. Let's hope that he can get all that from Adomah, Grealish and Snodgrass now. 

• Like 1

I think two things will change his season... Grealish coming into the starting XI and the addition of Steve Agnew.

Grealish running at players, drawing defenders onto him means theres more room for the wide boys to get composed, quality crosses into the box, plus it means more room for Scotty too.

Agnew looks like he's having an effect on the way we play already, more attacking forward runing and pressing (as SH mentioned in his interview), which is excatly what Hogan needs to be effective.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Loved that interview with him. Spoke a lot of sense about us playing at a fast pace and closing down and also acknowledge that it is down to him to ensure he keeps his place.  Also great to see how confident he was about us catching second and saying that with what we have in the dressing room we'll have no problems.

Seems a very level headed lad and it would be huge for us if that goal is the start of a run from him and he goes from strength to strength off the back of it.

Its been said a thousand times in here but if Hogan is going to a success here it really depends on the way we play. Now I'm not going to get on at Bruce here (I've done enough of that in the Bruce thread), but i think the style of play that suits Hogan also suits us.

Yesterday we pressed up the field, the inclusion of Jedinak (who i think is more disciplined in the DM slot that GW), also meant Hourihane could press and venture forward. It gave Grealish options and Hogan thrived. As well as the goal he is probably not getting enough credit for the header that led to the second. 

A criticism of Hogan would be that he can only play in a certain set up, but on the evidence of last night, that set up also benefits Aston Villa. 

More of the same please. 

On 23/12/2017 at 20:12, rodders0223 said:

Didn't look right before the game. Warming up one of the coaches had his arm around him and having a proper heart to heart. Hogan's body language was head down, looked really affected by something.

Googling Steve Agnew since I am 99% sure it was him having a heart to heart to Scott.

I get he needs service etc but he also needs to do more for the team. Come deep sometimes and link up play. Put pressure on defences when they are passing it around at the back.  Pick the ball up and run at them from time to time. 

He hasn't been doing these things for whatever reason even though he is capable. He did these things yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah its on the Villa Youtube channel. First time I've ever seen it. Pretty impressive. 

LINK!!!

Actually don't bother. 360 Cam sounds better than it is. Behind the goal cam has more truth to it. 

And rewind - didn't see you could move it about - woooooo 

Edited by Jareth

The 25-year-old striker’s goal in Villa’s thumping 5-0 New Year’s Day win over Bristol City was his first in the Championship this season – and only his second since arriving in a big money move from Brentford last January.

Hogan hopes to use the strike as a platform to better things after admitting the lack of goals had left him low on confidence.

In a brutally honest interview, the Republic of Ireland international revealed how he sought the advice of friends and family and faced up to a few ‘home truths’ in a bid to recapture his form.

“The fans have been really good, considering their club spent a lot of money on a striker who hasn’t scored goals,” said Hogan.

“I would like to think they understand I do work hard. Hopefully I can repay them more than anything because they are brilliant.

“There are not many like them in this league - probably not many in the league above. I would like to just repay them and hopefully, if there are people are on my back, I can now start changing their opinion.”

He added: “I’m confident once I get going, once I get my confidence, you will see what you spent the money on.”

“I needed to get their opinion, they were going to be honest with me and they have been,” he said. “Maybe a few home truths have been told to me. You have to learn. I’m 25, a grown man.

"You have to look at yourself in the mirror sometimes, get your head straight, clear your mind and do what you can do, what you have always done. Hopefully that will now result in more goals.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2018/01/02/scott-hogan-vows-to-prove-his-worth-at-aston-villa-and-repay-fans-who-stuck-by-him/

A good read this, would be nice if it works out for him. Also mentions how he needs to adapt to the style, just seems like a very good bloke with a superb attitude and desire to succeed. 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

Â