Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Think its a combination of him not being that good and the way we play. 

I dunno. He reminds me of Shane Long. Don't think he'll ever develop into a superstar, but might still make an okay secondary striker, even in the PL.

• Like 1

He's a limited player but he's still a good player if that makes sense. He is quick, sharp and a good goalscorer. The other important thing he does compared to Davis is to hassle the defenders and close them down. Davis looks like he has lead in his shoes sometimes. However, Davis other attributes are also vitally important. It is good to have a blend. Ulloa is a good choice I feel as he can play to his feet and he is decent in the air.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roonst83 said:

I honestly think he's been made to appear more limited because we have a manager with a very limited approach to games. We have the players to absolutely play in a way that suits Hogan and would, I feel, bring him many more goals. However, we have a manager who can't set the team up to make the most out of the qualities of his own players. I'm not meaning to bash Bruce at all by the way. I like him and he's shown he can, through his dour and often uninspiring way, get results from this time but, I do feel Hogan is often victimised as having huge failings when he's been forced to try and play in a system that has no intention of making full use of his capability. (This isn't personal, in any way, to you Omariqy in case it looks like I'm jumping on your comment in rage :))

The reason he scored tonight has nothing to do with Steve Bruce in a direct sense.

He scored due to an excellent crossed ball and his newly found confidence lift has restored his technique to create a typical scorers goal.....which is what it was.

He is capable of that with or without Steve Bruce, in his own admission he had to deal with it himself.....never once blaming Steve Bruce.

lets hope he can build on that and his excellent work in the Bristol game.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Pleased for him. He’s limited but always looked like he could do something with good service. That cross was perfection but it was a terrific goal scorers goal.

I've played it back several times Terry, it was so simple, but great things usually are.

From a technical point of view it was a fabulous goal.....scored by a thinking man and timed to perfection.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roonst83 said:

I honestly think he's been made to appear more limited because we have a manager with a very limited approach to games. We have the players to absolutely play in a way that suits Hogan and would, I feel, bring him many more goals. However, we have a manager who can't set the team up to make the most out of the qualities of his own players. I'm not meaning to bash Bruce at all by the way. I like him and he's shown he can, through his dour and often uninspiring way, get results from this time but, I do feel Hogan is often victimised as having huge failings when he's been forced to try and play in a system that has no intention of making full use of his capability.

I agree with you there and it has to be said it is no coincidence that he has started featuring/scoring since the arrival of Agnew.

He has to keep his place over Davis while he is providing this goal scoring spell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I've played it back several times Terry, it was so simple, but great things usually are.

From a technical point of view it was a fabulous goal.....scored by a thinking man and timed to perfection.

It was a superb goal. Surely as Villa fans we can all agree on that?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, roonst83 said:

I honestly think he's been made to appear more limited because we have a manager with a very limited approach to games. We have the players to absolutely play in a way that suits Hogan and would, I feel, bring him many more goals. However, we have a manager who can't set the team up to make the most out of the qualities of his own players. I'm not meaning to bash Bruce at all by the way. I like him and he's shown he can, through his dour and often uninspiring way, get results from this time but, I do feel Hogan is often victimised as having huge failings when he's been forced to try and play in a system that has no intention of making full use of his capability. (This isn't personal, in any way, to you Omariqy in case it looks like I'm jumping on your comment in rage :))

So how do you - as an individual commentator - cope with the fact that he appears to be getting his goal scoring act together?

Could it possibly be that Steve Bruce is having a positive impact on Hogan and getting him to play effectively in a team seriously aiming for promotion rather than a joke team like Brentford? 

Edited by briny_ear

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

So how do you - as an individual commentator - cope with the fact that he appears to be getting his goal scoring act together?

Could it possibly be that Steve Bruce is having a positive impact on Hogan and getting him to play effectively in a team seriously aiming for promotion rather than a joke team like Brentford? 

Brentford a joke team? I think they play some great football and have a terrific manager 

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

He's the anti-Davis. He does nothing except score goals. Davis does everything except score goals. Both types have value to a team. 

We seem to have the new Heskey/Owen combo if we can get them I play together...

Pleased he scored and prefer him in the team to Davies as it forces us to play better football and do things like cross the ball rather than hoof it long for Davies to hold up. Good to have both as options I guess but would rather start Hogan, for me he's a better player and seems to want it more. Not convinced as others seem to be by Davies as yet.

• Like 1

He worked his socks off in that second half. He was chasing from one defender to another to put pressure on the ball coming out of defence. Davis was nowhere near as effective when he came on. 

As others have said, that was a proper strikers goal. They would look to blame their defenders for ball watching - Hogan did what top finishers do and attacked the ball. 

When he plays with so much effort it makes me like him a lot and if we were not set up to be so defensive he would score lots more. Hence, at Brentford, he scored frequently. 

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Brentford a joke team? I think they play some great football and have a terrific manager 

“Joke team” may be a bit harsh. I meant they are a jolly mid table championship team who play attacking football but leak lots of goals as well and are never going to progress above their current status.

My initial view was that Hogan flourished in that sort of football but had failed to adapt to the bigger task of trying to get promotion with a larger club with higher expectations and a troubled recent history. However, watching his performance yesterday I was impressed and I was just wondering whether the Villa manager and coaching team might have had a positive influence on his play.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with you there and it has to be said it is no coincidence that he has started featuring/scoring since the arrival of Agnew.

He has to keep his place over Davis while he is providing this goal scoring spell.

Saw an interview with Bruce where he said exactly that. Agnew had been working with Hogan having one on one training sessions. Seems to be working.

Edited by villan_007

If you give him service he will score. Simples! 

He has probably struggled due to the price tag and the fact he is at a huge club like Villa. If you've come through the ranks, you might be used to it but he was playing non league football a few years ago.

A bit like Vardy in that respect. He struggled at Leicester to begin with. I think us fans, me included, can be too quick to write players off.

Â