Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

Amazing stuff in the Guardian by Ben Fisher about the painful and weirdly inscrutable collapse of Villa's last title challenge in 1998. Be warned, it's like reading late-night horror stories. I found this bit from Lee Hendrie especially chilling. Sometimes, things just go pear-shaped and there's no explanation even decades later, like a love affair gone sour or a bad summer of golf. @mjmooney 

I thought we were going to go and win the league that season. I look back and still to this day cannot put my finger on why things unravelled. To go from one half of the season where you think you’re untouchable to one where you put the shirt on and don’t feel like you can win a game, it was hard to digest. We were winning games quite freely and then two defeats became three defeats and you think: “We’re falling away, here.” The gaffer tried everything to galvanise us to get back to winning ways – we went to Kingsbury water park and had a team-bonding army day – but we really struggled. It was a sickening end to the season.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Amazing stuff in the Guardian by Ben Fisher about the painful and weirdly inscrutable collapse of Villa's last title challenge in 1998. Be warned, it's like reading late-night horror stories. I found this bit from Lee Hendrie especially chilling. Sometimes, things just go pear-shaped and there's no explanation even decades later, like a love affair gone sour or a bad summer of golf. @mjmooney 

Bosnich getting injured was the first disaster. Secondly we had a small squad. Not signing Juninho hurt us as well. Doug didn’t want to spend that extra little something. Fatigue crept in and we fell away. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting that Merson was so against having a team photo after Southampton.

I always felt like it was just commemorating the record being broken, not so much “Hey, we’ve won the league”.

I suppose I wouldn’t expect Dean Smith to do similar after 10 league wins in a row or Unai Emery following 15 home wins…but I don’t know, it didn’t seem out of place at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Bosnich getting injured was the first disaster. Secondly we had a small squad. Not signing Juninho hurt us as well. Doug didn’t want to spend that extra little something. Fatigue crept in and we fell away. 

Really appreciate your perspective. It's just so cool to read how someone on VT saw it versus what's in the paper. I think I was struck by how the players STILL seem almost haunted by that year. Shows you how much of themselves players pour into the squad, at least with these players.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone see the piece on BBC today about Coventry wanting to put up a statue (or something ) in honour of Management the team that won the F.A. Cup ? George Curtis was there, so is anybody else old enough to remember when he came to Villa ? We were in the Third Div IIRC and a very poor team. George made a huge contribtion to the defence, just as ,argueably , John Terry did.   If you got past George once, you probably wouldn't do it again 😄

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Did anyone see the piece on BBC today about Coventry wanting to put up a statue (or something ) in honour of Management the team that won the F.A. Cup ? George Curtis was there, so is anybody else old enough to remember when he came to Villa ? We were in the Third Div IIRC and a very poor team. George made a huge contribtion to the defence, just as ,argueably , John Terry did.   If you got past George once, you probably wouldn't do it again 😄

I am and have said before that I will never forget seeing that giant of a man emerging from the tunnel for his first game at Villa Park. Players just bounced off him. He had thighs the size of my waist back then, not any longer though...:D His best days were behind him by then, but he did a lot to improve our central defence in the third division, as did JT more recently in the Championship. They both played a big part in getting our club back up to where we needed to be. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The atmosphere at that game was unbelievable. Even with all our recent success that one stands out.

Yes agree that night was a really special atmosphere. Certainly an entertaining match!

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/11/2023 at 20:47, Captain_Townsend said:

It annoys me more than it should that they haven't put that on YouTube,  or even instagram, platforms that are easier to share around than Musk's toxic hell hole

Need to get a branding expert in to sort this shit out. 

23 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Been reported that Pete the Greek has passed away. Those who know will know.  

Headbutting police horses in heaven 

HEITS

Different era then but I'm sure some will have interesting stories.

UTV!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Been reported that Pete the Greek has passed away. Those who know will know.  

Headbutting police horses in heaven 

HEITS

Thought he'd died years ago to be honest!

On 19/02/2024 at 04:48, withes_shin said:

Remember watching that game on a big screen in the Aston Villa Leisure Centre

Tony Daley's acceleration in the box is incredible. He just flips a switch and ... zoooooom.

33 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Tony Daley's acceleration in the box is incredible. He just flips a switch and ... zoooooom.

He truly was fast as ****. When he got away no one was catching him. If he could only play football he'd have genuinely been one of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately speed was 90% of his game. No less exciting though, talk about getting the crowd off their seat. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He truly was fast as ****. When he got away no one was catching him. If he could only play football he'd have genuinely been one of the greatest of all time. Unfortunately speed was 90% of his game. No less exciting though, talk about getting the crowd off their seat. 

Sounds similar to Adama Traore?

Â