Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One of the best games I've been at. What a day! 

On a side note, I always think fashion hasn't changed since the 90's... then i see the crowd! :D 

• Like 1

When Ugo hit the bar and then Richardson blasted over the bar, from the spot I had feared the very worst, but Bozzie saved the day.

He was top class during his time with us, what a pity it was that he was then tempted to re-join Newton Heath (the grass is not always greener) and make a move that virtually ended his PL career. He had played 3 games for them before they cancelled his contract in 1991, he then played 179 games for us, before returning there and making 23 appearances before moving to Chelsea, where he played all of 5 games. What a waste! For some reason he also seems to refer to his time at Newton Heath and Chelsea, more often than he does his time with us during interviews (despite having won two League Cup winners medals with us).     

Aston Villa can take heart from when they beat Tranmere in 'the most  dramatic match' | The Independent | The Independent  image.jpeg.f3eb39ebbb7655ac3f2bbe085db375e2.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I know it's fairly recent history, but it all seemed so much more fun, even a couple of years back. When did shit start to get so serious?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sidcow said:

I found this video fascinating. 

It shows how long ourselves and Everton were the 2 main teams in England, most of league history really. 

It also shows how we really messed up in Premier League times and how the big 6 are all really quite recent interlopers. 

Making it big at the right time at the formation of the Premier League really moulded the current situation. Bearing in mind we finished second in the first season it shows what a massive opportunity we missed. 

Sunderland as well. 

They've been managed appallingly. 

• Like 1

We won our last FA Cup 8 years before Liverpool won their first.

Despite all their success over the last 65 years, they have only today overtaken our total number of wins.

Will we ever see that beautiful pot at Villa Park again? 😢

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Despite all their success over the last 65 years, they have only today overtaken our total number of wins.

Dunno.

All we can say is that the club is in the best shape than for many a year....

• Like 1

On 27/02/2022 at 15:59, John said:

For some reason he also seems to refer to his time at Newton Heath and Chelsea, more often than he does his time with us during interviews (despite having won two League Cup winners medals with us).     

That’ll be because he’s an absolute total and utter 🛎 end. I did some work at his house years ago. The guy was so far up himself I can’t begin to tell you. 

Strangely enough a friend of mine once had Yorkie view her house with a view to buying it. I know he’s a plonker and burnt all his bridges with us when he went north but apparently he was great. Talked about The Villa and played with her young lads. He didn’t buy the house but spent ages there chatting football, of course generally Villa.  He couldn’t have been nicer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I know what you mean but in the last 15 years Portsmouth, Wigan and Leicester have managed to win it.

That has to give us a small (very small!) glimmer of hope..

12 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I really hope so🤞. I've always wanted to see us lift that trophy, from the 60s/70s when I would sit at home in front of the TV for the whole Saturday, to the days when we kept getting drawn away in Round 6, to those Wembley cup final days that started with hope, that was ultimately dashed. I've said before, that I would love us to do it whilst Peter McParland was still around to see it (don't those photographs below show Peter's pride in having won it with us? That third photograph adorns my wall by the way). It would also be nice for a few of us old boys that have witnessed us win almost everything else from the mid 70s onwards to see it lifted, to complete our set of domestic trophies, let alone for those fans that have now followed us for upwards of twenty odd years, without seeing us lift one of the big trophies. :hooray:

image.jpeg.8e3b7446cce42c080d0bcbdf90afeb97.jpeg  Villan on the Spot: Peter McParland | News | Aston Villa Football Club |  AVFC Sold Price: Peter McPARLAND Aston Villa Signed 12 x 8 inch football photo.  Good Condition. All autographed items - October 3, 0120 10:00 AM BST

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read some comments on a Rangers website about the 'infamous' friendly game and how they "took over" the Holte End?

The consensus was they came down to fight and teamed up with Liverpool fans to cause maximum disruption in the Holte...

Is this correct, was anyone there?

I was there, I'm not aware of them teaming up with Liverpool fans, in fact I doubt whether they would have been particularly friendly with them either. I think that they came down, got drunk and decided that they would stand en masse on the Holte. Villa fans sensibly decamped to the Witton End (in our case across the pitch at half time, because we had arrived five minutes before kick off and unaware that we were two of the few usual Holte Enders in our usual spot, until another mate whispered to us "Welcome to Glasgow"). It seemed that every other Rangers fan had a scar on their face and the one that didn't had a bottle of whisky in their pocket. My mate and I had neither, so we rather stood out in the crowd, even before someone we knew waved at us, as he was being marched behind the goal, arm in arm with two policeman. Predictably all of the Rangers fans in front of us turned around to see who he was waving to, as did we!:D They were fighting each other at the top of the Holte before it kicked off proper, but when we went 2-0 up, that was the final straw for them and they decided a drunken brawl was preferable to seeing their team take a beating on the pitch. Sore losers! 

• Like 2

Â