Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

7 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Sounds similar to Adama Traore?

More end product that Traore. He's 98% speed, 1% Mr Universe and 1% footballer. 

• Haha 1

Anyone know when that Gothic Victorian structure at the side of the North End was demolished? As late as when the North Stand was built? I guess some on VT may even remember it? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone know when that Gothic Victorian structure at the side of the North End was demolished? As late as when the North Stand was built? I guess some on VT may even remember it? 

In 1981. They had been used as the club's offices prior to that. During the 60's a gymnasium and a player's recreation area were housed in The Aquarium which was part of Aston Lower Grounds. Further information/pictures are on the link below:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2011/12/01/from-the-archives-villa-life-went-swimmingly-with-the-aquarium

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It was converted into a gym in the 1950/60s.

I think it was flattened during the 1989-90 season.

Doug put in planning permission for a hotel in its place in the corner of the North Stand, but nothing came of it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

In 1981. They had been used as the club's offices prior to that. During the 60's a gymnasium and a player's recreation area were housed in The Aquarium which was part of Aston Lower Grounds. Further information/pictures are on the link below:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2011/12/01/from-the-archives-villa-life-went-swimmingly-with-the-aquarium

Wow.  I'm surprised it was still there in 1981.  It would have been there in my first visits to the ground although I have no memory of it.

Shame, it looks like an amazing building.  I'm surprised as late as 1981 they didn't have any difficulty getting it knocked down.  They'd have had trouble just a few years later I suspect.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Wow.  I'm surprised it was still there in 1981.  It would have been there in my first visits to the ground although I have no memory of it.

Shame, it looks like an amazing building.  I'm surprised as late as 1981 they didn't have any difficulty getting it knocked down.  They'd have had trouble just a few years later I suspect.

I remember it. I recall there were still paint circles on one of the walls that the players perhaps used for target practice between the old Trinity and the club offices in the 60s. The buildings were noticeable,  when standing on the Witton End (at the right see pictures below).   

Villa Park 1937 For sale as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Photo Gifts image.jpeg.aa93c7b04afdb7cebea93233c8bd8821.jpeg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Still the best game I have been to. A Roller Coaster of emotions that day.

It really was a fantastic game highs and lows it was so Villa, it had it all, probably great for neutrals too!so even the noses could enjoy it mate!!

On 21/02/2024 at 08:44, John said:

Didn't the tower get demolished earlier?

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 13:11, Follyfoot said:

Been reported that Pete the Greek has passed away. Those who know will know.  

Headbutting police horses in heaven 

HEITS

Legendary in his time RIP Pete did the horse live this long? HEITS!!!

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Didn't the tower get demolished earlier?

Is it this the tower below? If so, I believe it is the Great Hall which was sold in 1888 and demolished for houses to be built upon the land, before the club moved to Villa Park. 

aston Brook Through aston Manor - Preserving the History of aston BIRMINGHAM - Villa Park (42,660 -> 50,065) | Page 26 | SkyscraperCity Forum 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

knackers yard soon after 🤣

I remember when trying to get into the away end vs Ipswich for the so called title decider,(it wasn’t!)in 1981 there was a huge crush, which was mainly Villa fans as the Holte was already full and none of us wanted to miss this one, by this point the old bill had already got plenty of horses out and one of them stood on a lads foot, not Pete’s I hasten to ad, however it must of really hurt as the lad let out a blood curdling yell and I remember that must have been the Horses revenge for the time one of his pals had met Pete! I’m not sure how old Pete was? At least he saw us win the league and the European cup. Would be good to put a trophy in the cabinet for him this season. Those were the days UTV!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I remember when trying to get into the away end vs Ipswich for the so called title decider,(it wasn’t!)in 1981 there was a huge crush, which was mainly Villa fans as the Holte was already full and none of us wanted to miss this one, by this point the old bill had already got plenty of horses out and one of them stood on a lads foot, not Pete’s I hasten to ad, however it must of really hurt as the lad let out a blood curdling yell and I remember that must have been the Horses revenge for the time one of his pals had met Pete! I’m not sure how old Pete was? At least he saw us win the league and the European cup. Would be good to put a trophy in the cabinet for him this season. Those were the days UTV!!!

Do you recall him going toe to toe with a well known face at the time a Millwall fan, who was said to be the hardest man in football, off the pitch. I believe this coming together was at Millwall I think in their end, I reckon when Ron said, “do you want to bet against us?” He probably had Pete in mind! I hope he had a peaceful and happy last years of his life and can RIP knowing his team are at last heading in the right direction RIP. HEITS UTV!!!!! I never met him and knew him only by reputation but they don’t make ‘em like him anymore. Terrace View on the Holte my arse!!!!!

20 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Do you recall him going toe to toe with a well known face at the time a Millwall fan, who was said to be the hardest man in football, off the pitch. I believe this coming together was at Millwall I think in their end, I reckon when Ron said, “do you want to bet against us?” He probably had Pete in mind! I hope he had a peaceful and happy last years of his life and can RIP knowing his team are at last heading in the right direction RIP. HEITS UTV!!!!! I never met him and knew him only by reputation but they don’t make ‘em like him anymore. Terrace View on the Holte my arse!!!!!

'Tiny' so legend has it, who was 6ft 7 🤣

On 29/02/2024 at 13:11, Follyfoot said:

'Tiny' so legend has it, who was 6ft 7 🤣

Well named then At merely 6’7” lucky we didn’t trip over him! 

• 4 weeks later...
Â