Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

People don't realise what an absolute titan we were between about 1890-1930. Most people around the world who liked football knew of us, most successful team in the country by far, definitely up there comparably with the likes of Real Madrid today. That's why we have so many references in literature of the time, so many teams play in claret and blue, even people and teams in other sports wore claret and blue in our image.

• Like 2

New here, hope this is an appropriate place for this post. Became a Villa supporter in 2011, as all in as someone living in the U.S. can be without yet being able to attend matches (am I a plastic?). I am fairly solid on my contemporary AV knowledge but lacking in deep history. What books would you all recommend for someone in my place? I have searched on the Internet but have yet to find any that appear to be definitive. Would really appreciate any suggestions, especially books that are still in print/won’t cost an arm & leg 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

12 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

New here, hope this is an appropriate place for this post. Became a Villa supporter in 2011, as all in as someone living in the U.S. can be without yet being able to attend matches (am I a plastic?). I am fairly solid on my contemporary AV knowledge but lacking in deep history. What books would you all recommend for someone in my place? I have searched on the Internet but have yet to find any that appear to be definitive. Would really appreciate any suggestions, especially books that are still in print/won’t cost an arm & leg 

Villa Park 100 Years by Simon Inglis is my all-time favourite Villa book.

The Aston Villa Story published in 1993 (Dean Saunders on the cover) is great too.

Aston Villa Greats by Leon Hickman is also a belter.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Yot are not plastic you are fantasic for choosing the right team!

Aston Villa Chronicles if you want to go back to the beginning 1874 - 1924

Or try and find the Aston Villa History BBC Video from around 1989 If possible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Villa Park 100 Years by Simon Inglis is my all-time favourite Villa book.

The Aston Villa Story published in 1993 (Dean Saunders on the cover) is great too.

Aston Villa Greats by Leon Hickman is also a belter.

Thank you kindly, Stephen 🍻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Yot are not plastic you are fantasic for choosing the right team!

Aston Villa Chronicles if you want to go back to the beginning 1874 - 1924

Or try and find the Aston Villa History BBC Video from around 1989 If possible.

You’re too kind, and thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated 

Â