Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I have read some comments on a Rangers website about the 'infamous' friendly game and how they "took over" the Holte End?

The consensus was they came down to fight and teamed up with Liverpool fans to cause maximum disruption in the Holte...

Is this correct, was anyone there?

The Old Bill put them in the Holte overnight on the Friday just to get them off the streets. The real trouble started after a tricolour was unveiled in the Witton to which they took great offence. Contrary to common belief they did not have it all their own way by any means with a group of Villa supporters called the Steamers  giving just as good as they got and more

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I was there, I'm not aware of them teaming up with Liverpool fans, in fact I doubt whether they would have been particularly friendly with them either. I think that they came down, got drunk and decided that they would stand en masse on the Holte. Villa fans sensibly decamped to the Witton End (in our case across the pitch at half time, because we had arrived five minutes before kick off and unaware that we were two of the few usual Holte Enders in our usual spot, until another mate whispered to us "Welcome to Glasgow"). It seemed that every other Rangers fan had a scar on their face and the one that didn't had a bottle of whisky in their pocket. My mate and I had neither, so we rather stood out in the crowd, even before someone we knew waved at us, as he was being marched behind the goal, arm in arm with two policeman. Predictably all of the Rangers fans in front of us turned around to see who he was waving to, as did we!:D They were fighting each other at the top of the Holte before it kicked off proper, but when we went 2-0 up, that was the final straw for them and they decided a drunken brawl was preferable to seeing their team take a beating on the pitch. Sore losers! 

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The Old Bill put them in the Holte overnight on the Friday just to get them off the streets. The real trouble started after a tricolour was unveiled in the Witton to which they took great offence. Contrary to common belief they did not have it all their own way by any means with a group of Villa supporters called the Steamers  giving just as good as they got and more

As I suspected they have a rather different view of things at the link below, they were the most feared fans in Britain they would lead you to believe....

Villa v Rangers 76

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

As I suspected they have a rather different view of things at the link below, they were the most feared fans in Britain they would lead you to believe....

Villa v Rangers 76

Will have a read of that with my cocoa tonight, cheers 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That Follow Follow forum is an amusing read. I think the following comment from it says it all, "His recollection of the day was the Rangers fans just going absolutely wild and out of control."

3 minutes ago, John said:

That Follow Follow forum is an amusing read. I think the following comment from it says it all, "His recollection of the day was the Rangers fans just going absolutely wild and out of control."

Yeah they seem to be a slightly unhinged group...

• Like 1

I remember the day well. There were stories of them pissed up and looting town. Breaking into shops and sleeping in the shops on Friday night. It’s true that the old bill let them stay in the Holte after some of them had broken in.

I was going to go to the game but didn’t bother in the end because it was only a friendly. Most Villa fans at the time thought it was a pathetic cheap shot at us when were basically not bothered as it was a friendly. 

This was the 70s when the Scot’s used to invade London for the home internationals every other year. This went on for years until England got fed up of it and got organised and started arranging cultural exchange visits to Hampden. The whole lot ended when the home internationals finished. 

They love coming down to England because let’s face it they rarely qualify for anything, so it’s a chance for a day out. 

They didn’t take the Holte the only thing the Bay City Rollers took was Lee Longlands and they even waited until that was shut. They certainly didn’t have it all there own way once the pitch invasion started, the Steamers would have made sure of that. This was pre C Crew days. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Excuse my ignorance, what's a tricolour, in regards to upsetting Rangers fans?

The Republic of Ireland flag, used by Celtic fans.

• Thanks 1

Yes Dave, we had about the Rangers fans running amok in town and in Aston that morning as well, but hadn't thought there would be quite so many of them and guessed (wrongly as it proved) that the stories may have been somewhat sensationalised by the time they had reached us.

A photograph of the actual game, before their "fans" had seen enough and could take no more (Denis Mortimer hits our first, can't find one of Frank Carrodus hitting the second, I guess the cameramen understandably, didn't fancy having their backs to the Holte End by then;)) and one of the match programme (young Villa fans at an earlier game, clearly prepared for what was to come that afternoon:)).   

Aston Villa, Rangers and the worst violence ever seen at Villa Park on  'Sick Saturday' - Birmingham Live RARE Aston Villa v Glasgow Rangers Friendly Fixture 1976 excellent find |  #426643830 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colhint said:

definition of an atheist. Someone who watches Celtic v Rangers for the football.

This is interesting...

I have on occasion tried to watch the Ranger v Celtic games because we are often told things like it's the greatest derby match in world football and the atmosphere etc.

However truth be told everytime I watch one I get bored after five to ten minutes because of the poor level of the game. They are just distinctly average.

The people who tell us how good these matches are are the ones who support them. It's subjective!

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

One of life's great puzzles as that when you watch a match between Scotland's two biggest teams you hardly see a Scottish flag.

Yes there’s more focus on the cultural differences between the two sets of fans rather than being Scottish for this particular rivalry..

Puts on tin hat 🎩 

On 06/06/2022 at 15:02, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I have read some comments on a Rangers website about the 'infamous' friendly game and how they "took over" the Holte End?

The consensus was they came down to fight and teamed up with Liverpool fans to cause maximum disruption in the Holte...

Is this correct, was anyone there?

The interviewer at the end asking the residents "what are you all doing about it then?". Unbelievable.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2017/03/28/villa-flashback-the-name-aston-villa

VILLA FLASHBACK: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE NAME ‘ASTON VILLA’

Movie icon Tom Hanks loves the sound of it. Famed journalist Richard Whitehead thinks it's "heartstoppingly lovely." 

Current manager Steve Bruce counts it as his earliest recollection of the club. Former boss John Gregory thinks there an "aura" about it. 

This is a very interesting OS article about the origin of the "magical" name Aston Villa.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in 1966, 51,419 spectators were at Villa Park to see two teams that England would later go on to beat, that fielded the likes of Marzolini, Rattin, Schnellinger, Beckenbauer, Haller, Overath, Seller and Held:

image.jpeg.d31764b00950aaf93b6655c34d562906.jpeg Pin auf 1966 world cup image.jpeg.2f7536ae46c916d130e7c0e4c107284d.jpeg Pin auf 1966 world cup image.jpeg.72b4f7af6c5671c2af9f0942576a7c02.jpeg

1 hour ago, John said:

On this day in 1966, 51,419 spectators were at Villa Park to see two teams that England would later go on to beat, that fielded the likes of Marzolini, Rattin, Schnellinger, Beckenbauer, Haller, Overath, Seller and Held:

image.jpeg.d31764b00950aaf93b6655c34d562906.jpeg Pin auf 1966 world cup image.jpeg.2f7536ae46c916d130e7c0e4c107284d.jpeg Pin auf 1966 world cup image.jpeg.72b4f7af6c5671c2af9f0942576a7c02.jpeg

Second picture up, the play obviously near the Witton and you still only get half the Holte. Impossible to describe to anybody who never saw it, incredible looking back really

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

On 15/07/2022 at 22:59, Brumstopdogs said:

Despite the geographic proximity, didn't arsenal pull some dodgy shit to get in the top league at the expense of spurs? Thinking when the leagues restarted after WW1? 

Â