Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

23 minutes ago, turnbull said:

My dad took me to my first Villa game in September 1969 v Hull  City, we won 3-2.

I was 9 years old and attended Kingsland Road junior and infants in Kingstanding. We used to play football on Cooksey Lane playing fields just up the road. Back then Villa trained on there, so we were within ball kicking distance of our heroes. The teacher used to tell is off for paying more attention to the players than our game! 

Any other ex Kingsland kids on VT? 

Villa trained on Cooksey Lane playing fields?? The house where I grew up backed into those. Admittedly much later on than that, but still. Interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turnbull said:

My dad took me to my first Villa game in September 1969 v Hull  City, we won 3-2.

I was 9 years old and attended Kingsland Road junior and infants in Kingstanding. We used to play football on Cooksey Lane playing fields just up the road. Back then Villa trained on there, so we were within ball kicking distance of our heroes. The teacher used to tell is off for paying more attention to the players than our game! 

Any other ex Kingsland kids on VT? 

Yes, actually lived on Kingsland Rd too. Before moving up north. Grandparents lived on Cooksey Lane. Fond memories of those playing fields in the 90's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Villa trained on Cooksey Lane playing fields?? The house where I grew up backed into those. Admittedly much later on than that, but still. Interesting.

The club sold its previous training ground on Trinity Road to King Edwards Grammar School in Aston, ironically my secondary school after leaving Kingsland. Doug Ellis purchased the land for Bodymoor Heath from a farmer in 1970. 

5 minutes ago, turnbull said:

The club sold its previous training ground on Trinity Road to King Edwards Grammar School in Aston, ironically my secondary school after leaving Kingsland. Doug Ellis purchased the land for Bodymoor Heath from a farmer in 1970. 

Haha, I went to Aston too and spent many a miserable day being forced to play rugby there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Haha, I went to Aston too and spent many a miserable day being forced to play rugby there.

I also hated the game, love watching it now though. Ended up playing hockey in the end, that was bloody dangerous too! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2021 at 20:02, turnbull said:

Never realised villa trained at KE Aston. I may have tried harder in PE lessons if I'd known!

• Haha 1

On 25/04/2021 at 17:35, Follyfoot said:

Probably closer to 60,000 than 50,000. The other game that springs to mind was the Sunderland game, I think they locked the doors an hour before kickoff

I was at both of those games, incredible memories. I was just a kid, 12, for the Sunderland game. Me and Dad used to sit in the lovely old Trinity road back then. We couldn’t get in, I think it was only about 1 o’clock. So we managed to get into the Holte which was already heaving. It was a boiling hot day and loads of people were passing out. They were being passed over peoples heads to the St. John’s Ambulance boys, the pitch was lined with people recovering! Loads of us kids got passed into the moat so we didn’t get so squashed. The most was as full as the rest of the Holte by 3 o’clock! 

Sunderland packed the Witton too, they still had an outside chance of going up. Sir Brian ended that with a that spectacular goal. The place erupted, I can still feel it now, goosebumps.

57000+ apparently. That didn’t count all of those that sneaked in, lifted over the turnstiles etc. Also back in the day before digital records I’m pretty sure Doug wasn’t particularly accurate with his counting when it came to income. Out goings were a different story of course, he didn’t miss a penny then!

I’m pretty sure the Bendals used the same accounting methods, or worse, for the count at that Albion game. Again absolute mayhem on the Holte. There’s those goosebumps again. 

• Like 3

On 27/07/2021 at 20:08, Lichfield Dean said:

Haha I went to KEGS Aston too but I loved rugby. I was a much better rugby player than I’ve ever been a footballer. My Dad was a rugby nut and played for the RAF first team. Sadly he passed away in 1999 and missed England winning the World Cup.

My heart then and always belonged across the park though. Dad took me to Villa Park hundreds of times though and he was chosen too. I have to say there wasn’t a sport that he didn’t follow, he’d watch anything and everything. Would drive my Mom nuts!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2021 at 09:21, DaveAV1 said:

I was at both of those games, incredible memories. I was just a kid, 12, for the Sunderland game. Me and Dad used to sit in the lovely old Trinity road back then. We couldn’t get in, I think it was only about 1 o’clock. So we managed to get into the Holte which was already heaving. It was a boiling hot day and loads of people were passing out. They were being passed over peoples heads to the St. John’s Ambulance boys, the pitch was lined with people recovering! Loads of us kids got passed into the moat so we didn’t get so squashed. The most was as full as the rest of the Holte by 3 o’clock! 

Sunderland packed the Witton too, they still had an outside chance of going up. Sir Brian ended that with a that spectacular goal. The place erupted, I can still feel it now, goosebumps.

57000+ apparently. That didn’t count all of those that sneaked in, lifted over the turnstiles etc. Also back in the day before digital records I’m pretty sure Doug wasn’t particularly accurate with his counting when it came to income. Out goings were a different story of course, he didn’t miss a penny then!

I’m pretty sure the Bendals used the same accounting methods, or worse, for the count at that Albion game. Again absolute mayhem on the Holte. There’s those goosebumps again. 

Loved that team. Saw us beat Blackpool 3-0 and Shef Wednesday 4-0 in the week before that game and couldn't get to Norwich for the final game in Which Frank Pimblett made his debut and starred. 

On 16/08/2021 at 18:32, Kingman said:

236283165_4421120774613089_4315615666302

Love this walk like it's the first time, every time. 

What's great about that, if you didn't look closely at the cars and didn't know when Trinity was rebuilt, it could be a 60 year old photo.

Re "it's like the first time" that's how I always felt about the AV floodlights until they were removed. At night games the heart beat a little faster EVERYTIME they first came into view. All the more if there was a little mist or fog around. 

I can still vividly remember sitting on my dad's shoulders going under those lights in a crowded road, probably 1975 or so with a massive Villa Rosette on my jumper. It's probably one of my very first totally clear memories. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

If the world was a fairer place every one of those guys would be a multi millionaire now instead of running pubs or whatnot. 

When you think of so many bang average players now earning £25k per week. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Been meaning to get this out of the loft for a while now. Anybody else seen one. My aunt who used to live by VP brought it about 50-55 years ago I guess. Don't know if it was purchased in the club shop, one of the match day vendors outside the ground or a local shop. Think it's stoneware maybe pottery and has 'PHLIPDIDIT' written on the back. Sadly my aunt is no longer with us to ask.

20210830_190752_0000.png

1 hour ago, markc said:

Been meaning to get this out of the loft for a while now. Anybody else seen one. My aunt who used to live by VP brought it about 50-55 years ago I guess. Don't know if it was purchased in the club shop, one of the match day vendors outside the ground or a local shop. Think it's stoneware maybe pottery and has 'PHLIPDIDIT' written on the back. Sadly my aunt is no longer with us to ask.

Is PHLIPDIDIT the original DHUTWU? Would explain the look on his face...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, markc said:

20210830_190752_0000.png

It looks like a young Herbert D Ellis after inventing the bicycle kick. 

• Like 1

Â