Aston Villa History Thread

VILLAMARV

34 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It looks like a young Herbert D Ellis after inventing the bicycle kick. 

Got a faint memory that it was a caricature of Charlie Aitken, not 100% sure though. Just Googled the kit and looks like 1974 so just about fits.

PicsArt_08-30-10.03.07.jpg

PicsArt_08-30-07.08.38.jpg

• Like 2

Went down a YouTube rabbit hole today with the year end Villa season reviews. Around the Little / early Gregory. What a team!

Yorke - best striker i've seen in a Villa shirt (been watching since late 80's)

Savo - underrated... fantastic technical ability and scored a fair share. He'd be considered a success now. Got over the top ridicule from other fans and tabloids.

Collymore - you could really see the Jekyll and Hyde character. When on form he was unplayable

Hendrie - what a player... should have been so much more. He had superb ability. Very similar to our recently departed captain. 

Draper - a great number 8... got stuck in, could pass and scored a fair few

Taylor - legend... he was a far better player than people remember as well... unbelievable engine, run up and down the pitch all day and always in the right place for a goal. 

Staunton - wonderful left foot and those lung bursting runs down the left

Add in the great Southgate and Ehiogu at the back and the likes of Nelson (such a good crosser), Wright, Charles, Oakes and Bozzie. All of them I have fond memories of.

The atmosphere in the home game against Atletico Madrid 😍  Has it ever been bettered?

Good times... I think I went to all the home games that season. 

The league seemed more competitive as well... Arsenal won the league in 1998 on 78 points. 40 points got relegated. The gap between top and bottom was so much smaller. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Was just watching that too.

I went to that one too - as you say what an atmosphere.

The Holte were just willing the ball in the net and we were so close to getting that third goal. Great to see the old matches and forgot what a decent team we had!

Yeah, was in the lower Holte for that game. That Hendrie shot towards the end! The ground was rocking that night. Loved the big European games... absolutely loved the white shirts a home as well. 

You look back on these times and you never appreciate how good we had it then. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yeah, was in the lower Holte for that game. That Hendrie shot towards the end! The ground was rocking that night. Loved the big European games... absolutely loved the white shirts a home as well. 

You look back on these times and you never appreciate how good we had it then. 

I was in the upper Holte so not far away. Yes, remember the Hendrie shot - thought it was in. I think the whole ground did!

They were certainly magical nights but back then Villa seemed to be in Europe a lot more often so kind of took it for granted at the time. We'll get those days back - just got to believe.🙏

On 30/08/2021 at 19:26, markc said:

Been meaning to get this out of the loft for a while now. Anybody else seen one. My aunt who used to live by VP brought it about 50-55 years ago I guess. Don't know if it was purchased in the club shop, one of the match day vendors outside the ground or a local shop. Think it's stoneware maybe pottery and has 'PHLIPDIDIT' written on the back. Sadly my aunt is no longer with us to ask.

20210830_190752_0000.png

Get to the next local antiques roadshow, that’s got to be worth a few grand surely!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Finished 1-1 (Green the scorer)

Our team : Warner, Cox, Coulton, Yates, Devey.H, Dawson, Brown.A, Green, Allen, Garvey, Dixon.A. Our star striker at the time, Archie Hunter was missing for that game, and that was one of only 2 games Garvey played all season. The first game and the final game.

• Like 1

File:Aston villa 1887.jpg 

Our 1887 FA Cup Winners: Frank Coulton, James Warner, Fred Dawson, Joe Simmonds, Albert Allen; Richmond Davis, Albert Brown, Archie Hunter, Howard Vaughton, Dennis Hodgetts; Harry Yates, John Burton.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John said:

Our 1887 FA Cup Winners: Frank Coulton, James Warner, Fred Dawson, Joe Simmonds, Albert Allen; Richmond Davis, Albert Brown, Archie Hunter, Howard Vaughton, Dennis Hodgetts; Harry Yates, John Burton.

There’s something about the photographs from the 1800’s that captivates me. I find it somewhat difficult to comprehend just how long ago that was. I don’t know too much about the playing ages of players during that era - I’d guess it isn’t too dissimilar to present times - maybe they even played until a little older than they do now. However, some of these guys may have died over 100 years ago… it’s absolutely crazy. 

Thank you for representing the Villa back then, gentlemen. 👍

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Finished 1-1 (Green the scorer)

Our team : Warner, Cox, Coulton, Yates, Devey.H, Dawson, Brown.A, Green, Allen, Garvey, Dixon.A. Our star striker at the time, Archie Hunter was missing for that game, and that was one of only 2 games Garvey played all season. The first game and the final game.

Don’t know what it was like by you but I found it hard to get a pint at half time and they sold out of pies

6 hours ago, John said:

Love the pose of the guy at the back middle with the tash. Who dear? Me dear? No dear! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â