The retro gaming thread!

BOF

All of that guys videos are excellent. One of the first punch out ones he did was fascinating, really in depth, and then he just kinda drops it in there that he is one the record holders. 

Yeah I plugged that guy's videos somewhere else on this site. They're all excellent. He's a Punch Out speed runner himself so lots of the videos are about that. But he does loads on mario and mario kart and similar as well. 

They're really well made. Makes quite a dull subject absolutely enthralling!

I've been playing a bit of Age of Empires II. Loved it as a younger teenager but mainly just played against my brother. Had another go probably about 8 years ago and became aware of build orders etc to be able to improve - could eventually (sometimes) beat the AI on its hardest difficulty setting. Now, despite trying to re-learn some of that stuff, I can't even beat it on 'moderate'. Thought about playing online initially but I'd clearly get my ass handed to me!

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 08:52, Troglodyte said:

I've been playing a bit of Age of Empires II. Loved it as a younger teenager but mainly just played against my brother. Had another go probably about 8 years ago and became aware of build orders etc to be able to improve - could eventually (sometimes) beat the AI on its hardest difficulty setting. Now, despite trying to re-learn some of that stuff, I can't even beat it on 'moderate'. Thought about playing online initially but I'd clearly get my ass handed to me!

Check out T90Official who casts  AoE games on Twitch and Youtube. He features a mix of pro tournaments and community games on his channel, which is perfect background material while I am "working from home".

The regicide games are often very entertaining with 8 players allying then stabbing each other in the back.

• 4 weeks later...

Playing it now, Free with gamepass on xbox/pc :)looks & plays well, still the same issues as with any side scrolling beat em up really though in that it gets repetitive very quickly (mainly due to levels being too long at 10-15 minutes each, Hell you can finish double dragon quicker than you can get through level 2)  but is enjoyable anyway. If you like the genre this is well worth a look. I know DF have made a bit of a feature out of intelligent AI constantly changing attacks but it's not something you notice too much ingame (at least on normal & hard so far)

Edited by LakotaDakota

• 1 month later...

Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann (who appears to be going mildly mad in lockdown) plays a bunch of Sega titles from various periods on an emulator to celebrate their 60th Anniversary.

The Harrier game he pays I'd never even heard of. Obscure arcade only release.

• Like 1

Speaking of which, Arcade1up just annonced these new arcade cabinets they're releasing for anybody who's into that thing. I didn't know I was into it until I saw that. Makes me want to spruce up my basement all of a sudden (and empty my wallet!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

DF Retro covers the Final Fight series, a series done dirty over the years and now basically living on only in the guise of various characters moving across to Street Fighter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not strictly a game,  but High Score on Netflix is a great watch if you're into the history of games.   1st episode is all about Space Invaders and Pac-Man.  Even back then people were modding games; that's where Ms Pac-Man came from. 

High Score!

Edited by dubbs

Finished it, definitely hope they do more 

Spoiler

For personal preference I wanted them to dedicate a whole episode to the snes, also feel that for how significant a machine it was the game boy was quickly passed over

In the future I'd like an episode looking at zelda and MGS too

Â