Colin Calderwood

Sam3773

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-set-appoint-colin-12193974

Aston Villa set to appoint Colin Calderwood as assistant boss as coach quits Brighton

Brighton and Hove Albion have this evening announced that Colin Calderwood has left the club.

News broke this evening that Aston Villawere hopeful of making the Scot Steve Bruce’s number two, ahead of the meeting between the Seagulls and claret and blues on the south coast tomorrow evening.

Calderwood has worked with Chris Hughton at Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and Brighton, but is expected to join the Villa back-room staff.

A short statement on the Albion website read: “Brighton & Hove Albion can confirm that assistant manager Colin Calderwood has resigned from the club to take up a new position elsewhere.

He was placed on gardening leave on Saturday 12 November 2016 to serve his notice period.”

Calderwood played for Villa during the 1999-2000 campaign.

Looks pretty nailed on. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Remember him well as a player and though he played for us at the arse end of his career, think he'd have been mid 30's, he was still a very good central defender.

Seems to have been with a number of clubs as an assistant who have done well in the Championship so would seem a solid addition to the back room staff.

He was solid, a warrior. I really liked him. 

Ticks all the boxes. Hughton and Bruce employ a similar style, similar club ethic. He also has a couple of promotions on his CV, played for Villa, worked at Birmingham so knows the area and will likely settle quickly. 

Smart. 

• Like 3

Very surprised at this....he's generally followed Hughton everwhere....served as a coach under him at Newcastle, Norwich and now at Brighton.

He actually got on a train I was on a few years back as I think Norwich were playing West Brom...think he got on at Rugby so perhaps still lives locally?

Either him and Hughton have had a major falling out or we've giving him a massive increase in salary.

As it stands Brighton are more likely to go up so interested as to his reasons.

24 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well didn't see that one coming...

Amazing timing with the game this evening, could work either way I guess. Odd given his time spent with Houghton.

As for why he is coming, huge difference in the size of the clubs, the facilities, finance and ambition. Let's not sell ourselves short.

Liked him as a player in his brief time here, he was just what we needed at that moment.

Very interesting development, wonder how long his gardening leave will last?!

Liked him as a player too, seem to remember us signing him when we were short at the back and on a pretty poor run, helped us steady things up. 

14 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

Very interesting development, wonder how long his gardening leave will last?!

Liked him as a player too, seem to remember us signing him when we were short at the back and on a pretty poor run, helped us steady things up. 

Gardening leave is over. He formally left yesterday.

• Like 1

The Brighton fans aren't happy at all about this. They see it as Villa playing mind games to try to get an advantage for tonight. They said the same about Jedi after Bruce said he probably wouldn't play. 

I understand he has family in Northampton, or somewhere near there and has been commuting to the south coast for work.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Well didn't see that one coming...

Amazing timing with the game this evening, could work either way I guess. Odd given his time spent with Houghton.

As for why he is coming, huge difference in the size of the clubs, the facilities, finance and ambition. Let's not sell ourselves short.

Liked him as a player in his brief time here, he was just what we needed at that moment.

I like dhim as a player as well. Find it odd that he is leaving  aside thats probably going to finish 2nd to a team 14th in the league and still a lot of work to be done to get into play off places. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I like dhim as a player as well. Find it odd that he is leaving  aside thats probably going to finish 2nd to a team 14th in the league and still a lot of work to be done to get into play off places. 

Two big assumptions there Demmers, long long way to go yet especially in this league. Teams fall away and teams go on surges in the Championship every season. 

I'm not saying we are going to swap places just that what you are saying isn't certain.

There other factors such as I've already mentioned and our geographical location which are rather more definite.

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Two big assumptions there Demmers, long long way to go yet especially in this league. Teams fall away and teams go on surges in the Championship every season. 

I'm not saying we are going to swap places just that what you are saying isn't certain.

There other factors such as I've already mentioned and our geographical location which are rather more definite.

Good points there TV and definitely could happen. I have no doubts in my mind had we started the season with Bruce we would be in top 4 by now. If Bruce got us automatic promotion from now they should build a statue outside Villa Park of him!

Â