Colin Calderwood

Sam3773

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't get why he is coming here considering where they are in the league.

His "job" if he stayed at BHA and they went up would still be the same and it would still be 130 miles and 2 and a half hours away from his home in Northamptonshire.

I guess he can move to Villa, get paid the same or more, be much closer to home and work with someone he's also worked with before at a club he knows.

• Like 1

I will be honest I wouldn't know how to tell a good assistant manager from a bad one. If a team does well the manager gets the praise - if someone is a really good assistant manager - why isn't he a manager ? - Does being a good manager mean you would make a good assistant manager.

The key thing here is that Bruce has done reasonably well with a variety of people employed as his number 2. So this looks a reasonable appointment. 

If and when Brucey moves on - it would seem a good bet that CC would be in the frame to step up - In a way I hope that doesn't happen - we need to keep appointing the best guy for the job. A structure and stability help but they are a means to an end - not an end in themselves

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

I will be honest I wouldn't know how to tell a good assistant manager from a bad one. If a team does well the manager gets the praise - if someone is a really good assistant manager - why isn't he a manager ? - Does being a good manager mean you would make a good assistant manager.

The key thing here is that Bruce has done reasonably well with a variety of people employed as his number 2. So this looks a reasonable appointment. 

If and when Brucey moves on - it would seem a good bet that CC would be in the frame to step up - In a way I hope that doesn't happen - we need to keep appointing the best guy for the job. A structure and stability help but they are a means to an end - not an end in themselves

There more the coaching side of things aren't they? Notice the amount of assistants who go on to really struggle as manager. I think a good assistant is a really good coach and is someone the manager trusts to take training ahead of say a first team coach. I'm taking a wild guess and I'm sure someone will put me right but assistants are more coaches than managers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

His "job" if he stayed at BHA and they went up would still be the same and it would still be 130 miles and 2 and a half hours away from his home in Northamptonshire.

I guess he can move to Villa, get paid the same or more, be much closer to home and work with someone he's also worked with before at a club he knows.

Ah right I didnt realise the travel aspect for him, that probably does make more sense. In addition ex player he had some good times here so all could play  apart. Hopefully turns out a better assistant than clarke and wilkins did

6 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

I've no recollection of him playing for us - he would've been deputy for the Southgate / Ehiogu / Barry back three at that stage IIRC.

We signed him I think in March 1999 and actually picked up form when he came on....would've been a good one to pick up in the January when we lost Ugo up at Newcastle when Shearer elbowed him and defensively we fell apart afterwards...

I still look at that season and wondered what the hell happened...from leading the league and playing magnificently even into January....we finished behind West Ham!

• Like 1

Good appointment ,has plenty of experience in champ as a assistant exactly what we needed really solid coaching team been put together ,shows how much people like working for Bruce all his mangement team left clubs to come to us big bonus that Bruce can get the coaching staff he wants in .

Â