Colin Calderwood

Sam3773

13 hours ago, sne said:

If he is causing all this crap he must be the most influential assistant in the history of football.

And that would raise the question what is Bruce actually doing to allowing all this to happen?

I'm all for replacing Calderwood, but the buck stops with Bruce.

As manager he is responsible.

Spot on. 

The buck stops with the manager. He I assume chose Calderwood or at least gave the appointment his blessing. If Calderwood has been shown to be a poor choice then Bruce being manager should have identified that and rectified it. With Phelan his previous assistant now out of work you’d think by now if Calderwood was an issue then Bruce would have acted.

Calderwood came with a good reputation. Been assistant manager when Newcastle got promoted, assistant last season at Brighton when they had an excellent season and came within a whisker of promotion and assistant at the start of this season where they made an excellent start. That is about as much as I know about him as like 99.99% of fans I don’t have a clue what he does in training, what his methods are etc. The bottom line for me is that the manager is responsible for his coaching staff and if they aren’t up to the task they identify it and replace them. To not do so would put their own job on the line so I’d imagine it is crucial they get the right staff around them. As things stand purely based on the fact Bruce hasn’t made changes then he appears happy with his staff.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Are you sure we had any momentum?

We'd just lost to Leeds 2-0

A lucky 1-0 v Wigan

Lost 1-0 v Norwich

2 wins, 1 unconvincing & 1 lucky

QPR 1-0 & 2-1 v Burton

A home draw 1-1 v Leeds

and a disgracefull 1-0 defeat v Cardiff

Momentum at playing shit yes

Well he got 8 wins from somewhere.....on the back of 1 win in 12 from RDM, so I would call that a bit of momentum.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As we're giving Agnew all the credit for improving us in an attacking sense, how about a little for our Assistant Manager slash Defensive Coach for how organised we look at the back? And have done for most of the season, despite multiple injuries and declining ability from Whelan. 

We only ever seem to concede from individual errors, rarely is there an issue tactically. He has some fine tools at his disposal granted, but then so does Agnew. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As we're giving Agnew all the credit for improving us in an attacking sense, how about a little for our Assistant Manager slash Defensive Coach for how organised we look at the back? And have done for most of the season, despite multiple injuries and declining ability from Whelan. 

We only ever seem to concede from individual errors, rarely is there an issue tactically. He has some fine tools at his disposal granted, but then so does Agnew. 

Good point and often overlooked by many of us 

You implied he deserves credit ..Terry is the difference not Calderwood... We deteriated  after his appointment especially from a defensive point of view... 

your right though it's not what you said but it's my response to what you said if that's ok ? Hence not directly quoting you ! But yeah I forgot this a forum where you have too toe the party line 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

You implied he deserves credit ..Terry is the difference not Calderwood... We deteriated  after his appointment especially from a defensive point of view... 

your right though it's not what you said but it's my response to what you said if that's ok ? Hence not directly quoting you ! But yeah I forgot this a forum where you have too toe the party line 

Something has proper triggered you and I can't figure out if it's me or Colin Calderwood. 

5 minutes ago, Dick said:

I’m guessing it’s the ‘Randy out’ protests, he has a Randy Lerner thing and is anti Xia. He probably hates the fact you put so much effort in to removing Lerner.

So what you're saying is that *really* you should all be thanking me for our turnaround in form rather than Bruce, Agnew, Terry etc etc?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For what it's worth I don't think there's a 'party line' re Colin Calderwood. If there is it is well hidden as this was the first post in the thread in almost 6 months.

Yeah, exactly. It’s true we did start playing worse after CC arrived, but correlation doesn’t equal causation. It could have been “new manager bounce” effect coming to an end. It could have been the initial effect of the boost to confidence wearing off. It could have been that until recently we haven’t had an attacking coach (Agnew) and so teams scouted is, saw the ponderous and disorganised attacking and midfield play and worked us out. No one knows. It’s not necessarily right that Calderwood made us worse, though it looked that way. Maybe he took time to settle, or the players took time to get used to yet more changes in staff. My main gripe with Bruce has been about coaching ,so I understand the thought that Calderwood maybe was to blame, and probably shared it to an extent, but perhaps the reality was that they were lacking an attacking coach, the two former centre halves, and that having at last rectified that, they can get on with their areas and Agnew has filled the gap. I dunno and don’t really care, tbh. It’s the past. At the end of this season we’ll see where we end up and no doubt have a view based on a full pre season and season of Bruce and his team.

• Like 1

Terry, Chester, Hutton, Elmo and Taylor are all experienced PL players. 

I'm not suggesting he deserves no credit, but he isn't making watches from a scrap heap. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Terry, Chester, Hutton, Elmo and Taylor are all experienced PL players. 

I'm not suggesting he deserves no credit, but he isn't making watches from a scrap heap. 

That certainly wasn't my suggestion. I was careful to point out that the ingredients are there, just as they are for Agnew. 

• Like 2

When Calderwood came in last year we became quite boring and solid but we lost an attacking spark. Agnew seems to have ignited that but we haven’t lost our solidity. Hopefully we can keep getting the balance right. We had one of the best defences last season Aswell now hopefully aganew can get us being one of the best attacking sides. 

Perhaps Agnew coming in to work on Attacking has taken pressure off Calderwood and give him the time to work on Defense.

Perhaps Agnew and Calderwood dovetail nicely and work well together.

Remember under Little he had Gregory and Evans.  When Gregory Left we started to tail off and no I do like Gregory but I dont think he was the power behind that group.  Just Three Guys who came together well and did specific roles

• Like 2

Â