Colin Calderwood

Sam3773

51 minutes ago, dubliner said:

To be fair to Steve Clarke he was number 2 to a very poor manager.

As Bruce's number 2 it would be a completely different story.

Agreed, although as fans we'll never really know who is a good number two and who's a bad one, apart from the odd ITK whispers of course.

• Like 1

Meh, I've come to the conclusion that assistant managers have such little influence. Whether it's Clark, Wilkins, Culverhouse, Keane or Calderwood they are only as good as the manager they are working for. Di Matteo had all the staff in the world and failed miserably, Bruce has achieved more without even having an assistant manager.

Think assistant managers are a bit overstated tbh... 

• Like 3

I don't think a good assistant/back room staff can make up for the deficiencies of a poor manager. I think you get a good back room staff though working with a good manager and they can certainly make a positive difference. Looking over the last 20 years and I got the impression the back room staff made a positive difference under Little who had Gregory and Evans and Mon who had Robertson and Walford.

I like the look of our back room staff now.  Clemence and Walsh have worked with Bruce previously and Calderwood looks like a good fit with the rest of them. All have proven pedigree of working at clubs who have been successful in this division and will know what it takes to get out of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Meh, I've come to the conclusion that assistant managers have such little influence. Whether it's Clark, Wilkins, Culverhouse, Keane or Calderwood they are only as good as the manager they are working for. Di Matteo had all the staff in the world and failed miserably, Bruce has achieved more without even having an assistant manager.

Think assistant managers are a bit overstated tbh... 

I don't, I think they are hugely important and I think that is true in most instances even though the role itself varies from club to club.

Different managers use their assistant managers in different ways but they are much more than just the managers mate.

In some instances they are the good or bad cop to the manager and therefore play an important buffer role. In others they are much more hands on and effectively are the manager when it comes to training.

A lot of very high profile managers have very little to do with day to day training and depend up their assistants as Fergie did with that Portuguese guys who's name I can't spell and that Dutch guy... you know... not Rene Meulensteen the other one... yeah Steve McLaren! 

United's performance levels dipped following their departures and he later relied heavily upon Phelan.

It is clear from the interview posted above that Calderwood is going to take a very hands on approach on training so I think his role is very important.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't, I think they are hugely important and I think that is true in most instances even though the role itself varies from club to club.

Different managers use their assistant managers in different ways but they are much more than just the managers mate.

In some instances they are the good or bad cop to the manager and therefore play an important buffer role. In others they are much more hands on and effectively are the manager when it comes to training.

A lot of very high profile managers have very little to do with day to day training and depend up their assistants as Fergie did with that Portuguese guys who's name I can't spell and that Dutch guy... you know... not Rene Meulensteen the other one... yeah Steve McLaren! 

United's performance levels dipped following their departures and he later relied heavily upon Phelan.

It is clear from the interview posted above that Calderwood is going to take a very hands on approach on training so I think his role is very important.

To support what you say....I seem to remember Ron Atkinson having Andy Gray as his assistant during his first 18 months when we were flying, then Andy left for Sky and Rons subsequent 18 months was not so good.

They are a sounding board for the Manager too.

52 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think a good assistant/back room staff can make up for the deficiencies of a poor manager. I think you get a good back room staff though working with a good manager and they can certainly make a positive difference. Looking over the last 20 years and I got the impression the back room staff made a positive difference under Little who had Gregory and Evans and Mon who had Robertson and Walford.

I like the look of our back room staff now.  Clemence and Walsh have worked with Bruce previously and Calderwood looks like a good fit with the rest of them. All have proven pedigree of working at clubs who have been successful in this division and will know what it takes to get out of it.

Tony Barton was testimony to everything you say there Mark.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2016 at 15:49, Demitri_C said:

Welcome home Calders!!

Damn.  Until you said that and I looked up why,  I could have put him in the players you had forgotten about thread but now he doesn't qualify anymore. 

Edited by sidcow

On 18/11/2016 at 17:17, bannedfromHandV said:

Grindr?

In 1999? Don't be daft,  it would have been the old fashioned way of a phone number on the wall of a public toilet. Google it kidz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â