Top Gear

Jez

I typically skip the star part but I did watch it when Hiddelston and Aaron Paul did their laps. I mostly don't care for the celebrities unless I actually like them.

I thought the cycling safety videos were funny. Also that porsche at the end. wow that was beautiful

Not a Porsche fan by any means (old school though maybe), but that car was pretty impressive. Some of the tech in it and the McLaren is mindblowing. Less emissions than a Prius with that sort of performance? Wow, things are looking up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Burma special ...

Very meh , don't think I even laughed once....

But stunning sceanary

Knowing downtown Rangoon I could see where they had basically driven up and down the same stretch of road for the early segment

It was a really flabby piece of TV and was in drastic need of editing.

The first episode was by far the worst and all that cause-mayhem-and-apologise stuff went on too long.

There were one or two decent jokes and the best ones weren't forced.

It was one of those TV programmes which could have been far more successful as a two-parter; the second being the 'making of' segment, where we find out how the support vehicle fixed May's transmission and who actually built the bridge. But maybe that would have exposed how much co-operation they got from the Burmese government and how important it was to them.

Beneath it all, the reality is that that was Top Gear playing its part in rehabilitating Burma in the public's mind, as a reward for making the reforms and improvements in human rights, over the last few years.

Jeremy Clarkson, international trade ambassador and PR man for formerly troubled nations.

I didn't even watch it.  I like the regular show but the specials are so formulaic that if you've seen one you've seen them all.  The short film about their trip through Crimea earlier in the series is the length those films should be, not two hours. 

• 9 months later...

They didn't really do anything, long drive through pretty scenery, shit roads that ruined the cars, bit of snow, rinse and repeat, didn't need 2 hours

They could however have done an hour out of the last ten minutes, would also liked to have known where those 3 were during that chase, no doubt flown out of trouble

I still think they knew that the number plate was controversial before they went, especially given they were heading go a town where the British were not welcome. They planned for some 'incident' to make great TV but not on the scale they got.

In the introduction JC mentioned they were made aware of the plate on the second day and had a plan for it before they arrived yet they never made any reference to it at all...

I still think they knew that the number plate was controversial before they went, especially given they were heading go a town where the British were not welcome. They planned for some 'incident' to make great TV but not on the scale they got.

In the introduction JC mentioned they were made aware of the plate on the second day and had a plan for it before they arrived yet they never made any reference to it at all...

I believe the plan was to swap the number plates for fake ones denoting BE11 END for the Porsche. I can't find the article, but those plates were found in the abandoned 928.

Well the last 10 minutes was fairly interesting, but up to then it was a pretty tired and formulaic effort.

Time for a revamp methinks. They should knock these specials on the head if this is the best they can come up with.

Maybe it needs to become a car programme again rather than just "entertainment".

I believe the plan was to swap the number plates for fake ones denoting BE11 END for the Porsche. I can't find the article, but those plates were found in the abandoned 928.
Yes, I saw that, question is, when did they get those plates? In the UK before they left or after the first couple of days in Argentina when they realised there might be some offence caused...?

Just watched the whole special. Despite the majority of it was driving, I enjoyed it probably because this was the first top gear I have seen in months. The scenery was beautiful though. I really loved the night sky shots.

The end was so silly. Why is a tv program subject to that kind of attack? Despite the moronic joke of a plate, top gear was not there to cause trouble or cause controversy. Throwing large rocks at those cars was very dangerous and the crew must have been terrified. I thought top gear were making a bigger deal out of the mobs and attacks, but it genuinely was an attack. 

I also think clarkson, hammond, and may were in the cars. Obviously the cameras were not going to film them while driving. They likely were crouched in separate cars between lots of producers to remain hidden. 

• Like 1

In general, the whole top gear format has gone flat because they've gone from filming 3 blokes driving across country x in 3 shit cars and generally ad libbing it to filming 3 blokes reading off a script months in advance in 3 shit cars. Its turned into a parody of what it used to be, its a big sad now really.

The Patagonia special would have been as disappointing as the india & Burma specials were it not for the controversy caused by the fiasco over the Falklands.

On the argentina episode itself, I dont believe they (and by they I mean the crew/ production team, writers & not just Clarkson who has been blamed) set off with a number plate that they knew/thought would create a laugh for the viewers and create a stir for the locals.

The best thing for top gear to do now is to cut the productivity, just do 8 or so shows a year & go back to what it was 8 years ago.

I still quite like top gear. It's no longer just a car show. It's more of a comedy show with cars now, but it is still enjoyable. Series have to change as the times change. If they stuck to the same material for years, it likely would be off the air. I like watching them do their trips even if some of the situations are obviously scripted. 

I kind of wish they would just do away with the stars in the reasonably priced car part. Even when it's someone I like, it still bores me. I typically just skip that part of the show.