Top Gear

Jez

It's no longer just a car show. It's more of a comedy show with cars now,

Isn't a comedy show supposed to be funny? I can't remember finding anything in top gear funny for a long long time. It's one of those shows that could be good but has been ruined by becoming so popular. Because the BBC make so much money from it they have to have big budget specials, stars in reasonably priced cars etc. that are just terrible. It's a cash cow though so don't expect it to change back into a decent show about cars any time soon.

Just finished watching it

As a travel show it was quite interesting and given me a few tips for my next adventure

The constant reference to "diplomacy" all the way through makes me highly suspicious that the mob was rented in order to turn a relatively dull show until something more exiting

Also after travelling 160 miles to Butch cassidys hotel , why after heading into Chile and driving 3 or 4 days South when they got to the locked gate where May fell off the horse , was the hotel clearly marked on the map as being South of where they were ?

The slope reference was quite good and the beaver hats brought a genuine laugh and all in all it was a decent enough effort ... I doubt they will ever top Botswana though so maybe time to call time on the specials

• Like 1

The clues are there all the way through

Frequent references to

Belgrano port

Diplomacy

Even the butch Cassidy references build up nicely to them being sieged in the hotel

I don't think they planned for it to get as out as hand as it did ,but It does all point to it being pre-planned

I'm sure they had someone create an account on the forums that Argentine nationalists use to stir up a reaction. Clarkson said they got a whiff of the number plate on the internet, I'm willing to guess it was fed to the locals by someone involved with the show.  I agree that it probably got more out of hand than they intended, but they definitely intended something.  It's not dissimilar to when they got chased out of Dixie for painting inflammatory slogans on their cars. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i watched it last night because i've been to st petersburg, shame they didnt really show more of the city, it wasnt even that russian either, they could have filmed that anywhere, i can tell you from what i saw the roads there are far crazier than a few cars pulling out on a bike, that u-turn that may did, that happens everywhere, without any indication that they're going to do it

i think if they are going to do these races they have to use the setting to keep them interesting

At a guess st Petersburg was picked because of the ability to use the hovercraft and probably because they we're expect some locals to cut up the bike and probably the twizzy, like I said the craziest thing there I saw was the u turns, they speed up to do them and didn't tend to indicate

Was a shame to use a recycled idea. It was entertaining, but nothing really new and I agree with villa4europe - they could have used the setting a lot better.

Isn't everything they do a recycled idea though? Race across Africa? Done it 2/3 times now? Race across Europe? Done a dozen times

I liked the st Petersburg segment because it didn't feel scripted fwiw

Just got around to watching the St Petersburg episode ... I actually saw a man shagging a hole in the wall on that beach that Clarkson crashed into ... One of many strange things I saw in Russia that nobody else seems to be bat an eyelid at

Anyway back to the show ... I quite enjoyed it , apart from the star who as least i now know who he is ...

Still one of the few shows on TV worth watching even if it has got a little repetitive