The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

This is not an "I told you so" post, but...

Before the Newcastle game there were well respected posters on VT stating the game was "must win". I and others dismissed this and I think the fact that we're six points off the playoffs after two wins all season proves that. 

This league is completely bonkers. Newcastle and / or Norwich may well run away with it, but if that doesn't happen, there is absolutely no reason why we can't put a decent run together and put pressure on and aim at the very least for a playoff berth.

"Marathon not a sprint" surmises this league perfectly.

• Like 2

Agree with previous posts that it is quite incredible that the Play-Off positions are not that far away from us now - just 6 points. 

I'd be happy with a gradual improvement in form. I'm not expecting us to suddenly win 10 games on the bounce but if we can win 3 or 4 in the next 10 and pick up a few draws we will be within touching distance still. My thinking is that after such a barren run of something like 4 wins in 56 prior to yesterday, it will take a little bit of time to up to the form required to reach the Play-Offs. For now, it's all about being around, or just above,  mid-table in January - anything else is a bonus in my eyes. 

Relatively speaking, our next 4 games are not kind.  In fact, if you look at their home and away league positions rather than their overall, we have on average the hardest next 4 fixtures of anyone in the league.  Not that it makes a difference to me, as I believe on our day we're a match for anyone.

Fulham 2nd in away table.
Noses 5th in home table (excluding the not-insignificant derby factor).
Blackburn 21st in away table.
Brighton top of home table.
Averaging 7.25.  Next hardest are Preston with 8.00

32 minutes ago, BOF said:

Relatively speaking, our next 4 games are not kind.  In fact, if you look at their home and away league positions rather than their overall, we have on average the hardest next 4 fixtures of anyone in the league.  Not that it makes a difference to me, as I believe on our day we're a match for anyone.

Villa - Top of the ugly manager table.  nuff said.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

We inflicted Reading to their first home defeat, bring the rest on. If we can win against Fulham I think we are back. These teams wont want to play an in form Villa

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We inflicted Reading to their first home defeat, bring the rest on. If we can win against Fulham I think we are back. These teams wont want to play an in form Villa

Yep, I mention that in my last sentence ;)

5 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

My spider senses are tingling. I am convinced we are going to make the play-offs.  When can bring on subs like Ayew, Amavi and McCormack why the hell not.

I believe you're right Peter. This is the beginning of our turn around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

From what I've been told about the championship,  momentum is incredibly important when it comes to the playoffs - we need to make sure that if we're there by the end of the season we're in a decent vein of form too.

You're probably right mate, I'd be interested to see the position teams finished in conjunction with who actually got promoted, I wouldn't be in the slight bit surprised if it was mostly teams that finished 5th and 6th, ergo teams that have had to fight and find form in the closing few games of the season. I'll leave that to the nerds though! 

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

You're probably right mate, I'd be interested to see the position teams finished in conjunction with who actually got promoted, I wouldn't be in the slight bit surprised if it was mostly teams that finished 5th and 6th, ergo teams that have had to fight and find form in the closing few games of the season. I'll leave that to the nerds though! 

My friend told me that statistically the team who finishes 6th is the most commonly promoted - but I haven't fact checked that!

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

My friend told me that statistically the team who finishes 6th is the most commonly promoted - but I haven't fact checked that!

I know Bruce did it with SHA (6th), they were miles from the play offs at Christmas as well, another good omen?