The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is a good point, to be fair. It must be right around 12 months that I was having an argument on here with several posters who were sincerely arguing that we would fall below Portsmouth. 

Not that I blame them, really. It was hard to see an end to the awfulness last year. It's mostly stopped now. We're doing better in basically every department. 

Especially since we were still a Randy Lerner club back then.

Still think we might have fallen right through the Championship under him.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Especially since we were still a Randy Lerner club back then.

Still think we might have fallen right through the Championship under him.

Good job, he was bought out by a legit Chinese businessman who has no previous criminal convictions, I'm speculating here of course ;)

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Good job, he was bought out by a legit Chinese businessman who has no previous criminal convictions, I'm speculating here of course ;)

Knowing our luck we will soon find out he was in the Philippines with Duterte taking part in extrajudicial killings!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

12months ago many including myself were saying " we need to go on a run, pick up points, gain confindence"

It never happened.

This season feels different in that although the same senario is required (for promotion) it could happen.

However, the longer it doesnt click and we go on a roll, the less likely it will happen.

There has to be a turning point, even if its a slow one. But 3 losses in the space of 4 games will cost that what we gained before hand.

That cannot be the trend (6pts gained over 10 games - 6 pts lost over 4)

I'm pleasantly surprised at the SB pts tally so far, we have to hold out and keep something going till Jan. But then something has to happen.

1 a solid defence - AH replaced + back up for GK & CB

2 a game dominating midfield - AW & GG replaced + Back up for MJ

3 Attack - Someone to link the MF to our forward line - Either Grealish/McC does it and a LW &/or CF is brought in

or

a playmaker who has the key to open the door for any 2/3 of Grealish/McC/Adomah/Ayew/Kodjia (I'll add Gestede if used correctly or an upgrade on Gestede)

Otherwise Tony will be sacking Bruce and appointing Rowett as soon as the playoffs are no longer reachable

Edited by Grasshopper

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

12months ago many including myself were saying " we need to go on a run, pick up points, gain confindence"

It never happened.

This season feels different in that although the same senario is required (for promotion) it could happen.

However, the longer it doesnt click and we go on a roll, the less likely it wont happen.

There has to be a turning point, even if its a slow one. But 3 losses in the space of 4 games will cost that what we gained before hand.

That cannot be the trend (6pts gained over 10 games - 6 pts lost over 4)

I'm pleasantly surprised at the SB pts tally so far, we have to hold out and keep something going till Jan. But then something has to happen.

1 a solid defence - AH replaced + back up for GK & CB

2 a game dominating midfield - AW & GG replaced + Back up for MJ

3 Attack - Someone to link the MF to our forward line - Either Grealish/McC does it and a LW &/or CF is brought in

or

a playmaker who has the key to open the door for any 2/3 of Grealish/McC/Adomah/Ayew/Kodjia (I'll add Gestede if used correctly or an upgrade on Gestede)

Otherwise Tony will be sacking Bruce and appointing Rowett.

I don't think that much will be done in Jan......I could be wrong, it did happen once.:)

......oh! but then I found out I was right, after:)

We can average 2 points a game (since Bruce started) whilst starting games with arguably sub championship quality players such as westwood, hutton, gabby, gardener - swap those peckers out for championship/prem quality and we will fly up this table. 

I've been saying for weeks that we have had tough away games and we weren't doing too badly. A few people mentioned Derby going on such a good run but our fixtures were a lot harder. The 2nd half of the season our away games are more winnable but that means our home games are the tougher ones. Our record is good but we need to continue it. Leeds will be a tough test but we need to win our next 3 for me. If we do that I think we'll be in the playoffs or at worst a win away. Once we've closed the gap it'll make our tough home games easier because at present we need wins to get in there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

It seems a lot of the teams above us play each other over Xmas. If we can win or next 3 we will be set for a cracking 2017. 

Said it in the Burton thread, but beat them and we have a great chance of moving well up the table.  Most of those immediately above us have tough fixtures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Just keep picking up 2 points a game and we should be good.

Agreed. Currently 6th in the form table over the last 10 games.

Our issue isn't our current form its the weight of the start of the season around our necks.

I still think we can close the gap, its just going to take games and a continuation of our current form and hopefully some improvement.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Looking at the next round of fixtures we've a great opportunity to climb a few places if we can beat Burton.

3 wins will put us right amongst it. We only play Leeds but most above us play each other.