The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

Veretout is starting every game in France...not a chance he'd want to come back and play in the championship.

Just sign an energetic CM alongside Jedinak in January, it's not hard. Disappointed Tshibola has fallen so much of favour, he still has something to offer but his attitude must be dodgy.

• Like 1

I've avoided VT until now after yesterday's result. Now I see why. 

We lost 1 game. The teams that occupy 3-6 currently aren't anything special and will drop plenty of points. The way Bruce has us getting results, we will be in top 6 come the end of the season, and most likely by January. 

Keep the faith. We don't need the fan base turning after 1 result. Hopefully the result will be a boot up the arse that they're not going to stroll each game. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I've avoided VT until now after yesterday's result. Now I see why. 

We lost 1 game. The teams that occupy 3-6 currently aren't anything special and will drop plenty of points. The way Bruce has us getting results, we will be in top 6 come the end of the season, and most likely by January. 

Keep the faith. We don't need the fan base turning after 1 result. Hopefully the result will be a boot up the arse that they're not going to stroll each game. 

I don't think anyone is not keeping the faith.....just discussing why we think we lost.

as you say Steve Bruce is only a "wet day" in the job and affected a remarkable turn around....so no one is moaning, just debating.

as you can see there are a few conflicting views.....but that's what it's all about.

everyone has their own view on the best Line up and its fascinating.

My understanding is SB is strengthening the midfield in Jan.....so we shall just have to see how that affects the whole thing.

UTV

21 hours ago, Richard said:

Not sure how it can be when it is an opinion I have held since the season started , over reaction to what ? 

Fair enough if you have - just seemed like an overreaction to the loss. Obviously I didn't check your posting history before posting.

@Richard

respect (...and all that)

as a fact its 50/50 

either we get promoted or not

to think we'll get promoted may be as right as it is wrong, & vice versa.

However, you must admit that as results have shown how inconsistant thus league is, every team within touching distance of 6th has a chance.

We are only a few "results" over a 6/8 game period away from being 1 result away from 6th and its not even March.

I will go out on a limb here, because I think over the xmas/NY conjested fixtures, the FAcup 3rd/4th rounds and wash/snowed-out games till the end of February, many of the results will be unpredictable.

I think that from 24 teams, around 18 will be in about the same position as now, However from the other 6 teams, 4/2 3/3 or 2/4 will climb or drop 4-6 places in the table.

If we are one of those teams more consistant over that 10-12 game period, we may just find ourselves between 6th-8th in the table, (1 or 2 points off at worst)

Give me 8th 3pts from 6th come 4th March (my Birthday) and I'll be more than happy.

P.S

The slower we creep up the table I think the better.

to leap up to 6th then yo-yo between 6th-8th till the end of the season will not breed confidence for the playoffs.

To gradually have our target slowly grow nearer will be motivation enough to "keep it going" till we get there.

Personal note. I was 1 down after the first hole in our club championship final. by the 12th I was 4down. I clawed back 1 then another and by the18th tee my opponent already looked beaten whilst still 1 up. all square after 18 holes, guess who won the playoff. not because I played anywhere near good enough to win, the guy just lost  belief while I just kept on going. (genuinely a better golfer than I - and still is)

• Like 2

We're definitely in with a shout of making the play-offs but my concern is the AFCON. Will we lose Kodjia, Ayew and Adomah? If so, probably our three best attacking talents will be missing. What will the front three be then - Gabby - Gestede - Grealish? Maybe McCormack instead of Gestede? That's what worries me. If we can get through that spell without any harm being done, the play-offs will be well within our reach IMO.

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

We're definitely in with a shout of making the play-offs but my concern is the AFCON. Will we lose Kodjia, Ayew and Adomah? If so, probably our three best attacking talents will be missing. What will the front three be then - Gabby - Gestede - Grealish? Maybe McCormack instead of Gestede? That's what worries me. If we can get through that spell without any harm being done, the play-offs will be well within our reach IMO.

We will be ok. Most teams in the Championship would bite your arm off for McCormack, Grealish and Gestede.

Based on league position our next 4 games are the 2nd easiest run in the league, averaging 16.5 (Fulham easiest averaging 17.25).

Based on current form (last 6 games) our next 4 games are the easiest run in the league, averaging 18.5.

*rubs hands expectantly*

Let's make hay!

• Like 4

6 points off the playoffs is nothing. I'm sure some fans go pessimistic just to try to say I told you so later on. We have played virtually all the teams we are competing with away from home. We will be stronger after January. We will be closer by New Year and as long as we keep results going through Jan when we lose a couple of players we will be in a great place to crack on. I'd have taken being 6 behind with 10 to play instead we've halved the gap in 7 games! On current form we make the playoffs so why be so negative after a defeat against the infirm team away from home? 

• Like 1

I expect those going to the AFCON will leave a few days before the tournament starts to meet up with the squad and possibly play a friendly or 2?

For the Euros and World Cup it's almost a month of preparations, sure it's nothing like that for the AFCON.

But anyone who actually know when we can expect our players to leave?

We're still very much in the mix, as are the teams around us. If we can get ourselves within a point or two with two months to go and hit some good form we can do it. Only takes a team above us to lose two while we win two and 6 points have been gained. That goes for the teams around us though too. 

I'm still very positive about our chances, it's easier when we're winning games. If we lose against Wigan I'll be slightly less positive, but still hopeful. It's hard not to get excited when we win and dream of promotion, just as it's also hard not get down when we lose. I get that. As long as there's still points to play for and we can mathematically do it, I will keep the faith. 

I have to say though, it's a lot more exciting down here in the championship. Don't want to stay here but it is good fun.