January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

4 hours ago, av1 said:

I know he is highly rated Dave, but why don't you think we could sign the likes of Will Hughes?

He has been highly rated for a number of years now yet no PL league team has taken the gamble. 

Surely we are a step up from Derby?

Theoretically we are a step up from Derby, but for the time being they are four points ahead of us, on a roll and with a more settled squad. I don't know if they need the money, likely not enough to completely derail their hopes of finishing in the playoff spots, and I doubt very much whether Hughes would make the backwards step in the hope it turns into a forward one.

It would be a rare and expensive set of circumstances to bring him here. I doubt it's plausibility. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

GK

RB

CB

DM

2x CM 

LW

Playmaker

Goal machine

We're not getting 9 players in January, neither should we. 3 or 4 max. 

A striker certainly isn't necessary. We don't need to rebuild the entire squad, again. We don't even need to complete the rebuild we're in the middle of. We just need to get promoted, the real money can be spent when we're back in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Barry was Everton captain yesterday. I have no idea why people keep mentioning him as an option. 

I believe they are interested in schneiderlin - so I was wondering if this could possibly make Barry surplus to requirements ?

33 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I believe they are interested in schneiderlin - so I was wondering if this could possibly make Barry surplus to requirements ?

Barry had just signed a contract extension,  he's going nowhere. 

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Love to see the fa henchmen frantically searching the rules as we limber him up!

Like to see the ref try and award hand ball against him as Well!  Though some of the jokers we have had this season would probably find a way. 

• Like 2

Hourihane is a must. Not only he adds goals and set assists. He works hard...Is another leader.. and his set pieces are awesome. Ours are not.

Edited by KSV

Barry and Jedinak would again be the slowest CM pairing in the league.

I mentioned Will Hughes yesterday but I agree he's extremely unlikely to end up at Villa. A player in his mould would be great though, along with another midfielder capable of passing a football more than 5 yards. Huddlestone would do the job, but I think we could attract better, younger players than him.

Loaning Jenkinson as a right back would be good for us, in fact a couple of loan deals would be great for the other positions we could do with filling (after CM's). The less contracts we dish out now whilst we are a Championship standard team the less players we will need to move on when they are found out at Premiership level (i.e. Jedinak, Elphick)

Promotion is a must though and the only target this season, and so whatever Bruce & Xia go with I have faith in!

This is the one of the first January window's I am genuinely excited by!

37 minutes ago, Nigel said:

At least it fecks Derby up!

Absolutely. Losing their best midfielder is going to really rock them? I mean could you imagine if we lost..er...forget it. 

5 minutes ago, KSV said:

Be interesting to see who Newcastle buy as they are losing a few to the African cup. They could easily slip a few more times.

I think Newcastles league postion will massively aid their recruitment efforts. Whoever they go for will be 95% sure they will be playing in the PL next season. Given what happened last season I don't think even Brighton will have that same pull, even though they could well still be top when the window opens. 

12 minutes ago, KSV said:

Be interesting to see who Newcastle buy as they are losing a few to the African cup. They could easily slip a few more times.

Callum Wilson rumored, but the Loftus-Cheek loan seem to be off as Chelsea wan't to keep him.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In that case we should bid for him anyway, since we would allegedley now know what fee they will accept. match it and let the player decide. 

Sadly I don't think it would take long to mull over that decision. 

1 minute ago, KSV said:

Wonder if Delph is going to Newcastle. I don't care about the past. We could do with him in midfield. 

If he's willing to drop down a division of love it. He'd be our best player easily. 

I'd be surprised if no premier league teams were interested. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

If he's willing to drop down a division of love it. He'd be our best player easily. 

I'd be surprised if no premier league teams were interested. 

The talk was a fee with Newcastle was agreed. He's probably too scared to rejoin anyway. Ah well I hope we sign a bloody good midfielder or two.