January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I simply do not believe the statement "not much money to spend in Jan"

Why would DrT

1) sanction a spend of 50+mill with the intention of promotion

2) appoint RDM, sack him as results are not "promotion material"

3) appoint SB - a proven promoteur

4) then not use the next oppertunity to strengthen at a time when his newly appointed manager has more than turned the results in our favour 

Agreed. After backing RDM so heavily, there is no way the Dr won't back someone who is performing so admirably. January is a notoriously difficult time to try and recruit, so circumstance might dictate that we don't spend a huge amount, but i don't think it will because Bruce is given a limited budget. 

Two midfielders, a RB and a forward on loan is the bare minimum Villa should be bringing to the club in January.

If Gestede and Ayew are sold then the revenue from those sales should cover most of the above.

Villa should not even think about selling Amavi until the end of the season whereby if promotion is won then Amavi will probably want to stay anyway.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

Rhodes has been told by Boro manager Aitor Karanka that he will be allowed to move on, just 12 months after he signed from Blackburn Rovers for £11 million, but the Teessiders want to recoup what they paid for the Scotland international and insist they will only sell players if they have a suitable replacement lined up.

With David Nugent also keen to quit the Riverside Stadium in the next window after losing his place in the first team, Karanka is wary of losing two centre-forwards without another one coming in. Rhodes has had a difficult time in the North East and has never really fitted into the system played by Karanka.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/29/aston-villa-keen-sign-jordan-rhodes-middlesbrough-not-11-million/

I forgot all about Nugent, I think I would rather have him tbh for a couple of million and invest heavily in players than can create goals.

I think Nugent is a very intelligent player at this level and a willing runner.

1 minute ago, sne said:

If we pay the reported £12m for Rhodes I just might give up on football.

I think you are being facetious but I might be wrong, he scored goals at any level, get hiim. He's a natural finisher and his all round game isn't bad either

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are being facetious but I might be wrong, he scored goals at any level, get hiim. He's a natural finisher and his all round game isn't bad either

except Premier League and international football

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Apart from Premier League.

I wouldn't object to Rhodes on loan but he's a far too limited a player to blow £12m on. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

By "at any level" you mean Championship and below?

Because he has 0 goals in the PL although he did score for Scotland almost 5 years ago.

I don't mind him on loan, but paying £12 m for him would be a joke.

Us paying £24 m for a strike duo that can't even get into the Scotland team for the most part would be funny, if I wasn't a Villa fan.

Not saying McCormack & Rhodes won't be an OK partnership at this level.

But £24 m? Jebus!

Edited by sne

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

except Premier League and international football

He's goal record is 1 in 3 in the premier league, 6 goals in 18 games and 3 in 13 appearances for Scotland, he's a goalscorer. If we have the money available, get him in

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He's goal record is 1 in 3 in the premier league, 6 goals in 18 games and 3 in 13 appearances for Scotland, he's a goalscorer. If we have the money available, get him in

He's made 6 Premier League appearances scoring 0 goals....

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

no its not he has zero goals this season in the league his only at this level. 2 of his international goals are against Luxembourg and all 3 are in friendlies

On 12/28/2016 at 16:20, rodders0223 said:

Bit of everything, excels at nothing ..IMO                (on Matty James)

So, what we're saying that he's way better than any of our midfielders?