January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

8 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Big coup for the villa 2 Barnsley players. Did the Dr mean bigger than Barcelona in 5 years or Barnsley? 

You forgot the :trollface:

if these players improve our team (and I'm hopeful they will) then it doesn't matter where they came from does it? 

We could've turned our noses up to Crewe, watford and Brighton instead of signing platt, young and Barry.... 

We don't buy particularly well off the 'big clubs' do we? Ireland, traore, illori, djemba djemba etc 

we are where we are due to poor transfer dealings so it's nice to think the club are being a little pragmatic and finding the players that will suit our needs. 

Edited by theboyangel
Bloody autocorrects
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Big coup for the villa 2 Barnsley players. Did the Dr mean bigger than Barcelona in 5 years or Barnsley? 

Is that a dig at our owner? These 2 Barnsley players happen to be far better than what we currently have in our side. We have to take small steps to become a successful club again. We aren't about to go shopping at Bayern Munich or Real Madrid when we are mid table in the Championship.

Also, Barnsley are above us in the league so on current form it actually is a bit of a coup if we can sign their 2 best players.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, av1 said:

Without getting ahead of myself, its not behond the realms of possibility (given their seasons so far) that those 3 could be/become our 3 best players. 

Now consider that we have spent about £100m over the last few windows, i think it show just how bad our recruitment has been over the last few years. 

A lot of ifs in that statement, but you could be bang on.

Our best players could end up being Chester, Lansbury and Hourihane - coupled with Bakers emergence, who'dve imagined it?

Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what level you are at, transfers are met with excitement and disappointment in equal measure, and over the long run it means little, just noise, a distraction, a circus. I remember getting excited about shite like Tony Cascarino and Gary Penrice!

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Is that a dig at our owner? These 2 Barnsley players happen to be far better than what we currently have in our side. We have to take small steps to become a successful club again. We aren't about to go shopping at Bayern Munich or Real Madrid when we are mid table in the Championship.

Also, Barnsley are above us in the league so on current form it actually is a bit of a coup if we can sign their 2 best players.

It was tongue in cheek! I'm glad we're signing players.

i would say though it's a bit early to say these guys are both "far better than we currently have".  25 year old Houriane has had a decent half a season at Barnsley where the pressure is well and truly off.  Let's see what happens at a team that needs promotion by next season, on TV most weeks, playing home games against teams are their big day out.  In addition to a fan base that has been starved of success and can get on players backs.

I reckon we have a few players already that would do well at Barnsley.  In fact we have a players that have won this league before, and scored 66 goals in 3 seasons, and still struggled. 

Hopefully they hey will be great UTV 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

You forgot the :trollface:

if these players improve our team (and I'm hopeful they will) then it doesn't matter where they came from does it? 

We could've turned our noses up to Crewe, watford and Brighton instead of signing platt, young and Barry.... 

We don't buy particularly well off the 'big clubs' do we? Ireland, traore, illori, djemba djemba etc 

we are where we are due to poor transfer dealings so it's nice to think the club are being a little pragmatic and finding the players that will suit our needs. 

spot on

We are learning, slowly......but we are learning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

He was you know.

Well if that's true I do apologise but what a great season that must have been. Ireland had talent no doubt but he also looked liked he couldn't be asssed most of the time.