January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Personally, I think we'd have all been disappointed if our summer purchases were Henri Lansbury and two chaps from Barnsley.  Not so much anymore!

I wasn't suggesting we spend our money on the Barnsley first team, more that we could have probably found more value for money. We spent 12m on McCormack, there had to be better value out there.

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Personally, I think we'd have all been disappointed if our summer purchases were Henri Lansbury and two chaps from Barnsley.  Not so much anymore!

Perhaps, but the reputations of the two Barnsley players have sky rocketed since then, the one is among the most productive all round midfielders in the league and the other has been courted by a lot of top Premier League sides.

It's good that we are starting to look to get genuine value rather than blowing 8 figure sums on Championship players. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Potentially spending less than £6m on Lansbury, Hourihane and Bree. Outstanding work. Imagine if we had been a little more shrewd in the summer!?

Without getting ahead of myself, its not behond the realms of possibility (given their seasons so far) that those 3 could be/become our 3 best players. 

Now consider that we have spent about £100m over the last few windows, i think it show just how bad our recruitment has been over the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Without getting ahead of myself, its not behond the realms of possibility (given their seasons so far) that those 3 could be/become our 3 best players. 

Now consider that we have spent about £100m over the last few windows, i think it show just how bad our recruitment has been over the last few years. 

I think that too. Although I think Bree will possibly take a little longer to settle and might make mistakes (I hope fans give him time). But I feel the same as well. Fingers crossed!

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I think that too. Although I think Bree will possibly take a little longer to settle and might make mistakes (I hope fans give him time). But I feel the same as well. Fingers crossed!

Without sounding like I'm needlessly bashing Hutton, i think the very fact that he isn't Hutton will buy him time to be honest. If he has a good attitude i think the fans will take to him.

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

There has also been a little bit of luck regarding the contract situations of the guys we are linked with / have bought to be fair

4 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

There has also been a little bit of luck regarding the contract situations of the guys we are linked with / have bought to be fair

Yes maybe. Or maybe we are finally being a bit more shrewd with our business, and their contract situation is the very reason we are interested in them?

Edited by av1

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I agree, to be at his best he will need to mature...

I missed that the first time around and for that I am ashamed.

• Like 1

Just now, Barney_avfc said:

In a funny sort of way I'm happy with that, because i got the impression that Hurihane was practically done, and i was worried we could lose out on Bree. So if thats true i think its good to get Bree wrapped up first

I know it's not sustainable long term unless revenue increases, but I'm quite liking that we were one of the most active teams in the transfer market in the Summer and again one of the most active in January.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Bosko Balaban

Charles N'Zogbia

Stephen Ireland

Habib Beye

Emile Heskey

There's just a few that I would say were worse signings, am sure there are many many others during the 100+ years of Villa's existence.

Balance cost half of what McCormack did

not zogbia is a midfielder 

Ireland did not cost 12m

Habib be ye cosy less than 5m

Heskey???? He's key was far better than McCormack :huh:

so this looks like it is happening - which is awesome - but on a serious note, I feel like the names of Hourihane, Lansbury and Bree were all first mentioned on this forum as players that people thought we should sign/ would like to sign - rather than rumours that people had heard of who we were going to sign. And only then the rumours appeared here, then in the media, and then it became fact.

If that makes sense.

I think this forum has more influence than we realise..........:detect:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I wasn't suggesting we spend our money on the Barnsley first team, more that we could have probably found more value for money. We spent 12m on McCormack, there had to be better value out there.

Yeah but we bought McCormack because it was proven he could score goals at this level in a poor Fulham team. 

I think he still could, but just seems he is another player that can't settle in the Midlands. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Hmmm didn't this same source say deal was dead few days ago and he was ranting...

He said that Barnsley had pulled the plug at the last minute. It was speculated elsewhere in the media that Barnsley pulled out of the deal so that they could play for them last Saturday, which seems to make sense.