January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Bamford for 5mill and they are looking 12 mill for a 29 year old who hasn't got a game all season especially when they cant even score.

If we buy Rhodes for more than 6mill then we have lost the plot.

Rhodes is 26, but I take your point. I would say £8m is a fair price for Rhodes.

35 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Bamford for 5mill and they are looking 12 mill for a 29 year old who hasn't got a game all season especially when they cant even score.

If we buy Rhodes for more than 6mill then we have lost the plot.

Isn't the Bamford deal worth up to £10m? Had three failed loan moves in a row (Palace, Norwich and Burnley)

Rhodes is a £7m at most

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am really interested to see what the big delay here is with both deals especially the Barnsley one. Forest are stupid the longer they hold out the less chance they have of replacing him 

Hoped we would get these wrapped up early this week - we need them against Preston 

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I am really interested to see what the big delay here is with both deals especially the Barnsley one. Forest are stupid the longer they hold out the less chance they have of replacing him 

Forest are still on a transfer embargo IIRC? They couldn't sign anyone to replace Lansbury. Given he's not playing the only reason to delay seems to be seeing if they can get any more money for him. 

Barnsley - it might be that they are trying to line up a replacement or otherwise I haven't got a clue! Can we offer them more money and Westwood to push it through?!

And I don't get Rhodes - just doesn't seem to make sense - at least Gestede offered an option (and I am happy we sold) - what will Rhodes offer over and above what we have already got?

Just now, Xela said:

Isn't the Bamford deal worth up to £10m? Had three failed loan moves in a row (Palace, Norwich and Burnley)

Rhodes is a £7m at most

I read 5mill this morning for Bamford, same place i read Rhodes was 29 mind.  I really dont think Rhodes is the answer.

Got to say I'm warming to Rhodes. A natural goalscorer who's good in the air and can hold the ball up well. 

With a more purposeful midfield, in a 4-4-2, he could really be the missing link. I think he'd be a great foil for Kodjia, they could form a good striking partnership. 

If he comes into this current side however, he'll look shit because there is no-one to compliment him. 

If we sign Rhodes, Lansbury and Hourihane for midfield and then hopefully a left winger, this side would start to look very solid. 

Alternatively sign a left back and play the back 4 like a line of centre halves. Tell the new guy and Hutton not to go beyond the half way line. Stick Amavi on the wing. 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

A second striker who can score goals.

Will he though? He's strike rate at Middlesbrough hasn't been wonderful and obviously not playing at the moment. Also weren't Gestede, Ayew, Mcccormack all thought to be able to score lots of goals at this level? Hell, even Gabby was thought to benefit from the step down! Whilst Rhodes may be good for us and it might work out, I don't think he is the answer to the problems and I can see him struggling without the supply and I think the money could be better spent elsewhere rather than on ANOTHER striker. This is one that potentially is costing us double what we sold Gestede for - why would we do that?! 

Only Kodjia has shown he can more or less create on his own and that's the reason why he can score. Sort out the midfield and give the strikers we do have a chance to show what they can do. 

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

The only way this will happen is if the fans turn on him and I can't see that happening as (for the most part) he has us on his side... For now.

I agree at the moment he has fans on his side but, if we fail to bring players in and Brucey keeps saying that it's his job to improve them, if he doesn't and we finish close to where we currently are in the table, whilst playing poor football, the fans will soon start to turn. I have a feeling that Dr Tony would change his tune about him too, if that happened.

If it's a toss up between pairing Gabby and McCormack or Rhodes and McCormack, I know which i'd choose!

However, we have goal scorers in our ranks and we will continue to struggle to score goals until the midfield issues are resolved.

Two better central midfielders will change the way we attack (and defend)

Without changes in the middle, even Messi and Ronaldo would struggle to score in our current set-up.

I like the idea of Rhodes, proven in this league and as we're going to more than likely remain in the league for another season, he'd be good to bring in now and get momentum ahead of next season's league domination!

20 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Will he though? He's strike rate at Middlesbrough hasn't been wonderful and obviously not playing at the moment. Also weren't Gestede, Ayew, Mcccormack all thought to be able to score lots of goals at this level? Hell, even Gabby was thought to benefit from the step down! Whilst Rhodes may be good for us and it might work out, I don't think he is the answer to the problems and I can see him struggling without the supply and I think the money could be better spent elsewhere rather than on ANOTHER striker. This is one that potentially is costing us double what we sold Gestede for - why would we do that?! 

6 in 13 starts for Boro at this level (plus 5 sub appearances) and 83 in 159 for Blackburn at this level

I do agree with the point about supply though. He won't create stuff on his own, he's not that type of striker. 

I would take Rhodes... but only after we have 2 new midfielders and ideally a winger

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

6 in 13 starts for Boro at this level (plus 5 sub appearances) and 83 in 159 for Blackburn at this level

I do agree with the point about supply though. He won't create stuff on his own, he's not that type of striker. 

I would take Rhodes... but only after we have 2 new midfielders and ideally a winger

Why did he only starting 13 matches last season for Boro? Blackburn I give but the same could be (and was) said about Gestede.

Agree with the rest :) 

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

If it's a toss up between pairing Gabby and McCormack or Rhodes and McCormack, I know which i'd choose!

However, we have goal scorers in our ranks and we will continue to struggle to score goals until the midfield issues are resolved.

Two better central midfielders will change the way we attack (and defend)

Without changes in the middle, even Messi and Ronaldo would struggle to score in our current set-up.

I like the idea of Rhodes, proven in this league and as we're going to more than likely remain in the league for another season, he'd be good to bring in now and get momentum ahead of next season's league domination!

That's a front line with zero pace. 

• Like 1