January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

41 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I guess some of us still hold on to the slim possibility of promotion, for that to happen we certainly need to sign players, but the fact is, Jan is a rotten time to do business.

I don't think it's a question of money, though. Teams don't want to let their first choice players go. If they want to leave, the club will need to find a replacement and, likely, hold on to them as long as possible.

As you say - rotten time to do business, but not necessarily only because of paying over the odds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I don't think it's a question of money, though. Teams don't want to let their first choice players go. If they want to leave, the club will need to find a replacement and, likely, hold on to them as long as possible.

As you say - rotten time to do business, but not necessarily only because of paying over the odds. 

Yeah, teams start the season having carefully put together a good balanced mix of players.  if one leaves in January they need time to hunt for the.... oh wait.  I just re-read my first sentence.  I think I'm on to a bit of our problem.

We have the same (ish) problem this  year that we had last year, we have a hugely unbalanced squad because we tried to sign a whole team in 1 transfer window - this also meant it takes months to figure out our best team. 

The reason that buying a ton of players in 1 go doesn't work in reality is because you just have no idea how those players will connect until they are together. If we brought in 1 or 2 midfielders now, we know they'd improve us because we have at least seen and have an idea on our best team and can see our weaknesses, if we declared that they're all crap and went to buy another 11 players we'd be back at square 1 again.

Should be no more than 3 first team players signed per window (supplemented with some youth players) and let the team grow naturally. It's basically what Spurs did after their disaster of buying 234 players with their Bale money. Year to year now their team is basically the same with 1 or 2 added in. Forget massive overhauls, we need progress.

If we can sign 2 midfielders and a winger this window it will make us so much better, maybe not enough to go up, but 2 or 3 good signings next summer and we'll be a proper force in this division, no dramas, no shipping 12 out and bringing 15 in rubbish, a couple out, a couple in and watch the team improve 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well the good news is the Bristol city game is postponed so therefore may only be one game with this crap midfield 

Also Brentford have Chelsea in the cup that weekend so they will be nicely exhausted for when we play them on the Tuesday after our nice break and time for all of our new signings* to bond.

* I know, no need to point out the obvious...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weedman said:

We have the same (ish) problem this  year that we had last year, we have a hugely unbalanced squad because we tried to sign a whole team in 1 transfer window - this also meant it takes months to figure out our best team.

The reason that buying a ton of players in 1 go doesn't work in reality is because you just have no idea how those players will connect until they are together. If we brought in 1 or 2 midfielders now, we know they'd improve us because we have at least seen and have an idea on our best team and can see our weaknesses, if we declared that they're all crap and went to buy another 11 players we'd be back at square 1 again.

Should be no more than 3 first team players signed per window (supplemented with some youth players) and let the team grow naturally. It's basically what Spurs did after their disaster of buying 234 players with their Bale money. Year to year now their team is basically the same with 1 or 2 added in. Forget massive overhauls, we need progress.

If we can sign 2 midfielders and a winger this window it will make us so much better, maybe not enough to go up, but 2 or 3 good signings next summer and we'll be a proper force in this division, no dramas, no shipping 12 out and bringing 15 in rubbish, a couple out, a couple in and watch the team improve 

Normally weedman I'd be liking that for being so pragmatic :)

However we're not in the same situation as Spurs then by a long way. Normally you are right. In our instance there was nothing to transition from.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

How can Middlesborough buy a striker for 6m who they deem good enough, but they sell us a striker they don't want for £12m?

It's completely illogical. 

Probably because of the fee we paid for Gestede and the fee they paid for Rhodes.

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

Meh...

talking of adama.... his brother Hamary Traore is currently tearing up Ligue 1. He is a right back too.

EDIT: in-fact he completely dominated Mo Salah last night playing for Mali

Edited by A38villan
  • Like 1