January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

4 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Why did he only starting 13 matches last season for Boro? Blackburn I give but the same could be (and was) said about Gestede.

Agree with the rest :) 

He started the season at Blackburn scoring 10 in 25 starts. He moved to Boro at the end of the Jan transfer window :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Why did he only starting 13 matches last season for Boro? Blackburn I give but the same could be (and was) said about Gestede.

Because he only joined them on January transfer deadline day.

In a 46 game season, between 2 different clubs, he made 43 appearances last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

That's a front line with zero pace. 

Gabby has pace(ish) - do you prefer him playing?

My point was that Rhodes is a better option than Gabby but no strikers will do anything special within our team until the midfield is sorted.

If we're to stay in the Championship for another season, I think Rhodes in now is a better option to bed him in ahead of next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I don't see why there's a hold up for Lansbury and Hourihane if we want them!  Even if we pay top whack for players with contracts ending, it will still be well below their market value - stop messing about and get it done!!

And if the clubs they are st don't accept bids? Or the clubs won't till they can get replacements? 

Edited by DK82

I don't see why there's a hold up for Lansbury and Hourihane if we want them!  Even if we pay top whack for players with contracts ending, it will still be well below their market value - stop messing about and get it done!!

I don't understand this either.

• Like 1

I'd imagine it's because so do other teams. 

Neither player is in a position where they have to decide right now to join Aston Villa. Both could spend the next couple of weeks listening to offers and waiting for the best deal for them. 

Nothing we can do about it, unless both are motivated by just money and we throw a shit load of it at them. I'm not sure that would be a good idea though. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I don't see why there's a hold up for Lansbury and Hourihane if we want them! 

I don’t think it is that simple is it. I am sure we have offers on the table for a number of players that clubs are considering. Before they have said no you don’t go back and say we will give you another million.

This is the nature of transfer windows and a reason so much business is done late. Clubs hold out in the hope someone else will come in for a player or a club after the player will panic.

What I would say is that if we get to the last couple of days of the transfer window having not already signed a couple of midfielders our need may not be that urgent as by then our season could well be done. At present there is still a slim hope if we can fill the huge holes in the squad we can put a run together that pushes us up toward the play off places.

Edited by markavfc40

Hasn't been mentioned recently that I can see, but I remember it being said that Rhodes was Blackburn's penalty taker which inflated his goalscoring record. 

As an example, the season when it was him and Gestede up front, he scored 21 goals that season. Only 2 from the penalty spot as far as I can see. 

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

Will he though? He's strike rate at Middlesbrough hasn't been wonderful and obviously not playing at the moment. Also weren't Gestede, Ayew, Mcccormack all thought to be able to score lots of goals at this level? Hell, even Gabby was thought to benefit from the step down! Whilst Rhodes may be good for us and it might work out, I don't think he is the answer to the problems and I can see him struggling without the supply and I think the money could be better spent elsewhere rather than on ANOTHER striker. This is one that potentially is costing us double what we sold Gestede for - why would we do that?! 

Only Kodjia has shown he can more or less create on his own and that's the reason why he can score. Sort out the midfield and give the strikers we do have a chance to show what they can do. 

I agree buying another striker on its own won't improve things. However Bruce has already confirmed one link to a midfielder (Lansbury) and Villa have also been linked to another. With both those midfielders signed and a mooted RB on the way service to the forwards should dramatically improve.

Bruce also stated that if he can improve the forward line he will do it. So I guess listening to the manager there is a plan in place to bring both in. If you consider the Gestede money 4m on top of that doesn't sound a lot in today's market for Rhodes who has previously been clinical in front of goal in the Championship.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

If we miss out on the play offs by a point or 2 then we will look back at January as an opportunity missed - we have dropped 6 points in 2 games and maybe with hourihane we could have got a result at wolves - the fact that we are talking less than £2m fee for an available player puzzles me as to why we are dithering about.

spink is saying he's worried xias recent silence may mean he's pulled the plug on spending and Bruce may have to sell to raise cash - hope he's wrong!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we need a striker with pace in all honesty 

We need a striker to put away chances - we've missed many sitters this season that should have been buried - not worried about pace , more worried about his movement and finishing.

• Like 2

Just now, Eastie said:

We need a striker to put away chances - we've missed many sitters this season that should have been buried - not worried about pace , more worried about his movement and finishing.

What we need is a striker who can drop back and play in midfield. 

For the entire match.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Agree 100% with this and anyway Kodjia has pace in abundance when he comes back again.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

For the entire match.

Ayew has been doing that and so has McCormack. Villa need better midfielders around them.

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I agree at the moment he has fans on his side but, if we fail to bring players in and Brucey keeps saying that it's his job to improve them, if he doesn't and we finish close to where we currently are in the table, whilst playing poor football, the fans will soon start to turn. I have a feeling that Dr Tony would change his tune about him too, if that happened.

Oh, for sure, I'm certain Dr. Tony doesn't suffer fools and I'd imagine he's a ruthless bastard!

We have been playing poor football all season in fairness and personally, I have written this season off so anything better than where we currently are and he gets a stay of execution from me, worse and yes, I think he'll be gone.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

For the entire match.

Hourihane and Lansbury would provide enough in midfield - get Rhodes in and create the chances and he will bury them .

would like to see more of green as he could be useful to us - put in a lovely cross into the box at wolves but as usual our strike force had the movement of a sleeping tortoise.

• Like 1