January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Gabby has never been prolific. His best season was 2009/10 when he scored 16, in the seven seasons since he has only ever managed double figures once in 2012/13 scoring 12. In his last 3 Premier League seasons he scored a combined total of 11 goals from 85 appearances. Even more shocking when you consider he's on at least £65K a week.

In short we need a new striker.

Edited by Supervillan78

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're not going to sign a striker for 4 games, we may as well get used to that. 

No. However, as i mentioned earlier.. i think we need a new one for the rest of the season anyway. Too much pressure on Kodjia. Ayew is not a goal scorer and neither is Gabby. McCormack is out of form/not suited to the side. Gestede gone. RHM out of favour now.. We need another striker. January is desperate... but we still need one for the rest of the season. Fact is we are not scoring goals. We have created enough chances to have scored alot more. 

Interest in McCarthy/Cleverley is good but we need a goal threat from midfield.

Today we started with.

Adomah Grealish Bacuna

Gabby

I could have told you (and the commentator did) 'Where are the goals coming from'. IMO.. Gabby Grealish and Bacuna need replacing with quality. Lansbury could come in.. but i think we need Hourihane (even if he does sit deeper in the Tshibola role) will still add more of a goal threat.

At the moment.. we just do not possess it. When Kodjia comes back.. he will do what he does and score them on his own and we make scrape a win or two but it wont be enough to go on a winning run to get us in the play offs. 

• Like 2

We tried to rebuild a disastrously failing football team/squad in one transfer window, letting a number of players leave on loan without really replacing all of them.

We have some decent individuals, but the core of the team is non existent. I don't think this can be repaired in January either, it will take time to rebuild, from scouts, youth systems etc etc.

I have faith that Xia and Bruce will take us in the right direction, but it is going to take time sadly.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're not going to sign a striker for 4 games, we may as well get used to that. 

Anyone arguing that we need a striker till the end of the season too just needs to look at Bruce's comments when Gestede left. He thinks we have too many as it is, even with Gestede gone and we have enough holes in our team without stocking up our expensive strike force any further. 

• Like 2

These are the players I think Bruce rates, which will give an idea about where we need to strengthen.

Goalkeepers: Johnstone, Steer*

Right Back: De Laet*

Centre Back: Baker, Chester, Elphick

Left Back: Amavi, Cissokho

Centre Mid: Jedinak, Tshibola

Wingers: Adomah, Bacuna

Attacking Mid: Grealish

Strikers: Ayew, Kodjia, McCormack

I think ideally we need back up in every position, and I would say Bruce fancies Steer, Elphick, Cissokho, Tshibola, Bacuna and Green as backup players at best ideally. I think Bruce change between 4-3-3 and 4-4-1-1 (4-2-3-1 when attacking). So I've got too much time on my hands and have looked into this all with too much detail.

Starting 4-3-3:

Johnstone
[RB] - Chester - Baker - Amavi
[CM1] - Jedinak - [CM2]
Adomah - Kodjia - [LM]

Back up 4-3-3:

Steer*
De Laet* - Elphick - [CB] - Cissokho
[CM3] - Tshibola - [CM4]
Bacuna - [ST] - Ayew

Starting 4-4-1-1:

Johnstone
[RB] - Chester - Baker - Amavi
Adomah - [CM1] - Jedinak - [LM]
Grealish
Kodjia

Back up 4-4-1-1:

Steer*

De Laet* - Elphick - [CB] - Cissokho
Bacuna - Tshibola - [CM2] - Ayew
McCormack
[ST]

So this would mean that with everyone fit, our strongest sides in either formation both require a first team quality Right Back, Central Midfielder and Left Midfielder, with a second Central Midfielder needed for playing 4-3-3

If we can get players in these positions, along with a back up CB, 2 more CM's and a Striker in the summer after part 3 of the squad clearout, that'll leave us covered in every position with a 24 man squad, plus Green and other academy players to supplement that. 

@Philosopher Steve Round, our technical director is ultimately responsible for laying down the style of football this club will play over the next several years, regardless of any change in manager - he's also got a big say in recommending the next manager, had a big say in picking this one, has a big say in putting together the clubs' staff and will have a major influence in the transfer window. We're already there - the chap needs longer than three months to install that though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skarroki said:

Anyone arguing that we need a striker till the end of the season too just needs to look at Bruce's comments when Gestede left. He thinks we have too many as it is, even with Gestede gone and we have enough holes in our team without stocking up our expensive strike force any further. 

We do have too many. They just arent upto it. He is probably including Kozak and Gabby. Not good enough for this club. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

@Philosopher Steve Round, our technical director is ultimately responsible for laying down the style of football this club will play over the next several years, regardless of any change in manager - he's also got a big say in recommending the next manager, had a big say in picking this one, has a big say in putting together the clubs' staff and will have a major influence in the transfer window. We're already there - the chap needs longer than three months to install that though.

So far i'm not convinced. The highlight on his CV is as Moyes assistant manager. Of course i wait to see how things go.

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nice idea - the problem comes once that structure is in place, and we look for a new manager he has to agree to slot into that structure - the better managers (ie the ones not desperate for a job) will pretty much want to bring there own backroom staff. - in a sense then maintaining the structure becomes more important than getting the best manager we can

Palace seem to be upping their interest in Brady, we can kiss goodbye to him.

clicky

Norwich City have rejected a £10m bid from Crystal Palace for winger Robbie Brady, according to Bleacher Report journalist Dean Jones.

Edited by Nigel

I've not seen Hourihane play but have faith in ppls opinion of him here, are there any actual, real links to him though or are we just suggesting suitable players in that sense? I haven't read or heard anything regarding an offer or any interest in him.

The only concrete offer we appear to have made so far is for Lansbury but that isn't a done deal. Read of links to McCarthy again but that sounds a no goer - again, I would expect there to be Premier League interest if he was available.

I honestly don't mind a few quality loan signings because we are desperately short on quality. Tbh, in MF it feels like almost anyone will do X) !!!

Any news on the Leicester player? James?

Edited by Jas10

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

We don't need another striker, we need a midfield that can create for the strikers we already have.

Buying new strikers every transfer window isn't going to fix the main problem that has been staring us in the face for the past 5 seasons... the midfield.

Kodjia & Benteke have both scored goals for us because they have the ability to create for themselves, but we shouldn't be depending on this.

I don't think Benteke is a player that creates for himself.

Defoe does

sturridge does

suarez did

Costa does

Edited by TRO