Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Bunnski said:

Ye we had chances but we also let Norwich back into the game and need to control games better, twice we let a 2 goal lead slip.

...and chased shadows for long periods when we didn't have the ball and seem to have the same allergic reaction to possession that we've had for a long time now. Great we carried a threat, great we saw something good from Green, Davis, Hourihane, more than great, a totally amazing transformation from totally toothless to looking dangerous when we went forward nearly every time. We have to temper that with the fragility at the back, exaggerated by the fact that we just gave the ball back so often for them to keep and put us under pressure. Zero ability to manage the game because we couldn't manage the ball. 

Its awesome to be able to talk about some positives, and the chances created and goals scored were incredibly positive changes from the norm. We should not ignore the fact that this display good though it was, had a lot of problems in it and that these problems have been problems for a long time. Bruce needs to go on a consistent run and address these problems till he wins me round again. Not one game, not 5, but a proper run of decent football and results. If we are to even consider automatic promotion it's the requirement

• Like 2

12 hours ago, macandally said:

Bruce will not change my mind, Saturday just showed the players are capable if the right manager is brought in.  Bruce is not it!

That sounds a bit selective to me.

The credit goes to the players when we win and the criticism goes to Bruce when we lose......ah sorted.

seems pretty fair that;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The credit goes to the players when we win and the criticism goes to Bruce when we lose......ah sorted.

seems pretty fair that;)

I don't see it as being selective TRO. I can see where macandally is coming from.  I've long held the opinion that we had the right players if they were played in their right positions with the shackles off. I also believe that Bruce has stubbornly tried to bang square pegs into round holes in order to vindicate his method of football. He admitted that the team selection was forced on him on Saturday, in other words Saturday's set up and display wouldn't have happened if his more favoured experienced players had been available. My reaction to the win is simply that while it was a very welcome three points, it was a result gained because Bruce was unable to follow his natural instincts.

If he stays with his change of selection and tactics, I will be surprised but delighted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

seems pretty fair that;)

I don't see it as selective, do you hand on heart believe that Bruce came up with a master plan for Saturday?  He was/is a desperate man and rolled sixes with his last throw of the dice.  Does it mean we will go up, play that way going forward?  I doubt it very much.

Now with a squad containing three right backs and two/three right wingers we are trying to sign another right winger in Snosgrass.  Is this part of a Bruce's master plan again?

As far as I can see, we have the right players for promotion, we just need to act like what we are, a big club in a little division who is going to roll over whoever we face.  Fed  up of Bruce whining about us and bigging up the opposition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

seems pretty fair that;)

But given that Bruce's hand was forced into changes that we probably all acknowledge he would not ordinarily make - does he really take credit  or should we not all offer the praise to Davis that is due his way?

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

But given that Bruce's hand was forced into changes that we probably all acknowledge he would not ordinarily make - does he really take credit  or should we not all offer the praise to Davis that is due his way?

I'm sorry Dave, i don't buy all that.....the academy kids are developing and having a positive impact on on our team.

peter withe was commenting that he was talking with Steve Bruce at BMH pre Norwich and Keinan Davis was being discussed and Steve was saying that the kids were being considered for that game

These things take time.....there will be setbacks like Cardiff as disappointing as they are.

we have now had back to back 4 goal returns that will do confidence no harm....and the goals are being spread out and decent performances spread out too.

i don't expect any steve bruce doubter to change their opinion, but some of the comments that are levelled against him are very dubious at times.

whatever we say, will make no difference....if steve bruce wins games he is in the job.

ps Ron Saunders was forced to sign peter withe because he missed out on mick ferguson.....was he to be denied credit for that......give SB a break Dave.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm sorry Dave, i don't buy all that.....the academy kids are developing and having a positive impact on on our team.

peter withe was commenting that he was talking with Steve Bruce at BMH pre Norwich and Keinan Davis was being discussed and Steve was saying that the kids were being considered for that game

These things take time.....there will be setbacks like Cardiff as disappointing as they are.

we have now had back to back 4 goal returns that will do confidence no harm....and the goals are being spread out and decent performances spread out too.

i don't expect any steve bruce doubter to change their opinion, but some of the comments that are levelled against him are very dubious at times.

whatever we say, will make no difference....if steve bruce wins games he is in the job.

ps Ron Saunders was forced to sign peter withe because he missed out on mick ferguson.....was he to be denied credit for that......give SB a break Dave.

My point TRO remains if GA were fit/available would Davis have started? I think not so I don't think it can be called a SB Masterstroke in all honesty imo 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If he starts winning games and has us up challenging the haters need to back off. Let's see how we do at Bristol on Friday. 

play football like last 2 games and keep winning nobody will have any complaints 

• Like 1

Maybe Bruce has stumbled on the recipe for success with this bunch - competition for places! Bruce replaced a team that scores 4 and gets another 4 goal performance from a different set of players.

Davis had a blinder Saturday and Hogan suddenly finds goals. Green nets and then so does Bjarnasson. That's 6 goals from midfielders in two games - about f**king time they chipped in.

Let's hope this continues in the league now and the lads go on a really strong run. If they win a load of games in a row, opposing teams will show up on match days shitting themselves. 

Brucey, I'm not shy in voicing negativity when we lose so - well done tonight. It was brave to change a whole team but you did it and it paid off :thumb:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If he starts winning games and has us up challenging the haters need to back off. Let's see how we do at Bristol on Friday. 

I didn't know we could dictate which opinions other posters post, and when !!!! 

No fair!   Can we start the forum over?

Perhaps it was not just the players that needed a confidence boost in order to play, but the manager too. After the last two games hopefully SB will have the confidence to play a more attacking format. Either that or he has just blundered into a couple of wins without really knowing why and he'll just as easily blunder back into the ineffective stuff that has blighted the last 10 months. Hopefully it's the former and we can expect more exciting football from now on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

My point TRO remains if GA were fit/available would Davis have started? I think not so I don't think it can be called a SB Masterstroke in all honesty imo 

Dave, I understand your points, but I still think it comes across a bit heads you lose Tails you lose.

Steve Bruce is far from perfect.....that i agree on, but issues can be levelled at most managers.

i read comments from other managers who rate him overall as good manager in this league.....and i emphasise.....overall.

My opinion of him gets tested at times, cardiff being a point in question.

These things are a marathon not a sprint and he has to pick players HE feels he can trust to do the job.....he will be challenged with Experience or Youth.

Youth can be brilliant or poor, they can be up and down, its tricky.

There will always be divided opinion on Experience and Youth, generally they offer different things.

I am not going to tell him how to do his job.....its his call and his decisions will determine whether he stays in the job or not.

lets just enjoy the last 2 wins despite our opinion of the opposition, because thats another downer some will use.

• Like 1

Â